Huntingdon Street bus station

Up the A614 not far after Leapool island, there is a sign saying Barton Farm in exactly the same style of lettering as on their busses.

Any family connection I wonder.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

192. I'm like you, Carni. I love it when someone posts a new - old picture. Its one of the things that makes NS great. I just stare at Cliff's aerial pictures and many others also. Try to enlarg

The queue for the last bus on Saturday night! A social occasion in itself - smoking, giggling, snogging, eating chips, crying, saving places for your mates, falling out, falling over, Oh yes! And

Loppy,Margie and Carnie.............lovely that you all have fond memories of Nottingham,but you know you all did the right thing,anyway its good to travel and spread your wings,............ive travel

Posted Images

#224 Merthyr Imp: great photo.  Capochi's snack bar is there.  I am sure that they also had a snack bar on Chapel Bar, just around the corner from the cinema.

I remember a very snowy winter day in 1968 when I set out from Coventry to Nottingham at lunch time on a Friday.  I caught a double decker bus from Coventry to Leicester.  It took hours as they had to push cars over Ansty bridge one at a time!  The bus made it OK.  We got to Leicester and eventually a Barton's bus arrived to take us to Nottingham.  By then it was dark.  I sat on the front seat and it was quite exciting as the brilliant driver took us on the route to Nottingham, down the country roads in the snow.  By the time we got to Huntingdon Street the last bus for Bilborough has long gone so I got a taxi.  The journey home took over 9 hours and I was so glad to get into Huntingdon Street.  The bus drivers were great that day.

No mobile phones in those days and no land line at home.  My parents expected me to be capable of looking out for myself and I did.  Dad always insisted that I had some money hidden in the bottom of my handbag, enough to get a taxi home from Nottingham!  

• Upvote 1

East Midland were based in Chesterfield and had just the one route into Nottingham - the 12A as shown, which ran to Chesterfield.

This is one of my oldest photos, probably dating to 1963, showing one of their then-new Albion (Leyland) Lowlanders on the 12A. It was around that time one of those operated on loan to NCT to act as a demonstration vehicle for the type, but of course none were purchased.

East20Midland20D16920at20Huntingdon20Str

49 minutes ago, BilboroughShirley said:

#224 Merthyr Imp: great photo.  Capochi's snack bar is there.  I am sure that they also had a snack bar on Chapel Bar, just around the corner from the cinema.

If you haven't seen it, there's a thread which includes a lot of mentions and photos of Capoccis. 

• Upvote 1

Actually, East Midland had another two routes into Nottingham - the 36 from Doncaster via Worksop and the 37 from Retford. Like the 12A they were all operated jointly with Trent, who confusingly used different route numbers. The Trent version of the 12A was a 63, the 36 was a 64, and the 37 was an 80. (Are you confused yet? You soon will be!)

1 hour ago, iandawson said:

Probably just the picture angle- but that East Midland bus in Cliffs photo looks long at the back.

Well, it was 30 feet long (a Leyland Titan PD3). It was perhaps a characteristic of all 30-foot front-engine double deckers. Compare with this view of one Barton's rebuilds:

Barton2090120in20Nottm201970s_zpscyke80x

I was on one years ago going to Stoke for a Forest match. It couldn't get up the hills, and a replacement was summoned .

I've a couple of Camm's photos somewhere on this Forum (don't ask me where), but this seems to be the only other one I ever took - a Ford R226 seen leaving the Victoria Bus Station in the early 1970s.  It must have been on hire to Lincolnshire or Trent - or I suppose National Express by then - for use on an express service. As I remember, it was unusual for any of them to hire a Camm's vehicle...

Camms206120at20Victoria20Bus20Station20N

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, notty ash said:

Ref #229, what's the Barton bus on the far right?

That's one of Barton's rebuilds which they produced in various configurations. Can't quite make out the number, but it could be 668, which would be a typical example of what they did - the chassis of that was originally a Leyland Titan PD1 double decker which Barton extended and fitted with single deck bodywork of their own manufacture in place of the original. It was then classified as a Barton BTS1.  It would have been on the Leicester service in  that photo.

The photo at #233 is of one of Barton's double deck rebuilds - a Barton BTD2. No. 901 seen there also originally had the chassis from a Leyland PD1 which was lengthened to 30 feet by Barton. New bodywork was by Northern Counties Motor & Engineering Co. (NCME) of Wigan.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...