• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I left school I started work at the Listergate store in 1972 until 1974. It was a great time but very hard work. All the stock was ordered from a warehouse based at Castleton. Every item of a vas

Everybody over the age of about 40 remembers Woolworths on Lister Gate, especially its massive cafeteria, which was bigger than most shops. In the 60s they seemed to have stores all over Nottingh

i remember Woollies down bottom of Hockley mam would take me and sister to Sneinton Market going from City Centre up to Thurland St. then down Hockley passed Wigfalls, (pay rental on Telly set), and i

A number of posts mention Woolworths here in Australia.

There is no link to F.W.Woolworth and Co in the UK. It started off here as Wallworths Bazaar Ltd, a rather obvious play on the UK and US company name.

Having found that the Woolworths name was not registered in Australia they adopted the name Woolworths Limited in 1924.

As many have said, they along with Coles have the lions share of the fresh food and dry goods market. 

Aldi have aggressively entered the Australian market, LIDL/Kaufland are also planning to increase their presence in the Australian Market.

The shopping streets of many towns and cities have been decimated by the closure of Woolworths and many other of the other chain stores such as BHS and M&S, as shopping habits change.

We owned a mobile phone store in our small town for a few years.  The big stores were selling them as a sidline cheaper than we could buy them from the cell company.  Folks would come in, play with our stuff then go home and buy online.  We sold out while there was still a market.  We'd had enough.

9 hours ago, Brew said:

Here it's not closures that are killing the High St it's the opening of big stores out of town.

The closing of the stores in the town centres has left the centre of many towns empty hulks. Yes, it is happening here too particularly in the CBD as parking charges increase and the council reduces spaces and time available for free parking. Joe public has voted with their feet and gone to the out of town shopping centres where parking is free.