The Trinity Square disaster

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rebuild the Church and reinstate the Cemetary complete with Graves, (they won't mind) oh yes then the 'Bus stops' number 6 to Bestwood,17 to Bulwell,18 to Edwards lane,and 28 to Bestwood,.........tha

More than sure (well those over 50) can remember sitting in this queue (if you had a car that is?) copper there drive round again.  

ah yes Trinity sq,lovely old church and Graveyard,surrounded by the buses,6,17,18,28,.and all the little shops,mechanics picture house opposite victoria station which was next door to marsdens restuar

Apparently the seats are meant to signify where previous graves from the old churchyard lie. Where on earth do these people get their ideas...

Trinity Square is a disgrace and an abomination. There was real potential here to make something attractive in Trinity Square. I'd echo the thought regarding the ugly multi-story car that was previously on the site, it was actually useful, albeit an eyesore.

Compare it with this:

NTGM009395.jpg

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM009395&prevUrl=

• Upvote 1

Just to pee you all off , I had a brief wander through there in November and thought it looked 'not too bad' !! Seen better places and of course I've seen far, far worse.

Trinity Square developer loathes his own scheme

http://www.thisisnot...tail/story.html

THE developer of Nottingham's controversial Trinity Square said today: "I am ashamed of it."

Robert Monk, of Monk Estates, delivered a scathing attack on the city council for allowing it to be built.

He said: "I am ashamed of the scheme. I don't want my name associated with it. It should never have got planning permission."

His comments follow those made by city council leader Jon Collins, who said it was the worst piece of urban planning he had seen in Nottingham in 20 years.

Mr Monk said: "I spent four years of my life assembling the site and getting planning permission for Trinity Square. It was such a big scheme we had to present it to councillors at a special event.

"So many different councillors had so much input and so many different ideas on what it should look like, and they were so forceful in their interpretation of what a building should look like, that the planners made a list of all the comments and said we had to incorporate them all.

"So we have ended up with a camel designed by a committee. To keep everybody happy, they put a bit of everything in it.

"It is appalling."

Mr Monk claimed planning officials designed the open square using feedback from councillors to keep them happy.

"Someone wanted a tennis court to play ball games.

"They don't live in the real world. These people know nothing about what they are doing."

Mr Monk developed the £70m Trinity Square in conjunction with retail developer Helical Bar.

Mr Monk, whose company developed the successful Castle Wharf scheme spent four years battling with the city's planners to get the plans approved.

"Our architects weren't happy either but, at the end of the day, the councillors tell the planning officers what they want."

Barry Horne, the city council's corporate director of environment and regeneration, declined to comment.

• Upvote 2

Stu's post #32 shows the Square when Holy Trinity church was still there.

I wonder what the public reaction was when the church had been reduced to this

trinitysq_zpsgfmkd86l.jpg

And I bet there are people here now who remember Trinity Square when it looked like this

trinitysq2_zps6zngdvtu.jpg

• Upvote 3

Now they could have made a nice square there Cliff.

Instead of ploughing through the 'Old' Market Square.

Did they rename it to New Market Square.

I can remember as a little kid, catching a bus to Edwards lane est',to visit relatives,it left from the old Trinity square

The conversation on the bus was all about the church being demolished.

An old guy said to my mum "the council were doing what the Germans couldn't".

• Upvote 1

Looking at Cliff Tons picture of a half demolished Holy Trinity church, he asked what the citizens thought of it. The word RAGE seems to sum it up! Most likely half of a garage ad, but very apt.

bet monk still took his cut of the redevelopement money even if his thought his desighns were rubish.

The bus in the 1960s picture (Firbeck's pic.) would have been the 49 to Bestwood Park Estate. the 64 used to stop behind it, closer to the camera. I agree that the church looked ok and would add that the original Mechanics looked good too. (pics anyone?)

• 5 months later...

Went through the area a few days ago, and some of the disasters are not quite as disastrous as they were.

A few months ago one partly-completed building (on the left) has now turned into this (on the right)

both_zpsd1e76291.jpg

And from another angle up the road, I have to admit it looks pretty good

wide1_zps3a4a0033.jpg

I do think we're sometimes a little conservative about modern architecture and how it can improve areas of a city, however, the Trinity Square development is a dreadful design (niether modern nor classical) - in my opinion it's already looking a bit tired; I wonder what life-span they put on these buildings?