I ticked the like button on most of these posts because they bought back so many memories of my younger days going along Meadow lane and visiting the Cattle market with my grandfather,is there any pictures of the Magpie pub,I remember we always had to stop there not because my grandfather had a drink but so I could see the "model" of a magpie in the cage that was ontop of a pole outside the pub

Rog

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank You Cliff Ton for the Meadow Lane photo, it shows the houses & houses mean people. What memories these revive! Gants, the sheet metal works was started by a bloke named Quinn, across the oth

You confused me for a few minutes there BilboroughShirley, because I couldn't find the place. Until I discovered it's spelt Moreland Street, and then it all made sense. This map shows what the housing

A friend was speaking about the bombing of the CO-OP bakery in 1941 and when I looked it up I came across this article. BY a cruel stroke, the last three bombs to fall during Nottingham’s deadliest

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2015 at 11:56 PM, BilboroughShirley said:

Thanks Cliff Ton. This map is so helpful as I work out which districts my dad's friends and mum's cousins lived in. I had not realised that Carlton Road is in St Anns. Thought it was Sneinton. Getting my head around it!

I was born and bred in St Ann's and was amazed that Carlton Road was classed as St Ann's. I thought St Ann's finished at Bluebell Hill,  before getting on to Carlton Rd, also when getting to the end of Alford St.

Hi Mary ime with you about that, I too, was born n Bred on st Ann's well rd and  didn't think Carlton rd was classed as st anns. Does any body know how far it went the other way ? Like to the top of Alfred st north, or beyond. I'm sure some one with more knowledge than me will know.

• 2 months later...

Hi Michael thanks for the pic of Brand street. I lived by the last lamppost on the left number 61. Your name rings a bell, I think you said you lived in Grainger street, next one on from Brand Street. Can you remember Graham love at all ? he lived at the bottom end nearer Freeth Street, carnt remember the number. also Paul and pete cumberpatch, Billy and Kenny Watts from home Street, Stuart Miles oh Maureen Swinn from Grainger Street and many many others. I lived on Brand Street from 1952 until 1971.

• Like 1

Hi Phillip Cox

I lived on Grainger St at the same time you were on Brand St although I can't remember you. I think you were probably my younger brothers age group ( Mick Farrell ) I recognise all those names you mention and can recall lots of others many of whom have been mentioned in previous posts about this area. Did you have an elder brother ( Melvin)

• 11 months later...

Hi Philip, 'Clifton' provided this photo some time ago.

https://postimg.cc/TySBVvMp

It must have been taken about the time we moved into the bottom of Grainger St., early 1930s. Then the family mystery starts somehow in the next 6/7 years we moved 'upmarket' into first 25 Brand St.then across into No.10 Brand St. (3 Beds. & a 'hall' entrance!) where Mum & Dad stayed until rehoused prior to demolition, my wife & I leaving in 1953. The only "pull" with the agent that we can put these upgrades down to is a 'clean rent book' possibly a rarity in the 1930s!

• 6 months later...

Hi all , I have been reading and looking through your posts . Very interesting . I was born at 65 moreland street meadows in 1972 . My parents married there too and their wedding certificate has the full address on from 1972 . We used to live next door to smurfits waste paper factory . Where my dad worked from the 60s to 1990 when he passed. My mum also worked there until she had me and was very poorly . But we moved to clifton in 1973 as I was the 4th child . 

I believe that the houses next to the space on previous photo of empty land was where smurfits fitted in and in 1973 they got knocked down to extend the smurfits waste paper factory. I have pics of us outside . I'll see if I can upload them and find them on my phone. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, been reading thread with interest. Does any one remember a grocery/off license shop on Meadow Lane run by Charles Bennett and his wife Florence Bennett during 1930s and early 1940s ? My father Michael Bennett was born there in 1937, they moved to Boston Spa, (Yorkshire) in 1942. Not sure if it was near Grainger street or not. Father showed me house/shop about 30 years ago, but when I went past few years ago didn't recognise the area. 

• 10 months later...