Huntingdon Street bus station

I'm like you, Carni. I love it when someone posts a new - old picture. Its one of the things that makes NS great. I just stare at Cliff's aerial pictures and many others also. Try to enlarge them so I can get an even better view.

Like you, I sometimes wonder how it might have been if I'd stayed instead of heading out to Canada. I did not have a bad life by British standards. A good trade, a decent job, a nice house. I could go on. I suppose it was a mix of wunderlust and a real fear for the future of the UK and my one daughter at that time. The other was born in Toronto.

That said, I would probably do it again if I had a chance. Canada gave me a good life and many new experiences and opportunities. I will always hold Nottingham and the UK generally in high regard though. It gave me my start in life. As I get older I hold it in increasingly high regard and the folks on here prove that it is still a great place.

• Upvote 9
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

192. I'm like you, Carni. I love it when someone posts a new - old picture. Its one of the things that makes NS great. I just stare at Cliff's aerial pictures and many others also. Try to enlarg

The queue for the last bus on Saturday night! A social occasion in itself - smoking, giggling, snogging, eating chips, crying, saving places for your mates, falling out, falling over, Oh yes! And

Loppy,Margie and Carnie.............lovely that you all have fond memories of Nottingham,but you know you all did the right thing,anyway its good to travel and spread your wings,............ive travel

Posted Images

I left Nottingham in 1960/61 when I went to live in a Nurses' Home at Harlow Wood Hospital, but as my parents still lived in Nottingham I still had strong links. After 1963, I transferred to Leicester Royal Infirmary and although I came 'home' to Nottingham every week or so, I never went out into town anymore as my friends were all at Leicester by this time.

But back to this thread about Huntingdon Street Bus Station ....... I used to get the Barton bus from here, to and from Leicester, sometimes going to sleep on the way to Nottingham after working nights... head bumping against the window!

• Upvote 5

#201 and#202, Had a good life here in the "Back Country", A good mix of good and not so good . I left Nottingham at a very young age, and being a very sensible OAP now, I can look back and see that I was not much more than a mere child, probably not a lot of sense. Just full of love for my husband so to follow him was the natural thing to do. No qualms at all. I would do the same again LL. The most perfect thing would have been to have everything that I have had over the last 50yrs only in Gedling.

Back to the thread.That way I would have been able to enjoy the bus ride along Colwick Vale into town anytime I wanted. No nodding off on that one Margie, It was like riding a Bucking Bronco, especially up stairs on the front seat. Can any of you remember that experience. I bet SueB48 can.lol

• Upvote 4

Loppy,Margie and Carnie.............lovely that you all have fond memories of Nottingham,but you know you all did the right thing,anyway its good to travel and spread your wings,............ive travelled to foriegn parts like Cambridgshire,Norfolk,London even Northants and tried to settle,.......but it did'nt work out for me,but i'm glad i did it (you pass this way but once).........got some great memories of the places mentioned and met alot of lovely folk along lifes highway.

My last return to Nottingham was over 30 years ago........due to Divorce and being a single parent,so Nottingham and family welcomed me back once more and still make me feel good.,...........must be a good place full of real people.........might even give it a little longer afore I spread my wings again...........................lol.

Edit............sorry I waxed a bit lyrical there.............but I suppose the old song 'pick yourself up,dust yourself off,start all over again'....really is true..........

• Upvote 7

In the early fifties an aunt of mine married a GI she met in Nottm during the war. She went to the US east coast of New England with her new husband.

I went over there many years ago & she always said she missed Nottm ! She visited Nottm a few times before she passed, although she loved her new life she always had regrets of leaving here beloved Nottm !

• Upvote 4

Re #194 - You always started out for Devon or Cornwall on a Black and White, but mostly they only went as far as Cheltenham, which in those days was the coach equivalent of Crewe (or the wretched Birmingham New Street) - a hub where everyone from anywhere changed to go anywhere else!

Here's a photo of a Black & White Leyland Leopard leaving Cheltenham Coach Station in the late 1960s. I don't seem to have photographed any in Nottingham.

Black20amp20White2023120at20Cheltenham20

That's one of my photos and it appears at #81 on this thread.

Now that's more like it M I

Only place I recognized on the Google maps pic was the Chapel. I think it was Salvation Army. Bottom of Bath street.

As others have said it has lost its character.

Edited to add: Huntingdon street bus station has some fond memories for me. The night I met my first wife at the YMCA dance. We wandered back through that dark walkway through the Vic Station and down Huntingdon Street to catch the bus for Gedling,

As Carni said that was a bucking bronco ride through Colwick vale to Netherfield and beyond. We had the upstairs of that Trent bus to ourselves and we didn't care. 1963 Happy days.

• Upvote 5

Benjamin1945 has hit the nail on the head - whilst Huntingdon Street bus station had minimal facilities by modern standards it had hustle and bustle in abundance - and was a place where both mundane regular journeys and special life changing and life enhancing journeys happened.

For me as a small boy Huntingdon Street was where we started a holiday by catching the Trent bus to Derby Airport for my first flight on a aeroplane. Later on in my late teens it was from where I first left Nottingham to go to college in Manchester - again on a Trent coach.

• Upvote 4

For me it is an interesting registration on the Leopard leaving Cheltenham Bus Station at #206 - 6781 DD. My 1962 Rover 100 is 5656 DD. Gloucestershire Registration.

• Upvote 1

Caught many a bus there when I attended school in nottingham in the 50's..............Was the Trent bus number 84....

Don't know how many destinations Trent buses had from Huntingdon street. Only one. I was interested in was Netherfield. That route usually went on to Burton Joyce via Gedling. Not sure if or where it went beyond there. Never paid any attention to route numbers. The ones I wanted always left from the same spot in the station.

The queue for the last bus on Saturday night!

A social occasion in itself - smoking, giggling, snogging, eating chips, crying, saving places for your mates, falling out, falling over,

Oh yes!

And the conductor crammed everybody on. Nobody was left behind.

If you had to stand there was often a friendly lap to fall into.

<sigh>

• Upvote 7

I was always friendly to you Eileen.................and you always put your Fag out before falling in my Lap................lol.

• Upvote 3

RE #213. Pity it wasn't like that a few years ago on Mansfield Rd near the Forest when that poor defenceless young girl was refused admission on the bus just because she was unfortunate enough to be 20p short on her fare. Nobody offered to pay the difference, although they probably all had spent a fair whack in town over the evening. Even the bus driver didn't turn a blind eye to the situation.

You've guessed it, she was then dragged into the undergrowth and callously and brutally RAPED by a disgusting savage.

The poor girls life as good as ended that sad night, and she will be forever haunted by that occasion.

Still, I bet all the occupants of the bus arrived home safe and well. However, I hope none of them ever sleep at night without recalling that incident. Barstewards one and all!

• Upvote 3

A driver on St.Albans Road almost did the same thing Fly,told a very doddery old lady that her stop was" here" she had used a little cash along with her pass.

It obviously wasn't her stop and she became upset...me in punk attire got up, comforted the poor woman and enquired as to the difference... 6pence!!

As I arrived in Trinno- I reported him to that lovely black inspector man.

I can honestly say that Huntingdon Street bus station changed my life.

I used to catch the old X2 from there on a Friday evening to travel up into Derbyshire rucksack on back. Met SWMBO who's from Buxton in 67 married in 71 and still happily together.

• Upvote 2

Do Trent buses still exist or have gone out of business or merged with another bus line?

Trent are still very much in business but when they took over Bartons some years ago, they changed their name to Trent Barton.

They don't seem to display it very prominently now though, they're more obsessed with silly brand names for every service they operate.

• Upvote 1

Relevant to some of the recent postings on this thread, here's a photo of a Barton AEC Reliance leaving their garage on Huntingdon Street. I think the X81 was the former Hall Bros Tyneside - Midlands service.

Huntingdon Street used to get pretty crowded with coaches on summer Saturdays but as far as I remember it was fairly unusual to see the garage being used as an overflow (although I think the holiday coach tours left from there) and was probably the reason why I photographed it. Or I suppose it may have gone into the garage for some technical reason.

Photo probably dates from the very early 1970s.

Barton20109620at20Huntingdon20Street20No

• Upvote 2

Re #221

Yes, you're right Chris.

I never know what bus to catch from Derby bus station to get to Breaston.

I'm just want to get the hell out of the place!

I think they call their service Indigo (?)

It's now supplemented by other services - the Y5 and something else that I can't remember.

At one time it was called the number 4 I think, but the same number bus used to split to different routes at Long Eaton and elsewhere.

Most confusing.

I constantly have to ask the driver if I'm getting on the right bus.

The only sure thing is the fare - which is ridiculous (£3.20)