Huntingdon Street bus station

When I look at that photo (the one with Queen Vic in place) I can see how the roads then were "through routes" ie they actually went somewhere direct, not took you round the houses (or islands) to connect to another road, an example being being try driving to trent bridge now from market square as opposed to the one I recall, of course I realise increased traffic would make such probably impossible but they ripped the heart out of the city in my opinion

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

192. I'm like you, Carni. I love it when someone posts a new - old picture. Its one of the things that makes NS great. I just stare at Cliff's aerial pictures and many others also. Try to enlarg

The queue for the last bus on Saturday night! A social occasion in itself - smoking, giggling, snogging, eating chips, crying, saving places for your mates, falling out, falling over, Oh yes! And

Loppy,Margie and Carnie.............lovely that you all have fond memories of Nottingham,but you know you all did the right thing,anyway its good to travel and spread your wings,............ive travel

Posted Images

The night picture of the Old Market Square reminds me of a tale my mum used to tell. In the bad winter of 1947 they were living in a new house up Mapperley. They were out of coal, and it was in short supply. (In fact they sometimes went in the evenings to a little copse over towards the brick yard and cut down tree branches for fuel, but that's another story). My grandma in Aspley had received a load of coal, and said they were welcome to have some if they could carry it home (on the bus!) Well, you don't look a gift-horse in the teeth, so they took a big old rucksack and filled it full of coal. Obviously it was heavy and unwieldy, but they got into town alright somehow. A 31 was loading in the OMS, so they shoved the rucksack under the stairs, and sat down towards the front. As the bus swung right up Market Street, unbeknown to mum and dad, centrifugal force shot the thing straight across the platform and out into the road, at which point the conductress rang 4 bells for an emergency stop and jumped off. Mum and dad sat there muttering "what's all this pantomime about?" Next, the conductress staggered back onto the bus demanding in a none-too-friendly voice "Oos is this 'ere rucksack then? - just about killed meself pickin' the ****** thing up!" They didn't fancy being chucked off and left to carry their burden up Woodborough Road, so they just sat tight and pretended it was nothing to do with them until they reached Westdale Lane terminus, where no worse fate than an ear-bashing could (and did) await them.

More Huntingdon Street, this time later in its life.

hunt.jpg

Used to catch the RoT bus at the top end of row 3 or 4 and straight upstairs to get the front seat. Remember those advertising signs on the walls behind the far #2 sign because one had something to do with Jesse Owen in the same advert for some time. My father told me one day when we were on the bus that it was Jesse Owen who upset Hitler at the Olympics before the War.

Always thought this bus station was magical at night when covered in snow. Had plenty of time to look out from the top deck whilst the drivers and connies enjoyed their cups of tea etc in their cafe across the road.

Hi Trevor S. The Wollaton services were D9 (Birchwood Road), E1 (Strelley Lane) and F5 (Wollaton Vale). These forked left along Wollaton Road - north side of Wollaton Park, then up through the village. The F5 then turned left at the Admiral Rodney, down Bramcote Lane, while the D9 and E1 carried on the rejoin the direct road (Russell Drive) at what was always known as Doctor's Corner. The B2 and C6 which went on to Ilkeston, Cotmanhay and Ripley, went straight along Russell Drive. The F9 (Kirk Hallam) did the same, but I seem to remember had a special rule that you couldn't get off before the Balloon Houses cross roads. They were all Midland General/Notts & Derby blue buses.

Thanks Stephen Ford.

It was the F5 then. Dropped off in Bramcote Lane and walked home to Mapledene Crescent. Still angry with my parents for ever leaving RoT!

talking of ear bashing bet it wasn't as bad as the one I got when I did that impression of that later band (believe it or not they were/are called SICK ON THE BUS,) lol, it was the works, a full projectile vomit, and being about 3pm sunday afternoon, all assumed I had had a skin full in the pub at dinner (which I hadn't, not a drop) Suspect some food poisoning or bug ? no end of moans and groans from staff and other passengers as we waited outside the Lark's Nest for a replacement bus! would have been a load more had I owned up to doing it again on the replacement! but we had gone upstairs this time and not surprisingly no one else there!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Confessions of a Bus Spotter

At the risk of boring people here's some reminiscences from me.

In my bus spotting days in the 1960s I spent literally many happy hours at Huntingdon Street on summer Saturdays. In those days, although use of private cars was increasing rapidly a great many people still went on their family holidays by coach, and to a bus enthusiast in Nottingham, Huntingdon St. on a Saturday during the school summer holidays was the place to be.

My friend and I would usually get there before 7am (I think 6.30 was the earliest I ever managed) in order to see the early departures to places like Great Yarmouth, and we'd still be there up to around 7pm to 8pm that night. Until about 9am the top part of the bus station was used solely for the various coach services, and all the local buses had to cram into the lower half.

In the early morning period there would also be the coach tour holiday departures by Trent and Barton, but they would leave from the other side of Huntingdon St from outside the companies' booking offices.

The busiest time for the coach services was until 9.30am, then there were further peak periods of activity around 11.30, 2.30pm and 4.30pm.

Some of the main destinations:

Trent ran to Clacton, Felixstowe, Barry Island, Blackpool, Cromer, Great Yarmouth, Cleethorpes, Sutton-on-Sea, Southend and Skegness.

Barton to Llandudno, Tenby, Morecambe, Southport, Pwllheli, Aberystwyth, Redcar, Blackpool and Skegness.

Skills to Scarborough, Bridlington and Filey

Lincolnshire Road Car to Mablethorpe and Skegness.

United Counties to Northampton and London.

There was also the long distance bus service to/from Manchester operated jointly by Trent and North Western which was extended to Skegness in the summer.

Then there were long distances services passing through::

Hall Bros (later taken over by Barton) from Tyneside to Coventry.

'Yorkshire Services' (West Yorkshire, Yorkshire Traction and East Yorkshire) from places such as Keighley, Leeds and Bradford to Northampton and Birmingham.

'Associated Motorways' (a combination of companies, but mainly Black & White) to Cheltenham, Paignton and Weymouth.

So that's 11 different companies to start with, plus these would often hire in coaches from other companies. Then there was the morning departure to Northampton which was invariably worked by a Royal Blue coach, and one of the early evening Cheltenham arrivals would usually produce a Southern National vehicle.

Other bus enthusiasts would be seen at various times through the day, but I think my friend and I were the only ones who put in a 12-hour+ shift! The 9.30am lull would mean a chance for something to eat at the cafe at the top of the bus station (was it called 'Hughie's'?), and there would usually be another visit or two there during the day - it was also the only chance to sit down, until some benches were installed on the Huntingdon St side of the shelters in later years (1969-ish).

After the last peak time had finished, at around 5pm we'd have a walk down to the NCT and Trent depots down Parliament St, as in the latter there was usually a Southdown coach to be seen, stabled overnight on a coach tour from the south coast. After that we began to see the coaches that had left in the morning for places such as Skegness arriving back again! But there were still two or three Black & White services arriving from the south west to see.

All the variety that made it worthwhile and interesting came to end with the formation of the National Bus Company and National Express, when more or less all the big company coaches began to be painted white. That was also when Huntingdon St closed, and the new Victoria Bus Station began to be used instead - never spent all day there, as the great days were over.

As well as the coach services, you could of course see bus services from all the following at Huntingdon St.: Barton, Trent, Midland General. Mansfield District, NCT, Skill's, South Notts, Gash and East Midland.

As I say, when all the variety went at the end of the 1960s so did all the interest for me.

• Upvote 2

Barton1021inNottm1960s_zps4179da06.jpg

This is Barton 1021 all set for Skegness, probably with the vehicle behind it also going there.

Barton1118Nottm1960s_zps3c79201e.jpg

No. 1118, a second-hand vehicle, parked on Huntingdon St itself. Behind the tree on the left can be seen part of the cafe ('Hughie's') mentioned.

Trent56inNottingham1960s_zps6473e463.jpg

Trent no. 56, with the Central Market in the background. To its right on the corner is the Trent booking office.

• Upvote 2

Glad you enjoyed your hobby in the sixties...personally...I was more interested in Crumpet...much of it wrestled to the rear seat of your buses.My memories are just as vivid as yours, but must admit never noticed the make of the bus at the time... :tongue:

• Upvote 1

Nice post (#34) and photos, Merthyr Imp. I must admit that I've never heard of anyone doing what you and your mate did regarding 'bus spotting'. It sounds as though you had a lot of fun, though. I was into trainspotting, sitting on the footbridge on Meadow Lane. The wasteland next to the train line (later to have a pub built on it) was where my friends and I would play. You started your post by stating 'At the risk of boring people here's some reminiscences from me'. I can assure you that Nottstalgians will never get bored with peoples memories. That's why we regularly come onto this site.

poohbear, I had a good laugh at your comment 'personally...I was more interested in Crumpet...much of it wrestled to the rear seat of your buses'.(#36). I could envisage it happening. When my wife asks me what I'm giggling at, it's usually the one-liners from yourself, mick2me, Paulus and others.

• Upvote 2

It's amazing to think what a busy place the Huntingdon Street area used to be, with the bus station, the central market, the proximity to Victoria Station, it was a hive of activity. Today it's virtually a dead area!

To anyone who has a good knowledge of bus services then, am I correct in thinking that the Trent services coming in from Mansfield and Sutton used to turn off right, down Glasshouse Street, so that they could drop people off at the back of Vic Station?

From 1963 onward Huntingdon Street was my launch pad to freedom.

Every Friday night along with some mates rucksack on back I would catch the F2 Nottm to Manchester via the Derbyshire Dales. For the first couple of years we got off at Matlock and spent the weekend climbing & caving. Later we went further on up into Buxton following our sport. Thats where I met my wife to be so both the bus service and the station have fond memories for me.

And yep were still married.

I think you will find this is the service that was extended in the summer months to run from Liverpool right through to Skeggie.

Colin

• Upvote 1

Glad you enjoyed your hobby in the sixties...personally...I was more interested in Crumpet...much of it wrestled to the rear seat of your buses.My memories are just as vivid as yours, but must admit never noticed the make of the bus at the time... :tongue:

And I don't imagine you're referring to pyclets either!

• Upvote 1

It's amazing to think what a busy place the Huntingdon Street area used to be, with the bus station, the central market, the proximity to Victoria Station, it was a hive of activity. Today it's virtually a dead area!

To anyone who has a good knowledge of bus services then, am I correct in thinking that the Trent services coming in from Mansfield and Sutton used to turn off right, down Glasshouse Street, so that they could drop people off at the back of Vic Station?

I'm pretty sure that all the services that came down Mansfield Road went down Huntingdon Street itself. I don't ever remember any bus service along Glasshouse Street.

The Manchester service was the X2. I may have a photo or two of my own somewhere about, but here's one taken at the Victoria bus station a year or two after the time I was describing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940361@N08/8240818869/

Regarding trainspotting, it was the end of steam that lost my interest in that, for a while at least, causing the change to buses instead.

I seemed to spend a lot of time in Hunto bus station as the Trent 60 to Ruddington was not a particularly frequent service. This left from stand 2, and if you were lucky, you could instead catch the Barton 54 to Clifton which left from stand 1 and went via Ruddington.

Mrs Commo, before she became such, lived at Sutton in A, and we spent many windswept hours waiting for the Trent 84 to get her back home in the evening.

Our first holiday together was a week in Newquay in 1966, and travelled there overnight on a Trent service from Huntingdon street to Exeter via Cheltenham, then change onto a local service from Exeter to Newquay; took about 12 hours in total, not an experience to be recommended!

The only time I can remember catching a bus to go any distance,was Bartons daily service to Skegness. Chilwell garage to Skeggy', took best part of 4 hours,stopping at a pub/cafe near Sleaford, for 20 mins'.

The cost of the ticket, period return was 19/3d.

Never caught a bus to go any distance after that one experience,

The Manchester service was the X2. I may have a photo or two of my own somewhere about, but here's one taken at the Victoria bus station a year or two after the time I was describing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940361@N08/8240818869/

Regarding trainspotting, it was the end of steam that lost my interest in that, for a while at least, causing the change to buses instead.

Quite correct it was the X2 must have had a brain fart.

Colin

The only time I can remember catching a bus to go any distance,was Bartons daily service to Skegness. Chilwell garage to Skeggy', took best part of 4 hours,stopping at a pub/cafe near Sleaford, for 20 mins'.

The cost of the ticket, period return was 19/3d.

Never caught a bus to go any distance after that one experience,

That sounds gruelling enough but I reckon I've one that was even worse. I went to Amsterdam to see Forest in the European Cup semi-final against Ajax - yes Amsterdam - on a bus that I can only describe an extremely basic one that you'd use to travel round the city, (no headrests etc.) I don't think I slept for two days. Never again, then again, I don't think Forest will be obliging any time soon. :)

• Upvote 1

I remember that Barton bus to Calvo, Den. Trent Barton still run a similar route (the Calverton Connection). Now goes through High Street, Arnold but used to run up Mansfield Rd and Redhill Rd through Redhill.

if we went to visit my sister who lived on crockdole lane calverton we used to come from netherfield to huntinton st over to the next platform to get calverton bus to the square in calverton then down crookdole lane to paulines house. if i remember there were two buses one that went up georges hill and one that came up to mansfield rd