• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank You Cliff Ton for the Meadow Lane photo, it shows the houses & houses mean people. What memories these revive! Gants, the sheet metal works was started by a bloke named Quinn, across the oth

You confused me for a few minutes there BilboroughShirley, because I couldn't find the place. Until I discovered it's spelt Moreland Street, and then it all made sense. This map shows what the housing

A friend was speaking about the bombing of the CO-OP bakery in 1941 and when I looked it up I came across this article. BY a cruel stroke, the last three bombs to fall during Nottingham’s deadliest

Posted Images

Thank you so much Cliff Ton. The map and photo are brilliant. I can see where my dad took me now. He was born at number 89. This has made my day!

Thank you so much for the brilliant photo and explanation. The houses look just as I remember when dad drove me around the block. It seemed very nice. This is why I was amazed to find the industrial estate on google maps. Also your details about the waste land helps me to build a picture. My dad talked about playing with a ball and hitting/kicking it against a house wall and getting told off. He would have been playing there. Your help has made my day. I will look at the other threads you refer to.

Michael, Cliff Ton and TBI it is great to be part of this community where members are so helpful.

A few months ago I drove to the Meadow Lane area for a nostalgic visit. I took some photos and video but it wasn't anything like I'd known from living there. The whole area is now full of industrial units. The row of shops on Meadow Lane, between Grainger Street and Brand Street, were still there but not all doing the same type of business. As I walked around, a million memories were flooding my mind and at one point I could feel myself getting emotional. Silly, isn't it. I drove along Daleside Road and looked around but it wasn't the same as I'd known it as a kid. As I drove home it went through my mind that it might have been better if I'd kept my memories rather than see the reality of how it is today.

• Upvote 1

I agree with you Michael, many of the changes are not for the better. I was horrified the first time I drove past the new Bilborough College, built on the original playing field. The original Evening Post office where my dad worked has gone. Farmers where I worked in the holidays has gone. My mum came to Nottingham when she got married and after her mum died she would not go back to Yorkshire until she took me in 1986. We went on a mission so she could show me the places she knew and talked about. We had a drink in the Commercial at Esholt, where they used to film the Woolpack for Emmerdale Farm. This was one of her locals. We made it fun mother and daughter time and I will never forget it.

• Upvote 1

Thank You Cliff Ton for the Meadow Lane photo, it shows the houses & houses mean people. What memories these revive! Gants, the sheet metal works was started by a bloke named Quinn, across the other Brand St. corner was Mrs Rossiter then Wakes, fish & chips, Mrs Geary Ladies Hair dresser, Mr Brunton postmaster & newsagent, a butchers with Mrs Makey's on the corner of Grainger St. her husband had a small dairy business further down the street. I think they're the only ones left standing!

We moved into Grainger St. in the early 1930s, on the opposite side to you Michael between Parr's & the Oldknows then round to No.25 Brand St. between the Rudds & the Wells families, 1939 saw us crossing the street to No.10, quite 'upmarket' for the area with a 3rd. bedroom on a level built out over the kitchen, the gable ends being plainly visible in the middle of the photo, my bedroom being the 3rd. window (remember waking me Michael, playing football in your backyard with a tin can when I was on nights!) Mum & Dad stayed there until the house was demolished with so many memories as elder brother Len, sisters Eve & Sheila grew up, courted & married from No.10

2015%20No8026_zpskx3mkhwp.jpg

Mum & Dad together with all 4 of us all achieved the 'Golden Anniversary' and , of course, took the Grandkids back to no. 10. More memories!

2015%20No8019_zpsnnf9hzof.jpg

• Upvote 6

Can Michael, Albert or anyone clarify whether these streets are in actual fact Meadows, Lady Bay or Sneinton, or maybe even Colwick. I see it's in the Medders section, but as a Medders lad, to me London Rd was the boundary and wouldn't have extended down to the end of Meadow Lane.

I've heard this area referred to as Sneinton and also by a pal who lived for a short while in Brand St in the 70s. I see it is currently in the Dales Ward which includes Sneinton, not Meadows, which is Trent Ward. However I noticed in a map on the Railway and General thread, the area is shown as Trent Ward. Did it change at some time?

I think it's Sneinton looking at this boundary map; it just fits into the area. Maybe it was different in the past, but I also think it's too far from the Meadows, and I don't think Lady Bay can cross the river.

ikylTLi.jpg

• Upvote 2

I did a search a while ago regarding Meadow Lane and The Meadows/Sneinton border. It showed that Meadow Lane, up to near the level crossing near Daleside Road, was in The Meadows and past that point was Sneinton. We always regarded Grainger Street as being in the Meadows.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Michael, so perhaps one of those border-line places that maybe changed from time to time and could be either, depending on one's viewpoint.

Be a laugh if Albert came on and said ' No, it's Sneinton '. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Have you got any idea when the photo (#90) was taken, Cliff Ton?. On your photo (#90, near top, right) you can see the triangular wasteland area I refered to in my reply to BilboroughShirley (#84) where we had the bonfire. The two areas of land above the railway line, near the bottom, was a scrapyard on Holme Street that was owned by Billy Watts. He lived in a house opposite his scrapyard.

Have a laugh with me TBI, these 5 streets were always a bit of a 'No Mans Land' but i do remember in the local elections it was Sneinton councillors who came canvassing. Len Pilsworth & Dickie Ashworth with blue streamers & Mrs Hyatt with red! Another conundrum was which school to go to Sneinton Boulevard or London Rd./Trent Bridge, I think it was about 60/40 in favour of Trent Bridge, brother Len & I went to "Boulo" while Sisters Eve & Sheila went London Rd.(infants) then Trent Bridge.

Take care Michael you're trespassing if you claim that triangular bit of land, thats the 'little tip' Brand St. property & Bonfire site! The Morelie gang had the 'big tip' for their fire but not on that black oval patch that was the 'football pitch' shared by all! I think Grainger & Holme St. were restricted to that bit of the little tip bordering Freeth St for your fire. which annoyed Mrs Seaton at the last house but it was only once a year and we all mucked in anyway.

Thanks Cliff ton for another thought provoking picture!

• Upvote 1

The Morlie gang, trespassing, little tip, big tip, restricted???. You must be refering to something before my time, Albert. The only gang I knew of as I grew up was mine but it wasn't a gang, just a bunch of mates. I wonder if you can remember any of them: Douglas Edwards, Len Willis, Georgie Panter, Eddie Holt, Chris Dilnott and you may also remember David Chalmers who lived opposite me on Grainger Street.

Albert, I'm so sorry to kick the can around in my back yard and keep you awake when you were on the night shift all those years ago (#89). I've been filled with remorse since you mentioned it, resulting in me having to receive counselling. Doctor Quack advised me that the best thing to relieve my anguish would be to buy you a pint when we meet up. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...
On 13/05/2015 at 8:44 AM, Loxley said:

I learned yesterday after speaking with my aunt (90 years old), that her uncle, my great uncle Jack Robinson, died in the bombing of the Co-op bakery in 1941.

My grandmother brought me up as a child and never spoke of the loss of her brother, the only indication of her grief and the only time I ever saw her cry, was during the playing of the last post when watching the remembrance service on the television. She once commented when asked why she was so upset,"the tears are for those who lost their lives in the war." I wish she had opened up and told her story, unfortunately she's no longer with us and I cannot comfort her.

I know very little about the event, but would be grateful to hear from anyone who knows more, photographs would be welcome, it might be my aunt would recognise Jack and indeed some of the employees.

kind regards,

Liam

Hi Liam your aunt is she called Joan if so its my dads sister my dad is harry I'm Caroline 

Welcome to Nottstalgia Sulley1928.

Liam, who you quoted, only ever made that one post and has never logged in again since, so he probably won't see your reply. You could try sending him a Personal Message - hover your mouse over his name on his post and then click on "Message".   But we can't guarantee he will see it.

This thread has suffered badly from the Photobucket ransom demand, and a large number of photos are now missing. So here's a couple of new ones to fill some of the gaps.

Meadow Lane is up the left; Lady Bay Bridge still has trains on it; and Notts County ground is just creeping in the bottom left corner.

2dytH3J.jpg

Another, with some of Sneinton appearing in the top background.

oy7UmSn.jpg

• Like 1

I have a childhood memory of going to the cattle market with my dad for some reason and seeing a chicken being killed.  The man wrung  its neck then swung it round by its legs, finally bashing its head on the floor ......horrible.  I forget so many things nowadays - I wish I could forget that particular incident...

BilboroughShirley, this is a photo of Grainger Street which, as you can see from Cliff Ton's map, is a couple of streets away. The space on the right of Moreland Street was wasteland and the space at the bottom, between Moreland Street and Holme Street was also wasteland. This is the place where we had our bonfire every year and everyone from the area used to come to it. In the bottom right hand corner of Cliff ton's map, on Freeth Street, you will see a space. This is where the fuel depot was and when the bonfire was blazing away you'd always get the fire brigade come flying down Moreland Street with the lights flashing and sirens blasting out. This was always the highlight of the night for us kids. All the houses on all the streets were the same so you'll get an idea what Moreland Street looked like. I lived on Grainger Street from birth until 1960 and it was always a friendly area with little bother. I also put another photo of myself in Grainger Street on the 'Railway & General thread'.

Grainger_Street_Photo.jpg

By crikey demolished...........that must have been some task, they were solid concrete and thick too with large steel doors.

Back in the 80s when Anglo-American imported the weaponry of a complete Chinese battalion armoury they used one of those warehouses as a weapons store. It was the one that backed on to the Trent Basin off the Trent, full to the gunnels, never seen so many guns in one place.