• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank You Cliff Ton for the Meadow Lane photo, it shows the houses & houses mean people. What memories these revive! Gants, the sheet metal works was started by a bloke named Quinn, across the oth

This is Grainger St. Off Meadow Lane. The house on the left just before the entry is where I lived until I was 16 years old.

You confused me for a few minutes there BilboroughShirley, because I couldn't find the place. Until I discovered it's spelt Moreland Street, and then it all made sense. This map shows what the housing

Posted Images

I have a childhood memory of going to the cattle market with my dad for some reason and seeing a chicken being killed.  The man wrung  its neck then swung it round by its legs, finally bashing its head on the floor ......horrible.  I forget so many things nowadays - I wish I could forget that particular incident...

BilboroughShirley, this is a photo of Grainger Street which, as you can see from Cliff Ton's map, is a couple of streets away. The space on the right of Moreland Street was wasteland and the space at the bottom, between Moreland Street and Holme Street was also wasteland. This is the place where we had our bonfire every year and everyone from the area used to come to it. In the bottom right hand corner of Cliff ton's map, on Freeth Street, you will see a space. This is where the fuel depot was and when the bonfire was blazing away you'd always get the fire brigade come flying down Moreland Street with the lights flashing and sirens blasting out. This was always the highlight of the night for us kids. All the houses on all the streets were the same so you'll get an idea what Moreland Street looked like. I lived on Grainger Street from birth until 1960 and it was always a friendly area with little bother. I also put another photo of myself in Grainger Street on the 'Railway & General thread'.

Grainger_Street_Photo.jpg

By crikey demolished...........that must have been some task, they were solid concrete and thick too with large steel doors.

Back in the 80s when Anglo-American imported the weaponry of a complete Chinese battalion armoury they used one of those warehouses as a weapons store. It was the one that backed on to the Trent Basin off the Trent, full to the gunnels, never seen so many guns in one place.

• 1 month later...

I ticked the like button on most of these posts because they bought back so many memories of my younger days going along Meadow lane and visiting the Cattle market with my grandfather,is there any pictures of the Magpie pub,I remember we always had to stop there not because my grandfather had a drink but so I could see the "model" of a magpie in the cage that was ontop of a pole outside the pub

Rog

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2015 at 11:56 PM, BilboroughShirley said:

Thanks Cliff Ton. This map is so helpful as I work out which districts my dad's friends and mum's cousins lived in. I had not realised that Carlton Road is in St Anns. Thought it was Sneinton. Getting my head around it!

I was born and bred in St Ann's and was amazed that Carlton Road was classed as St Ann's. I thought St Ann's finished at Bluebell Hill,  before getting on to Carlton Rd, also when getting to the end of Alford St.