Huntingdon Street bus station

#113 - The other blue bus, that did actually start from Huntingdon Street was the B8 to Mansfield, that headed straight up Hucknall Road, alongside Bulwell Forest and passing Bestwood Colliery.

And the conductor was Don Mallatratt :)

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

192. I'm like you, Carni. I love it when someone posts a new - old picture. Its one of the things that makes NS great. I just stare at Cliff's aerial pictures and many others also. Try to enlarg

The queue for the last bus on Saturday night! A social occasion in itself - smoking, giggling, snogging, eating chips, crying, saving places for your mates, falling out, falling over, Oh yes! And

Loppy,Margie and Carnie.............lovely that you all have fond memories of Nottingham,but you know you all did the right thing,anyway its good to travel and spread your wings,............ive travel

Posted Images

My memories of hunto bus station are a little left of centre-( typical ) having a car we seldom used it for transportation. Was there a single decker bus used as a cafe?- i seem to remember a bus with yellow film on its windows, and a window hatch? Do remember at the rear - facing electric station- waiting sheds- dark and dingy . Cattle market Kate and wino's drinking meths mixed with milk ( called-'jack') lurked in the gloom! Was there toilets near a parcel office? We used to scurry past quickly with a pram loaded with laundry for Bath st. washouse- making sure to avoid those nutters on bikes dellivering telegrams! Micheal is right- when you type these memories a mini movie plays between your eyes.

My 1'st memory of Hunto BS is catching the Hall Brothers bus to Chester-le-Street as a kid when I went to live there, took ages to get there, stopped for tea & coffee at Doncaster & Leeming Bar, filled up with diesel at Darlington.

Used to catch the B8 from bestwood village to Hunto then the 25 corpo bus to Arnold & Carlton college when I was there for day release (mining craft C1,C2 ect) from Hucknall pit. BTW I passed so can't be that thick. I learnt to use a slide rule & log tables, that has come in really useful since; NOT..

For a brief time, I would say around 1965-ish, a single decker bus was used as a café at the old Broad Marsh bus station. In the period from around 1963 onwards I don't ever remember one being used as a café at either Huntingdon Street or Mount Street.

Huntingdon Street used to have a café or two, directly across the street from the bus station. Definitely no buses used as cafes at Huntingdon when we used it in the mid to late 50s.

Am pretty sure I recall a single decker "cafe" used many times on saturdays on trent embankment near the toilets in the football season?

ps went to Sheffield last week, in, on ,around the tram routes for an hour,didn't see a single tram

• Upvote 1

I remember the bus station to be a bit of a scary place late at night when I was about 17 wanting to catch the 25 home, preferably via Mansfield Road. I remember someone had told me that there were prostitutes lurking there and you knew who they were because they wore ankle chains!! I didn't wear an ankle chain for years after that in case anyone thought I was one! I remember I always felt safe once I was on the bus as I only had a few hundred yards to walk home down a friendly road when I got off

I used the Huntingdon St Bus Station every day from Gedling: going to and from work. I used to catch the Red 67 or 67A and also the Green 25, also late at night on Sundays,returning from W-Ton.

Margie, I remember the tale about "Ankle Chains", and I wouldn't wear one, until they came back in fashion in the 80s. I don;t know if it was true or just a joke, but I remember the saying that the Prostitutes used to write the price on the bottom of their shoes.Lol. I don't know how that worked! There was a time when I believed everything anyone said.I think it's called naive

Back to buses. I used the 25 Green Bus, often to and from Westdale Lane and Huntingdon Street, but even though I can picture myself using the bus stops near the Westdale Tavern, I don't remember the route taken. Probably because I was to busy enjoying my Park Drive! I can't remember if I felt worried on my own at the bus station at night, or come to think of it, on the walk up to the estate at the end of the journey: often from the last bus. There was a bus called the "Paddy Bus" seems to ring a bell,if we had missed the last one?

• Upvote 2

#136, i was conductor in 1964-5 on NCT me and Driver used this bus/canteen on service 56/60, from Bilborough, we parked at terminus on Granby St, now Maid Marian Way, the canteen was parked on a little waste ground at back of Odeon cinema

• Upvote 1

I remember that NCT mobile caff used to be parked at Trent Bridge sometimes, in front of the toilets. I don't recall any others being parked there, that section was always very busy, being a main stop for WBUDC and NCT turnround.

Back in Huntingdon Street, I'd never thought about what was there before the bus station. It's Smith's Yard, Crown Court, Millstone Place etc. The disused prison became the Central Market, and Millstone Lane was renamed Huntingdon Street.

huntingdon_1.jpg

Re #135 - Carni, here's the route of the old 25 (from Summer 1959 timetable) : Huntingdon Street, Lower Parliament Street, Southwell Road, Carlton Road, Carlton Hill, Burton Road, Gedling Road, Westdale Lane, Mapperley Plains, Breck Hill Road, Thackerays Lane, Mansfield Road, Huntingdon Street. (it was a "circular" in those days.) In the opposite direction it was a 25A. It started out Huntingdon Street, Glasshouse Street, Union Road, York Street, Mansfield Road, then just the reverse of the 25. It took 24 minutes to the top of Westdale Lane via Carlton Road, or 21 minutes via Mansfield Road. The fare was 6d - which seems to have been the maximum on NCT, with only two exceptions - the 21 joint West Bridgford service to Edwalton, and the 68 joint Clifton service to Pastures Avenue, which both had 7d fares for the full trip. [Here endeth the first lesson!]

• Upvote 2

If I read about Huntingdon St bus station I always think of my mum in the 1960s, when she attacked my sister's boyfriend with her umbrella !

The boyfriend was quite a rogue ( to put it mildly) that my mum really didn't like and whilst she was waiting for the number 25 bus , happened to see my sister and matey walking by so launched her attack on him . Didnt do any good they still got married !

• Upvote 3