The Trinity Square disaster

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rebuild the Church and reinstate the Cemetary complete with Graves, (they won't mind) oh yes then the 'Bus stops' number 6 to Bestwood,17 to Bulwell,18 to Edwards lane,and 28 to Bestwood,.........tha

More than sure (well those over 50) can remember sitting in this queue (if you had a car that is?) copper there drive round again.  

ah yes Trinity sq,lovely old church and Graveyard,surrounded by the buses,6,17,18,28,.and all the little shops,mechanics picture house opposite victoria station which was next door to marsdens restuar

This.

mechanic.jpg

This was the Mechanics Institute/ Cinema, extending all the way back up on the left of the photo. Look at what is in this location today - isn't progress wonderful.

Wow, that is a magnificent building. Thanks very much.

By the way, I went to a comics fair in the monstrosityof a building where TK Max etc is now. That must have been around the late 80's. Don't tell me the Mechanics swapped that lovely building for the successor? If so, it can't have lasted that long.

Post #106: My father worked on that building. He was a floor layer.

I couldn't give a toss, it's depressing and draughty. The only good thing in the area is Prezzos.

Rebuild the Church and reinstate the Cemetary complete with Graves, (they won't mind) oh yes then the 'Bus stops' number 6 to Bestwood,17 to Bulwell,18 to Edwards lane,and 28 to Bestwood,.........that would be nice.

• Upvote 3

I walked past earlier today as they were setting up the stage. Have to say in fairness to the much maligned Trinity Square that it now looks a very usefully laid out space to have small events such as today's. An improvement.

Can't quite fathom the 'mini Madison Square Garden; chat but the article below shows how it lends itself to events now.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Trinity-Square-mini-Madison-Square-Garden-new/story-22056333-detail/story.html

6573901-large.jpg

• 4 months later...

This image caused some confusion on a railway Facebook page yesterday, sorry about the quality. A lot of people couldn't separate it from the many demolition photos of Victoria station. Some thought it was printed in reverse :-) But it is the demolition of the Mechanics Cinema or Institute is it not?10891761_1552271205029548_34175239642608

I agree that it is Vic Station and the Hotel. In the "reversed" photo we are standing inside the entrance of Vic station looking to the Clock Tower on the outside, and we see the Hotel slightly set back from the Clock Tower (which it still is). The Mechanics building was this...........

mechanic.jpg

And that isn't this building (on the left).

mech-2.jpg

looking at the window surround of the demolished building, the same as the pic of the Mechanics, the building behind is part of the YMCA on Shakespear st., have many very happy memories of the Mechanics Cinema

I'm with Commo on this. Perspective seems all funny. Vic station clock tower is on the same side as the Vic hotel. Has this picture been photoshopped or something. Surely the station clock tower should be behind the photographer and on his left?