The Trinity Square disaster

For all you councillors reading this: How about this for a brilliant idea.....Pull down the ugly dysfunctional Victoria Centre and replace it with a Neo Gothic railways station. You could still use the name of Victoria centre and call the station "Nottingham Victoria". There are some big holes in the hills either side of Victoria centre; when converted to a station they could be used to run trains through and gain access to the town centre.

Well, What do you think?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rebuild the Church and reinstate the Cemetary complete with Graves, (they won't mind) oh yes then the 'Bus stops' number 6 to Bestwood,17 to Bulwell,18 to Edwards lane,and 28 to Bestwood,.........tha

More than sure (well those over 50) can remember sitting in this queue (if you had a car that is?) copper there drive round again.  

ah yes Trinity sq,lovely old church and Graveyard,surrounded by the buses,6,17,18,28,.and all the little shops,mechanics picture house opposite victoria station which was next door to marsdens restuar

What a ridiculous idea......................who would wish to avail themselves of such a new fangled contraption as a steam locomotive, perhaps use the tunnels for transportation by horse & carriage of good Nottingham folk, also pigs n' geese.........................

Whilst we are proposing good ideas what about rebuilding Maid Marion Way in order to lose the title of "Europe's ugliest street" ?

Nit-picking again, as usual - wasn't it a 29 to the City Hospital? (2 was the peculiar route from Goldsmith Street to Valley Road, via Mount Hooton Road, Bentinck Road, Gregory Boulevard and Hucknall Road). Later on there was also the 28 that went to Padstow Road. At that time all buses went round Trinity Square anticlockwise. Which stop was which - I seem to remember the 6 (and possibly 28?) was the one on the north side (i.e. back to Victoria station).

Yes, the 29 was the Ciy Hospital bus - did it terminate in the hospital grounds? Perhaps it only ran during hospital visiting hours - I'm just guessing at that.

You're right about the 2. I can't remember where it left from in town, but it went by an obscure route, then eventually heading up Hucknall Road to Valley Road and along there to Daybrook (I think). So you could have got a 2 and walked up from Valley Road to get to the City Hospital. But the 6 and the 28

went right past the entrance - or an 18 or 49 went past the Edwards Lane entrance to the hospital at the other end.

Re the 2 - it can't have been a very well-used route, as in the early to mid 1960s at least it was often worked by single deckers, in the days when NCT only had four or five of them.

• 11 months later...

So much for saving money. I think sometimes the council change things just so they can say they've done something.

• 1 month later...

Here's how your Council Tax is wasted. Less than two years after it being "developed", part of Trinity Square is being dug up again because they've realised it was a total mess first time.

Here's the new "square" being created yet again. Hopefully it won't be any worse than the previous effort.

trinity2-1.jpg

trinity1-1.jpg

The biggest joke of all is that they've now decided to create an "attractive, flexible muti-use space". Why didn't anyone think of that before?

trinity3.jpg

• Upvote 1

ah yes Trinity sq,lovely old church and Graveyard,surrounded by the buses,6,17,18,28,.and all the little shops,mechanics picture house opposite victoria station which was next door to marsdens restuarant. what was wrong with all that?//and all next to Foreman st newspaper offices,london Herbalist,a pub,cant remember its name,empire cafe and the peach tree pub,saw a few stars of the day in there,David whitfield,mike Winters and the footballer flip Le Flem. it was all ok,happy days.

• Upvote 3

And that picture shows it treeless.Timber Hill as it was called (now South Parade) had I believe 7 huge Elm trees that must have added much to the character that was praised by many early writers.The perspective is all over the place...but by the look of it the painting was made roughly from outside The Bell.

Yes, the 29 was the Ciy Hospital bus - did it terminate in the hospital grounds? Perhaps it only ran during hospital visiting hours - I'm just guessing at that.

You're right about the 2. I can't remember where it left from in town, but it went by an obscure route, then eventually heading up Hucknall Road to Valley Road and along there to Daybrook (I think). So you could have got a 2 and walked up from Valley Road to get to the City Hospital. But the 6 and the 28

went right past the entrance - or an 18 or 49 went past the Edwards Lane entrance to the hospital at the other end.

Re the 2 - it can't have been a very well-used route, as in the early to mid 1960s at least it was often worked by single deckers, in the days when NCT only had four or five of them.

The route of the number 2 is viewable from the excellent bus route map that Cliff Ton posted back in 2010

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7151&hl=%20bus%20%20maps

I remember catching this bus with my dad in the mid 60s. We used to catch it on Gregory Boulevard to go into town and then walk down to Meadow Lane for the football.

I recall it being a single decker on a few occasions. A real novelty.

One Saturday we were late and missed it so we quickly walked up Noel St at the side of the Forest and caught it as it came across Bentinck Rd on to Mount Hooton Rd. I think we started to do that regularly when dad worked out the short walk meant the fare was less!

• 5 months later...

I agree it's difficult to tell. :happy:

In the new version (on the right) there is some re-designed concrete seating and the addition of a few split-level bits to add to everyone's enjoyment.

To be fair, when you are there it seems a lot better than the old version. But that wasn't difficult.

trinity2-2.jpg

Apparently the seats are meant to signify where previous graves from the old churchyard lie. Where on earth do these people get their ideas...

Trinity Square is a disgrace and an abomination. There was real potential here to make something attractive in Trinity Square. I'd echo the thought regarding the ugly multi-story car that was previously on the site, it was actually useful, albeit an eyesore.

Compare it with this:

NTGM009395.jpg

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM009395&prevUrl=

On post 32 of this thread, what is the interesting looking building on the bottom right?

On post 32 of this thread, what is the interesting looking building on the bottom right?

This.

mechanic.jpg

This was the Mechanics Institute/ Cinema, extending all the way back up on the left of the photo. Look at what is in this location today - isn't progress wonderful.

• Upvote 1