The Trinity Square disaster

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rebuild the Church and reinstate the Cemetary complete with Graves, (they won't mind) oh yes then the 'Bus stops' number 6 to Bestwood,17 to Bulwell,18 to Edwards lane,and 28 to Bestwood,.........tha

More than sure (well those over 50) can remember sitting in this queue (if you had a car that is?) copper there drive round again.  

ah yes Trinity sq,lovely old church and Graveyard,surrounded by the buses,6,17,18,28,.and all the little shops,mechanics picture house opposite victoria station which was next door to marsdens restuar

The arrow in Cliff Ton's posting above is pointing to the gable end of the station building (which has the clock tower in the middle of it). Remember this photo has been reversed. The original photo in briyeo's posting makes perfect sense, with the Mechanics being demolished in the foreground centre of the picture and beyond it from left to right, the clock tower, the gable end of the station building and the hotel.

Remember the hotel didn't look the same from the back as from the front. If we were looking from inside the partly demolished station we'd be seeing the back of the hotel.

• Upvote 1

Got it now :biggrin: . I agree the original photo was the correct way round.

We are inside the mess which is the demolition of the Mechanics; those 6 semi-circular windows belonged to the Mechanics building, they are nothing to do with Victoria Station.

@ Cliff i think the building with your red arrow pointing on the opposite side to the hotel would have been the gable end of the Trinity Church

Trinity Church was demolished many years before Vic Station was demolished.

It's interesting isn't it :-) Looking at the posts here I nearly changed my mind again. The partly demolished building has 7 arched windows same as the Mechanics, the ones we see are on the side wall that would have had the next building up against it, so they are not complete windows like the ones that face the road. The brackets we can see on the lower part of the remaining wall would have supported the gallery seating. This is the interior that shows the seating.NTGM005587.jpg

@ Cliff i think the building with your red arrow pointing on the opposite side to the hotel would have been the gable end of the Trinity Church

1619395_770346989673412_3222772195706990

Well you learn something everyday. Now I know why it is Trinity Square!

• Upvote 2

The aerial picture is nice. What interests me is the square of buildings to the right of the Trinity church - corner of Milton and Parliament Streets. There appears to be a nice garden in its centre.

It seems to me that there were three buildings in that area that shouldn't have been demolished - Trinity Church, Mechanics Institute and Victoria Station!

• Upvote 1

Agreed. From this pub.......

pub.jpg

I knew it well in the 70s/80s when it was called The Regent - and then Bluberry's - but at the time of this photo and of the Vic demolition, it operated under another name.

When I look at this scene all I see is the EMGB building on Woodboro Rd, all a bit sad.....

• Upvote 1
On 1/3/2015 at 0:07 PM, notty ash said:

Are we really looking at the same church as the one in the over head photo - post number 145? Everything about it looks different, including the tower which has a steeple in one shot but not the other.

To help you resolve the problem.....the old photo in #144 is taken from Milton Street looking up Burton Street; the Mechanics would be just out of sight on the right. The large tree in the left foreground is hiding the "smaller" end of the church which you can see facing onto Milton Street in the aerial photo.

And as StephenFord mentioned, it did have a spire but that was removed / demolished quite early in its life.