just come across this website so am new

hya as you gathered im new to this,but am interested in all th nostalgia regarding Nottingham.I lived there till about 1966

then moved to where I am at the momnent.I did my couting round there especially the pubs and locarno.waent to john player

secondary moderan when I lived with my family in Broxtowe,does anyone remember Miss Parsons the cookery teacher there she

used to scare us.I was born in The Meadows off Waterway Street

Ayup me duck!! Medders n' broxter, theres a mix of territories, both catered for extensively here, have fun, most of us oldies do kickme

Welcome MB Gel, jackson and I weren't but a stones throw from you, down Deepdene Way. Let's hear all about your growing up etc.

welcome to the mad house mb\gel as allready been said great lot on this site and its always nice to have new members and here there stories and views ,

hi everybody ill tell you a bit about myself,1 went to london rd primary school off waterway street between 52/58 and lived in shaftesbury terrace i remember

the rag and bone man who lived on waterway street he was called Fat and his wife May he lived next door to my aunty.We move toliv broxtowe where I startwed

senior school at john player secondary modern,I remember a couple of teachers there a Mr Pratt and cookery was with Miss Parsons.i the late 5Iived on Lindfield rd in the late 50s and 60s i w as a sewing machinist. and used to hang around basford and radford with my mates and loved the locarno i

my dad used to frequent the cocked hat pub

Hi M/B Gel, so glad you got back to us. :) Reading through your mini history, your background reads so vital - only a few weeks ago I was posting on 'Nottstalgia' about the long gone tradition of the 'Rag and Bone Man'.

It could be that you are of the same age as Katyjay and myself. Katyjay and I both grew up on Amesbury Circus. Deepdene Way - that led up into the Broxtowe Estate - was just around the corner. We attended the William Crane School during the 50's; I can well remember how William Crane School and Player School were arch enemies. There's a wealth of information/history on Nottingham Schools on this site; Katyjay is more experienced than myself and I know she'd help you in how to go about retrieving information. (People are so helpful on 'Nottstalgia').

This site also houses many connections with the Meadows and Radford areas. I was familiar with the Radford area of the 60's, saved my money like crazy to have a place with a bathroom and garden.

I often visited the Locarno during the 60's; being a teenager it was my favourite place - a welcome break from work. Nothing compared to Tuesday nights down there, welcomed into the dance palace by the music of 'The Four Seasons', 'Walk Like a Man' blasting out and the huge, silver glass ball gloriously spinning in the centre of the ceiling. Golden Memories. :)

Looking forward to your next post. Christine

did you know the tatersall familyin broxtow not far from you bill and violet they used the cockedhat too i used to go in the bear garden when we used to go up to see them when i was a kid with my mum and dad they had a daughter who i think was called gillian who was a bit older than me so would be about your age i think there were six or sevenchildren altogethertwo of whoom were deaf philisthe eldest girl and kevin who was the youngest boy margeret tommy and at least 1 more girl who i carnt temember her name and i think there was anothet boy

:) 1950's - Cotton dresses and white sandals Blanco'd, Saturday/ Sunday afternoons, all ready for the 'Cocked Hat's Summer nights.

Hi Babs, there may have been an occasion/s when you and I played together as kids up at the 'Cocked Hat' during the Summer when the Rose Garden was open.

From my memories I can see many of us running along the little walls fronting the rose trees - playing chasing or hide and seek.

The Rose Garden was normally packed Saturday and Sunday, Summer evenings if the weather was good - don't want to appear arrogant but the weather back then always seemed so warm, sunny and bright, throughout the Summer months. :)