Bubblewrap, is it possible for you to download your photo onto this page?.

Sorry at the preasant no .

I don't have a working scanner & cash is a little tight.

Other Co-op factories hit on the night of May 8th/9th 1941 were the boot factory(total loss0 cheese factory & garage (minor damage)

Information NOTTINGHAM CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY LIMITED 1863- 1944

also hit on the night of May 8th/9th night was (amongst others) the southern end of the Nottingham Suburban Railway , The Moot Hall(pub) University College(Shakespeare Street) & Notts County Football ground.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank You Cliff Ton for the Meadow Lane photo, it shows the houses & houses mean people. What memories these revive! Gants, the sheet metal works was started by a bloke named Quinn, across the oth

You confused me for a few minutes there BilboroughShirley, because I couldn't find the place. Until I discovered it's spelt Moreland Street, and then it all made sense. This map shows what the housing

A friend was speaking about the bombing of the CO-OP bakery in 1941 and when I looked it up I came across this article. BY a cruel stroke, the last three bombs to fall during Nottingham’s deadliest

Posted Images

i belive many said that there target for that night was netherfield with its siddings and petrol depos and the pilots mistook meadow lane end for netherfield, if they had it netherfield it would have been a very different place when i was growing up or maybe i would not have even been here, who knows or i may have been brough up somewere completely different.

• 9 months later...

Didn't really know the road "east" of NCFC that well, in fact never went along it till working at Blackburn and Starling London Rd 1962 when I discovered the railway bridges on there, later for many years was regular visitor to Yorkshire Heating plumbers merchants Sneinton End and recall a scrap yard opposite it though thought that was Pownalls? Remember it closing and a rumour (not sure if true) either a bomb or shell found in masses of scrap there and bomb squad called in, STILL NO photos of bridges or "tunnel" that end found

STILL NO photos of bridges or "tunnel" that end found

Ashley, take a look at this link. I think it's close to the kind of thing you are looking for. When you get to the first photo, click on "Older" at the top right and go through several more photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gwoodward/3231818373/in/photostream/

• Upvote 1

Ashley, did you know Ken Henstock from B&S?

He worked there from 1968. They would have been on London Road then and I was also given a job there in 1968.

When I decided to stop on for the 5th year instead, they told me to come back in a year. I ended up going to the Coop as an apprentice electrician.

a charlesworth, here is a section of a post I put on last year regarding Trickets which were on Trent Lane.

I also remember Trickets because when I was about ten we'd put the rags into a pram and I'd go and weigh them in for cash. They'd weigh the rags and then the woolens as you'd get more money for the woolens. I remember one time they found some big stones in the pockets and I was told if it happened again I'd be banned. When I told my Dad he just laughed and said "You can't win everytime". Obviously, the stones made them heavier so you would get more money.

Ashley, another name to test your memory from Blackburns - my cousin Leslie Palmer who would just have come out of his apprenticeship in 1962. He was there for quite a few years but I cannot remember when he left.

Isn't it funny how things in your memory seem bigger, better etc than when you again see the real thing! (thanks for pointers to photos Cliff Ton) Going East up Meadow Lane there was The Midland (lady bay) 2 tracks, the Midland Level Crossing 2 tracks, The GNR London Rd 5 tracks, The GNR/GCR Weekday Cross 2 tracks and finally The LNWR Manvers St 4 tracks, have seen photos of all now bar the latter! but the 2 latest don't seem the same as I remember? maybe it was the LNWR one that is stuck in my mind?

Sorry Compo don't recall that name either

MICHEAL BOOTH WHAT SCAMS CAN YOU REMEMBER FOR EARNING SWEETS AND TOY MONEY MINE WHERE SELLING BULL RUSHES FROM ROBIN HOODS STREAM WHICH RAN JUST PAST RIVERMEDE FLATS DOES ANYONE REMEMBER . ALSO SELLING FREE FOOTBALL FIXTURES THAT SKETCHLLEY CLEANERS PRODUCED. WE WOULD GO INTO TOWN TO THE BIG COOP I WOULD SPIN THE REVOLVING DOORS MY MATE RICHARD COOKSEY WOULD SPILL OUT ONTO THE PAVEMENT PRETENDING TO BE INJURED WE WERE ALWAYS OFFERED BUS FARE TO GET HIM HOME.ME MAM HAD KILLED ME IF SHE KNEW.SOMEONE WROTE OF ANOTHER SCAM WE USED THAT WAS SELLING MONEY OFF COUPONS TO SHOP KEEPERS.THERE USED TO BE A PLACE ON RYELAND CRESENT THAT GAVE US BROKEN POP AND BEER CRATES WHICH WE CHOPPED UP AND MADE FIREWOOD BALES THEY ALSO GAVE US SAWDUST WHICHALSO SOLD WELL.MY MONEY MAKING METHODS WERE ENDLESS.

a charlesworth, with all your scams you must have been the richest kid in your area...lol. When Notts County FC were playing at home motorists would park their cars in the streets off Meadow Lane. When the cars came to park on Grainger Street, where I lived, my friend and I would approach the drivers and ask them if they wanted us to look after their cars, to keep them safe. Normally, they realised that we're after some spending money and we would take what they offered. If they said "No, it'll be ok" then we'd tell them that a lot of cars have had the aerial snapped. After a few seconds thinking that they'd miss the sports results and reports as they drove home, they'd dip into their pockets and give us something.

We did use to look after their cars until they'd all gone although the risk to their cars was minimal...lol

Extra pennies often came from shoving paper up the rejected coin chute of telephone boxes.

returning later to remove paper and collect coins.

mick to me nice telephone scam wish id thought of it .there was a kathrine carol and josie cooksey i think also a post from acooksey under Heasons.Micheal booth you reminded me of a time we approached someone visiting the poets corner and asked him if he wanted his car washing we agreed a price and set about cleaning his car it was an ugly looking forign car with running boards on both sides istepped onto one to wash the roof nnd it fell onto the floor needless to say i did not hang around to get paid.

I thought i would list some of my customers when i was a kid to see if anyone remembers them Bens book shop/ was a record shop next to bridgeway hall on arkwright st .i used to fetch his sarnies he paid me with handful of pennies from the till. A bit further along just past andy bones bike shop was Mr Palmers i cant remember what he sold but iused to wash his car.further along stillwas Stoppards pawn brokers i used to mop the floors and help serve in the shop i also washed his car at both shops the other shop was on st annswell rd next to stoppards was a tool shop was a cheese shop again icleaned his car and served in the shop worked there abit when i left school. anyway they where my customers in that bit of the meadows. Inbetween those shops was lyons sweet shop where ispent my money she sold chocolates that had been in the window and turned white they tasted ok and you got alot foryour money ..

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I learned yesterday after speaking with my aunt (90 years old), that her uncle, my great uncle Jack Robinson, died in the bombing of the Co-op bakery in 1941.

My grandmother brought me up as a child and never spoke of the loss of her brother, the only indication of her grief and the only time I ever saw her cry, was during the playing of the last post when watching the remembrance service on the television. She once commented when asked why she was so upset,"the tears are for those who lost their lives in the war." I wish she had opened up and told her story, unfortunately she's no longer with us and I cannot comfort her.

I know very little about the event, but would be grateful to hear from anyone who knows more, photographs would be welcome, it might be my aunt would recognise Jack and indeed some of the employees.

kind regards,

Liam

• Upvote 2

Welcome to Nottstalgia Loxley.

Are you aware of the exact location of the bakery? I believe it was along this stretch of Meadow Lane, and the building now named 'Nottingham Office Equipment' is a survivor of the bakery complex. The rest of what was bombed was further on to the right. https://goo.gl/maps/p0hnj

And if you haven't already found it, take a look here, in particular for the one-and-only post by grenuk. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7823&hl=%2Bmeadow+%2Blane#entry168625

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking on Google maps satellite view at Moorland Street. It looks like an industrial estate. My father was born in Moorland Street and is there in the 1911 census as a baby with my grandparents. In 1966 he took me out in the car one afternoon and showed me the house where he was born. It was Moorland Street, and I remember brick terrace houses with doors straight onto the street. It looked nice. When his mum died in 1917 they lived on Port Arthur Road. She died of TB at home, another thing that surprises me as other threads on this site give information about isolation hospitals in Nottingham and people with TB went there. I guess they had to pay. My dad would always get very upset whenever I got a cough. It must have brought back bad memories. I wish I had asked him more questions about his childhood. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Does anyone on the forum know when the houses on Moorland Street were demolished and why? The family moved from Moorland Street to Port Arthur Road sometime between census day in 1911 and January 1917 but the houses in both roads looked very much the same to me. Was Moorland Street an area where people did not stay very long and was it in the Meadows or in Sneinton? My dad liked Sneinton. My parents lived there when they were first married.

Sorry about all the questions but I am trying to get my head around what it was like in the area and the members of this site are so helpful and knowledgeable that I hope someone will have some information.

Being on nottstalgia is so much better than the Eurovision Song Contest!

• Upvote 1

You confused me for a few minutes there BilboroughShirley, because I couldn't find the place. Until I discovered it's spelt Moreland Street, and then it all made sense. This map shows what the housing arrangement was; it seems to have had some strange gaps which were never built on.

uzb5d6C.jpg

And you can decipher this photo if you look at it in conjunction with the map. Might be the only photo of Moreland Street you'll see.

sK5ZLP3.jpg

Nottstalgia regular Michael Booth lived on nearby Grainger Street, and he has posted several photos and comments about the area.

• Upvote 3