The Trinity Square disaster

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rebuild the Church and reinstate the Cemetary complete with Graves, (they won't mind) oh yes then the 'Bus stops' number 6 to Bestwood,17 to Bulwell,18 to Edwards lane,and 28 to Bestwood,.........tha

More than sure (well those over 50) can remember sitting in this queue (if you had a car that is?) copper there drive round again.  

ah yes Trinity sq,lovely old church and Graveyard,surrounded by the buses,6,17,18,28,.and all the little shops,mechanics picture house opposite victoria station which was next door to marsdens restuar

I had just taken that as being an NCT Leyland! Route A1 went well into the 60's and early 70's going through Cinderhill and up Stockhill Lane. When it became Trent the route became a no 230 but ran very infrequently. The 'normal' B1 route became 231 at the same time.

The one following the trolley is a green NCT Daimler CVD6 bought in 1949. There were 15 of them, plus another 16 with a different style of body. At this time I think they were allocated to Sherwood depot, and used on the Arnold routes and the 31 Mapperley.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Trinity Square and surrounding area in the late 40s. Holy Trinity church is upper centre; Victoria Station is top left; the road going up the right side is Parliament Street. The white space in the lower foreground is where the Poly-Uni Newton Building would be.

trinitysq_zpswenrw4oi.jpg

They ripped the heart out of Nottingham when they destroyed market square ,I absolutely hate it and try to avoid it if I have to go into town .

• Upvote 1

Time to regurgitate my poem, freckles, in the General Chat forum - Demolished Memories, page 195 dated 21 June 1914.

• Upvote 1

Trinity Sq is also extremely draughty and doesn't lend itself to an evening of outside dining.

Although I like Prezzo's.

just back from visit to Trinity Sq. No words, just want to cry, went up that staircase to the top, something about cinema 1 and 2 and hairdresser and eatery, only thing of interest beehive stood watching the bees, got more life in em than anything i saw today, they knocked down the multi storey car park then built another on the spot where me and the late wife did our courting in Byrons pub. Fly2 said dont go, why do i never listen, done with Nottingham goin to try Sheffield next week, must be somewhere they favour historic buildings, places etc.

• Upvote 1

Going back to those old haunts is never easy, Terence, even years later. Probably why I moved to Georgia. I know we can't reverse time, but that whole area looks so much better in those old photos. I suppose we are creatures of the age we were born into. Those born in the eighties and nineties are probably inclined to think this is the way it always was. To them that is so.

RE:#143

Chulla I have been in that garden when I did a paper round in that area in the early 70's,some of it is still there behind Hari's News but on a smaller scale.

The bank and what was the building society ( now a restaurant) shared it.

The 'secret' traffic monitoring cameras certainly were, we had a trip down there when I was in the Scouts around 1973!

• 3 months later...
On 12/8/2009 at 2:43 PM, mick2me said:

Planners under fire from council's own leader (Nottingham Evening Post)

MULTI-MILLION pound redevelopment in Nottingham's Trinity Square has been condemned – by the city council's own leader.Coun Jon Collins is so angry he has publicly condemned the design of the public space.

"This is one of the worst pieces of urban design I have seen in the city in 20 years as a councillor," he said.

HeHe I actually saw the real life plans as My father and other local buisness men were invited too see the plans at the planning office in the council building in market square.I went with him too see the plans they were not very detailed no 3D mock up just the plans all in colour but difficult too tell exactly what they were on about. The guy who invited us was not very forth comeing on what inpact it would have. I could tell they were going through with it no matter if anyone had an objection .

On 7/4/2016 at 0:22 AM, iandawson said:

Weren't Nottm traffic lights controlled from beneath the car park?

Yes all the traffic lights and street lights  and the first town centre cctv were all controlled from under Trinity Square car park.

There was a set of stairs near the 3 phone boxes that were there leading down under the top end of the car park.

I used to see alot of comeings and goings mostly traffic wardens and a few bus drivers I think they went down there just to hang out for a cup of tea  lol.

I knew a lot of trffic wardens they used to sneak down the back alley of the Moulin Rouge to get into the kitchen for a cup tea many times I walked into the kitchen there would be as many as 6/7 traffic wardens bus drivers the odd taxi driver yapping away shhh dont tell anyone lol I knew alot of them really were nice guys skivers but nice heheI

In those days the traffic wardens didnt bother motorist so much only if you were doing something dumb like parking in the middle of the road I never saw any of them handing out tickets they would just tell you to move if you doing something silly. Many times they let me off parking on double yellows hehe

Trinity square was like a meeting place for them as central police station was just around the corner. didnt hurt to grease a few palms in those days :)

I will tell you there Problem with the redevelopment of Trinity square is all those new buildidngs were desighned for big companys not the small buisness that built Nottingham.

I will tell you all a real shocking secret.

The rent is stupid high were talking only huge companys can afford example were poundworld is next to Waitrose the yearly rent if I remember  i asked the estate agent who was advertiseing it was between £150 000 and £250 000 a year I know as I asked about it for a cafe.

I think if I remember was £150 000 plus rent  £100 000 buisness rates. a year

Also the leases for thease buildings  have service charges simlar to full repairing and insuring lease that means the roof leaks you pay on top of that you have to pay their buildings insurance that is not cheap were talking £10 000's a year

It gets worse usally with all buisness leases you are responsable for the rent even if you go bust you usally have a get out clause after about 5/10 yearsas a typicall lease is around 15 years and unless you can sell up and pass the buisness to someome else or use the get out clause guess what yup you still have to pay the rent.

Hay gets even worse when if you sell your buisness as by now you ready for a heart attack  as a 80 hour week is normal for small buisness men

The person you sell the buisness too goes bust or decides not to pay the rent guess who pays yup you do lmao win win win for the big companys.

Yes my heart stopped I could not believe the rent was so high that and the buisness rates no way can any small buisness can afford even half that its plain greed.

The city centre developments around the UK as a whole are built by investment  companys for companys all makes them rich and the country poor.

It is delibarate pushing the small buisness out for the sake of greedy companys and no it does not benefit the comunity small buisness create more wealth per capita and jobs as the money goes back into other local buisness while the companys just hoover up the cash and poof its gone out of the local comuninty.

So that is why Trinty square has changed.

• 2 years later...

City Treasurer handled the contract parking - £20 a month (1970 prices). The contract area had its own entrance, so no queueing for them. Made a couple of visits to the control room, via the lower entrance. I never saw so many posh cars, Astons, old Bentley etc. Different world.

• 6 months later...