Connecting External hard drive to WiFi network.

I want to connect external storage to the home network for use by all computers.

I have a 1TB drive, and need something that connects to the USB input.

If that will also connect to a normal printer to add that to the network as well that would be good too.

Anyone got any ideas how this can be done?

Hi Mick. It sounds like you need a network attached storage device. The cheapest way would probably involve using an old pc, it can be quite an old one, nothing special and then use that as a server connected to your network. You install a small operating system specifically written for this purpose on a small usb memory stick plugged into that spare PC and that enables you to access your 1 tb hard disc inside that PC. The software is free based on Linux. I have a magazine article of how to do this. Fairly straightforward but you do need some computer knowledge. Or I am pretty sure you can buy a network attached storage device that you would either physically or wi fi connect to your system and away you go. It would almost certainly come with a hard drive inside which you already have so you would be paying for something you already have but it would be the easier route.

Have a look at this. http://www.pcmag.com/reviews/nas US based but you'll get the idea.

Tanks for the reply Spider, I am a little busy today will have a look at it later.

I thought I might be able to get something that just connected to a power supply and the USB connections of devices?

Heres two things I saw

Belkin WIreless G All-in-one Print Server

TP-Link TL-PS310U Single USB2.0 Port MFP Print and Storage Server

We use a router, it's WiFi, but of we want can couple our two computers together as a "network" if we wish, fairly cheap too. The ATV2 is connected to it too, plus my spare computer.

You can even get a router/Modem from your ISP with multiple outlects, Cat5, reasonably priced, most are WIFI too. As the OP said, set up a network with an old computer.

My wireless router is downstairs.

I want the USB Backup drive (personal cloud :)) and a USB printer(if possible) upstairs.

Therefore its got to be wifi.

I can then use my laptop upstairs and down stairs without having to plug and unplug it to the the upstairs printer.

Also SWMBO and daughter can also access the printer/drive wirelessly?

I'm not up on WiFi Mick, just made some suggestions as questions, having everything hardwired causes RF problems for me without having problems from WiFi devices, so never went wireless with anything.

My Apple2 device is "hard wired" via a Cat5 cable, as it will carry a higher bandwidth than WiFi..

We do have a couple of wireless modems the wife picked up from rentals she has cleared out, but I use me trusty modem feeding my router.

Just as cheap to use "off the shelf" cables with plugs attached, got loads of them of different lengths for "nowt".

It couldnt get much further apart.

Front ground floor right hand bottom corner front of house to rear top left hand corner on the 1st floor (2nd if you are american?)

there is no easy route for a cable.

Don't have that problem being just one level, the living room is just next door, so the Cat5 Ethernet cable goes through the wall directly into the ATV device.

Haven't you a telephone line to the upstairs room?? I'm presuming you are on a DSL internet connection??

Do you have a filter then from one side is telephone the other internet??? If so you have DSL, I doubt you'd have dial up these days, they are going out fast.

Wasn't sure whether you had DSL or fibre optics, cable or whatever....

It doesn't matter if you use WiFi, or hard-wire it, you still need some kind of "server" to hook the drive into the network. As was suggested, you can use an old computer configured as a server, or you may be able to buy a "stand alone" add-on server but you can't just plug the drive into a network - you need something that gives it an address, and handles the traffic.

You can get inexpensive printers these days that have both wired, and wireless, servers built-in - I use a HP 6500 Wireless printer that works very well - the advantage is I can print to it from my laptop, or my desktop - and because it is wireless, I can use my laptop anywhere in the house. You should have no problem covering your entire house with a single wireless router.

Thanks Eric

I have a wifi printer but its expensive on ink and cant be refilled.

I have an older USB printer for which I bought a Continuous Ink system.

Thats the one I want to adapt to wifi.

I dont really want to leave a computer running in that room.

I will keep looking for a printer server to connect them.

Hi Mick. I set up a wireless printer using a DLink wireless usb print adapter. It was a pain in the a*rs*. Very flaky and worked 50% of the time. Constantly having to re set it. If you set up a server or networked attached storage device then you could access what it was you wanted to print from anywhere in the house so maybe you wouldn't need a print server as you could print from the Pc where your printer is. Maybe that's not what you want but I would recommend you keep it as simple as you can. My neighbour has a printer with built in wi fi and that works a treat 99% of the time. If you network all your PC's together and the printer you want to print to is attached to a pc on your network then you should be able to print to it as a 'networked' printer from any of your PC's on the network.

I have tried the external print server too (in fact, I also think it was a D-Link) and also found it very temperamental! I switched to the HP6500 simply based on per-print costs - the HP was far cheaper than anything else, and is MUCH better than the Canon I was using (also wireless). I have also tried getting refilled cartridges in the past - and after about a week's worth of use they had ruined the printer so badly it was beyond repair! Now I stick to the HP ones and have zero problems.

Western digital 2tb network drive Wifi $100, Next time your over they will be $50 lol

Mine works ,Easy to setup Backs up everytime something is changed

After buying a computer that would eat hard drives every 3 months this was my saviour

All my computers back up to it

Just an extra, I always back everything up with a CD/DVD copy as well as external hard drive. Hard drives fail! As an extra, make sure ALL CD's/DVD's are kept out of sunlight!!! Sunlight WILL corrupt the data on them!!!

If you think this is a myth, leave one in the sun for an hour or two and try accessing the data on them.... I got this warning from an IT expert who has his own business.

Western digital 2tb network drive Wifi $100, Next time your over they will be $50 lol

Now ya tell me, just recently got back from Las Vegas, where I spent a few hours in Fry's Electronics!

Fry's aren't the cheapest!!! Tiger Direct are probably the cheapest, but mostly mail order...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/

They have sales here every week some you just cant resist lol

Didnt take me long to get a new Camera to replace the one the Bat broke .

Got a WiFi one this time just to try (Can always take it back ) No way is this going back the reveiws didnt do it justice.