Huntingdon Street bus station

...and not the glorified layby's such as is seen in the present day Victoria Centre.

2766278_f520.jpg

Anyone have any images from the 1960s (apart from those on Flickr)?

We used to catch the Mansfield 62 (seen here in Mansfield) which was pretty much like this (later changed to a number 63):

tt1363.jpg

Another shot of one at Huntingdon Street:

tt1367.jpg

Fond memories of being taken to Victoria Baths for swimming then in to Central Market and if I was lucky getting a Matchbox car!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

192. I'm like you, Carni. I love it when someone posts a new - old picture. Its one of the things that makes NS great. I just stare at Cliff's aerial pictures and many others also. Try to enlarg

The queue for the last bus on Saturday night! A social occasion in itself - smoking, giggling, snogging, eating chips, crying, saving places for your mates, falling out, falling over, Oh yes! And

Loppy,Margie and Carnie.............lovely that you all have fond memories of Nottingham,but you know you all did the right thing,anyway its good to travel and spread your wings,............ive travel

Posted Images

I used to catch the Hucknall bus daily during my first year with the NCB, week about, one week at Tech and next week at the old Number 1 pit, which was the training centre.

Thanks CT.

I used to catch the Hucknall bus daily during my first year with the NCB.

The Hucknall bus in the 1960s was the number 84 if I remember rightly J. I used to catch it with mum to go to her mum's house in the centre of Hucknall every Saturday. Seemed to take forever as a kid (are we there yet?!)

I don't recall the number Stu, I know I should riding it twice a day five days a week for a year, then twice a day for a week every couple of months for the rest of my apprenticeship... Just some trivia we tend to forget over the years.

Either way, used to get off at the Byron cinema, the Tech was on the Nottm side of Watnall Road.

The second photo there is particularly atmospheric. I much preferred the days when many of us simply headed to the Market Square for our bus home. It all made so much sense, maybe it would be different now I don't know.

Even this place seemed superior to what we have now:

http://www.pictureth...008537&prevUrl=

NTGM008537.jpg

Showing the 'new' bus station in Victoria Centre (built over the old Victoria Railway Station). This took over as Nottingham's main bus station, which was on Huntingdon Street. Victoria Centre Bus Station served National as well as local bus services. This has now been closed and refurbished as shops, as part of the Victoria Centre extension of the 1990's. A smaller bus station on York Street was then built for some local bus services, and most national services now operate from Broadmarsh Bus Station.

Date of Image:

20 March 1996 Form of Acknowledgment:

David Bradbury

Copyright © North East Midland Photographic Record. All rights reserved.

In the photo posted by Cliff Ton; anyone know which direction the shot was taken from?

theres a very interesting building in the side street, top right quadrant, with 5 'Belgian style' parapets(?), is it still there?

Mount Street picture : the platforms were numbered (from the bottom of the pic) 4, 5 and 6 - not sure where 1, 2 and 3 got lost! 4 was all Midland General, 5 was mostly Bartons (but also Midland General A4 and F9), 6 was mainly Trent, but also the Midland Red X99 to Birmingham.

For Hucknall, where my grandparents lived, there was surprising variety - no less than five different routes. From Huntingdon Street, the 84 (Sutton in Ashfield) was the most frequent, via Hucknall Road and Moor Bridge. The 63 Chesterfield via Mansfield (joint with East Midland 12A) went the same way, until it was merged much later with the 62 (Mansfield direct). Alternatively you could catch the Midland General B8 (Mansfield) via Bestwood Village, or F4 which started from Broad Marsh but stopped on Huntingdon Street itself. This went to Beauvale Estate, via Basford and Watnall. From Mount Street there was the 60 (HUcknall Market), 60A (Ruffs Estate), 60B (Beauvale Estate) or 61 Mansfield - which all went via Radford Road and Bulwell Market. Finally there was the 83 (East Kirkby) - which started about 1952 and was quickly re-numbered 61B. This went along Nuthall Road and Cinderhill Road to Bulwell.

• Upvote 1

Hi Thomas, good to see you back posting. :)

Thanks for some interesting photographs here, I especially like Stu's first one of Huntingdon Street Bus Station and Cliff Ton's of double deckers stationed at the Market Square (love the mistiness captured in this photograph). :)

Greetings Stephen Ford,

Please Sir, which one went out to Wollaton? It left from Mount Street in the bus lane nearest the camera posted by Cliff Ton on the 24th. It was an F something from memory and the bus colours may have been blue or green.

You are right Ash I would get off the radford bound 43 trolly bus to visit Pearsons toy department on the top floor.

Before resuming the journey on the same ticket, Trent Bridge to Bentinck Road, '3d' (2.5d = 1p).

I dont remember that central bus parking area about that time? (1963-1965)

Hi Trevor S. The Wollaton services were D9 (Birchwood Road), E1 (Strelley Lane) and F5 (Wollaton Vale). These forked left along Wollaton Road - north side of Wollaton Park, then up through the village. The F5 then turned left at the Admiral Rodney, down Bramcote Lane, while the D9 and E1 carried on the rejoin the direct road (Russell Drive) at what was always known as Doctor's Corner. The B2 and C6 which went on to Ilkeston, Cotmanhay and Ripley, went straight along Russell Drive. The F9 (Kirk Hallam) did the same, but I seem to remember had a special rule that you couldn't get off before the Balloon Houses cross roads. They were all Midland General/Notts & Derby blue buses.

• Upvote 1

Daytime picture of the Old Market Square must be in the period 1950-1953. The type of trolleybuses seen were not delivered until 1950 and Queen Victoria's statue on the triangle where they are waiting was removed to the Victoria Embankment in 1953. That was when the layout was changed to a roundabout at the bottom of Market Street. From other pictures I have seen, the stop where the motorbus in the foreground is, was for the 3 (later 58) to Radford, and I suspect it would start by turning sharp left into a two-way Beastmarket Hill, in order to go down Wheeler Gate. After the re-modelling, the bus stops were moved over to Beastmarket Hill and the whole area became one-way, the 58 doing a circuit of the new roundabout to reach Wheeler Gate.