Huntingdon Street bus station

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

192. I'm like you, Carni. I love it when someone posts a new - old picture. Its one of the things that makes NS great. I just stare at Cliff's aerial pictures and many others also. Try to enlarg

The queue for the last bus on Saturday night! A social occasion in itself - smoking, giggling, snogging, eating chips, crying, saving places for your mates, falling out, falling over, Oh yes! And

Loppy,Margie and Carnie.............lovely that you all have fond memories of Nottingham,but you know you all did the right thing,anyway its good to travel and spread your wings,............ive travel

Posted Images

To be precise (pedantic?), the Bristol chassis were manufactured by Bristol Commercial Vehicles Ltd and the bodywork was by Eastern Coachworks of Lowestoft.

The Tilling Group was the part of the bus industry that was nationalised in the late 1940s as part of the British Transport Commission.

Midland General, Notts & Derby & Mansfield District were not actually part of the Tilling Group but were owned by Balfour Beatty. According to the website below, 'When the electricity industry was mostly nationalised in 1948, Balfour Beatty sold the Midland General Group also, to the British Transport Commission.'

http://www.timebus.co.uk/rlh/onu.htm

So they were BTC companies but not actually Tilling.

Also, there were several Tilling/BTC companies that had a red livery, e.g. Eastern Counties, Cumberland,West Yorkshire and others.

I quote from the link to which is refered "...The three* operators then became known as part of the Tillings Group..."

*The three operators being N & D, MGO, MDT

I'll try to post a photo of my Yarmouth 329 Bristol decker. It lives on our clifftop in North Norfolk overlooking the North Sea - a nice place for an evening drink, summer or winter alike :)

Don't want to split hairs, but "known as" is slightly different! Officially the Tillings Group ceased to exist when it was nationalised. From that time it became correctly the BTC Group, although it is certainly true that many people continued to use the old name as a handy title - and indeed still do. Basically at the time of nationalisation it made no sense to include a bus company in the electricity industry - not its core business and all that - so it was put into the newly nationalised transport organisation instead, where it was probably regarded as a bit of an ugly duckling - its fleet blue Weymann-bodied AECs contrasting with the uniform ranks of green and red ECW/Bristols.

OK. Slight change of tack - I was born and lived in Burton Joyce until around 1951 and I remember when Staythorpe A power station was being built by Balfour Beatty.

Each evening at about 4.30 - 5.00 a fleet of about a dozen old grey/blue double deckers would chase along Church Road in convoy taking the workforce back in the Nottm direction. They almost terrorised the villagers because, when I say 'chase', they did just that - it was obviously a race between them and they all had to keep up.

They were obviously old wrecks of pre-war petrol-engined buses and the noise of either unsilenced exhausts or misfiring, knackered engines drove us kids running yet we still had to turn up daily and watch and listen to the racket!

I never could say Balfour Beatty back then but, instead, called the daily 'display' the 'Belle View Beauties'.

• Upvote 2

Love it ! Yes, there were plenty of superannuated wrecks running round as contractors' transport. When I worked in Derby in the early 1970s, General Industrial Cleaners (GIC) of Borrowash had an ex-Crosville lowbridge Bristol KSW. It passed along London Road about the time I was heading for the train home, and I used to loiter near Midland Road traffic lights, hoping it would be stopped there so that I could listen to it pulling away in second gear.

• 1 year later...

And for me, could well have been me at sometime up to 1966 in that queue for the 25. Great image with the central market in the background. I can't quite get my bearings, is that the Palais also in the background? I suspect it isn't, but I can't remember, perhaps a pub, been a lot of years since I saw that view.

I used to get the bus from there and change at Leicester when going to visit relatives in Coventry.

IIRC it was a Barton's to Leicester then a Midland Red to Coventry. I also remember doing the second leg on a 'Black and White' coach in the early 1950s.

Col

Yes carnie its a pub,think still there Central or Market Tavern,Palais behind it.........On Huntingdon street near the bus depot there was always a Flower seller,when i was a teenager (18/19) i would always buy me mam flowers there on a Sunday morning,if I had been lucky on Sat.night,and if I walked in with flowers for her she wouldn't shout at me so much for being out all night,.........in fact there is still always someone selling flowers in the same spot.

• Upvote 2

Aint it a drab miserable looking street now,.........all the hustle and bustle long gone....................

#187 Market Tavern I think but I could be wrong. I worked with a woman who with her Hubby and some friends went there

every Saturday night.

What a pair of characters they were, went in one Saturday night with my boyfriend to see them the place was packed with a haze of

smoke hanging in the top halve of the room.

They all made us welcome and we had a right laugh most of them were market workers.

• Upvote 3

Haha, Chris reminded me that we used to go in there when he came over. Funny that, an outsider can remember the name but I can't. As soon as he said about it, I remembered. Every where has changed so much since I left. I would love for one day to go back in time to see all the places I remember and see again the ones I have forgotten.

When someone puts a new picture on, I get a lovely feeling. being transported back in time. The question is, "Would I have been happy if life hadn't taken a turn and I lived my life in Nottm and not W-ton". We will never know, but to see my family and friends again back in that time would be lovely. I certainly would cherish them a bit more, knowing what I know now. In my new adventure, all the people that were part of my everyday life over night became people I saw very little of. Now look, see what an old photo does to me. :biggrin:

• Upvote 5

I remember Robin Hood Coaches. Were they taken over by Bartons?

As benjamin says, it's a miserable and totally dead area nowadays but both the old Barton and Robin Hood garages (which were literally side by side) are still there, although nobody seems to want the nice art-deco Barton one anymore.

#188, Cliff Ton, I looked at your google shot, it appears to be a Chinese restaurant if you move to the RHS...........perhaps I'm mistaken?

Re #194 - You always started out for Devon or Cornwall on a Black and White, but mostly they only went as far as Cheltenham, which in those days was the coach equivalent of Crewe (or the wretched Birmingham New Street) - a hub where everyone from anywhere changed to go anywhere else! From Cheltenham you would usually go by Royal Blue on the Devon and Cornwall. (I say usually, because the old Associated Motorways network did an awful lot of borrowing, swopping and hiring in to cover the peaks - so it was certainly possible to continue all the way in a Black and White. In fact, on August Saturdays you might find yourself for several hours on an ordinary bus standing in for a coach.)