The Trinity Square disaster

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rebuild the Church and reinstate the Cemetary complete with Graves, (they won't mind) oh yes then the 'Bus stops' number 6 to Bestwood,17 to Bulwell,18 to Edwards lane,and 28 to Bestwood,.........tha

More than sure (well those over 50) can remember sitting in this queue (if you had a car that is?) copper there drive round again.  

ah yes Trinity sq,lovely old church and Graveyard,surrounded by the buses,6,17,18,28,.and all the little shops,mechanics picture house opposite victoria station which was next door to marsdens restuar

• 4 months later...

I have not been into the City Centre since the car park was demolished, which was an eyesore in any event. I have a book "Nottingham - Ciy Beautiful" which is a collection of photos from all around the City showing new building works from about 2009, and Trinity Square does not seem to feature in it! It could be that the "development" had not been completed when the book was published in that year. (From the photos on this thread, it seems it still has not been completed.)

I have to say that looking at the way the City has altered over the years as shown by these photos, I would be hard pressed to recognise some of the areas were it not for the streets themselves.

One of these days some fool will come up with the brilliant idea of building a giant Tesco in the middle of the Old Market Square. No doubt it will be tarted up with twee little Noddytown towers - as they do, and who knows, the Council House could then be pulled down and turned into a multi-storey car park. Remember, you read it here first, and I hereby claim intellectual property rights for the idea. :dry:

:biggrin: .....'and the Theatre Royal would make a good charity shop': No thank you, can you imagine the Pong in passing a Charity Shop that size? :biggrin:

Disgusting Sight thumbsdown : the Charity Shop at the entrance to upstairs Victoria Centre, next to 'The House of Frazer'.

Disgusting Sight thumbsdown : the Charity Shop at the entrance to upstairs Victoria Centre, next to 'The House of Frazer'.

I saw it this afternoon. I was very surprised to see that in there!

Nobody seems to stay long in that very end bit though. I used to like the mini Boots where you could get a drink or snack before catching your bus.

If there wasn't a need for charity shops,I don't suppose there would be any in the first place.

There are so many unfortunate people that cannot afford to buy a new winter coat from C&A, or a new duvet to keep them warm on a cold night.

I have worked with homeless and poor folks,and on more than one occasion, given them the coat off my back.

You do not have to patronize these shops, but I would ask you to donate any old warm clothing.It really is needed, at this time of year.

• Upvote 1

I allus thought C&A was a Nott'm institution, been away to long.What did they replace it with?.

Don't need winter coats Mick, but I'll see what I can do about the tickets, if you have a free week-end. :huh:

C & A were - and indeed still are - a Dutch company. They pulled out of Britain around 2000. Their old premises are now occupied by H & M who are Swedish, and have no connection with C & A other than having a name which is also two letters of the alphabet.

And everybody goes to Primark now anyway.

I can remember as a little kid, catching a bus to Edwards lane est',to visit relatives,it left from the old Trinity square

The conversation on the bus was all about the church being demolished.

An old guy said to my mum "the council were doing what the Germans couldn't".

When I used to use Trinity Square buses in the forties going to and from work the buses using the square as terminus were the No. 18 to Edwards Lane estate, the No.17 to Carey Rd. Bulwell via Heathfield estate the No.6 to Bestwood estate and the No.2 to the City Hospital.

Dennis

Nit-picking again, as usual - wasn't it a 29 to the City Hospital? (2 was the peculiar route from Goldsmith Street to Valley Road, via Mount Hooton Road, Bentinck Road, Gregory Boulevard and Hucknall Road). Later on there was also the 28 that went to Padstow Road. At that time all buses went round Trinity Square anticlockwise. Which stop was which - I seem to remember the 6 (and possibly 28?) was the one on the north side (i.e. back to Victoria station).

:)Charity Shops, are definitely an excellent idea as long as they're well run.

I came across a brilliant specimen in Oakham not so long back; in fact I believed I was entering a Gift / Bookshop and was amazed to be told by the kind Manageress behind the counter that the place was a Charity Shop. Bought some books and an exquisite embroidered tray cloth from here. :)

PS: In fact, it's one of life's pleasures to come across a fragrant, attractively displayed Charity Shop.

When I used to use Trinity Square buses in the forties going to and from work the buses using the square as terminus were the No. 18 to Edwards Lane estate, the No.17 to Carey Rd. Bulwell via Heathfield estate the No.6 to Bestwood estate and the No.2 to the City Hospital.

Dennis

I used the Trinity Square bus terminus twice a day going to and from work from Aug,44 until July 48 and I am certain the #2 City hospital bus ran from there most if not all of that time.

I wonder if people complained when they pulled down the old Exchange buildings?

One of these days some fool will come up with the brilliant idea of building a giant Tesco in the middle of the Old Market Square. No doubt it will be tarted up with twee little Noddytown towers - as they do, and who knows, the Council House could then be pulled down and turned into a multi-storey car park.