After yesterday's little shower, I went out today to see how high the river was; not as extreme as I'd expected, but here's a few examples of it.

And it might be a burst of nostalgia for anyone who hasn't seen the Trent Bridge/Embankment area for a few years

water3.jpg

water2.jpg

water1.jpg

water4.jpg

• Upvote 2

Nice pics Cliff Ton.

I was a few miles downstream at Gunthorpe and Hoveringham the day before but was slightly surprise at the level of the water, particularly nearby where the old Elm Tree at Hoveringham is. I have seen the Trent up on the road several times just there.

Just thinking back to the monsoon-like 'Summer' of 2007 and some of the tragedies and hardship that people endured. What a time that was. I recall most of the villages local to me having a 'river' running down their main streets as the various little becks and so on burst their banks.

I recall talking on the phone to a friend in Scotland who has visited here many times and mentioning that Lambley was flooded. His response - 'please tell me The Woodlark is ok Stu!'. I joked that it was fine but that its car park might now well be a harbour!

From that time:

Tales from the Ark

flood_june_2007_024_470x353.jpg

Main Street, Woodborough, Notts, July 2007

• 6 months later...

Cliff Ton, in your pics you show my everyday (weekdays '61 to '66) route I walked from 43 Trolleybus terminal adjacent the TBI, along enbankment & across the suspension (pedestrian/bikes only) bridge in to West Bridgeford, Thomas A Becket RC Grammar School.

Never seen the river higher than 3 steps showing along the embankment, is tah the 'spot the difference' to which you refer.

PS: Thanks for the nostalgia trip.............. :)

Loved the pictures of the River Trent. Attended Trent Bridge Juniors many years ago. Walked the Embankment many times.

Many years since I was in that neck of the woods,never remember seeing the Trent that high.

Thank's for the pic's Cliff Ton, brought back a lot of fond memories, walking along the embankment.

Radcliffe on Trent monday morning, has come up a good foot or more since then, the bottom road in pic 2 is now under water as is the football pitch and skate park the other pics show farmers field next to park under water, the water now lapping at edge here, and green, the angled woowork in wateris top of handrail to steps leading down to normal lever, water today covers that and part of that muddy area

Picture046.jpg

Picture061.jpg

Picture059.jpg

• Upvote 1

Flooding seems to be on the increase generally over the past few years in the UK. The flooding towards the end of last week came after a very wet day or two admittedly but I didn't feel that in the past it was the level of rainfall that would have caused such widespread floods. It's interesting that whilst there's plenty of coverage in the media about cases of flooding there's not that much comment as to the possible reasons for it.

I'm glad I live part way up a hill.

Floods could be as bad as 2000 in Nottingham as River Trent keeps rising

2 things that don't help are the ducting of water through Nottingham from Sawley to be dumped elsewhere, it has to go somewhere! and the must have block paving, slabbing and concreting that stops the natural soaking away of rain, individually no problem but there must be god knows how many acres diverting water into street drains then rivers that would have soaked away,,on some hills there's torrents running to low points and drains that can't cope

Thought id share another of stoke, infront of the ferry boat pub and restaurant.

402983_392009927541174_10337361_n.jpg

Apparently more rain to come! fun times..

Ash, are you talking about the flood defenses that run from Sawley all the way past Attenboro' the embankment etc?

Where do they actually stop?

With all this water coming your way, the might put your water rates up?

Today's photos taken at 1pm

Picture067.jpg

The brambles etc are the park level, under the water (about 10 ft down) is a farmer's field

Picture071.jpg

Believe it or not work was taking place last week with Rushcliffe CC agreement to put 4 new homes here between the under the water road and the trees

Picture069.jpg

Jeez ash, looks pretty bad there. But what a pretty swan.. he seems to be eying up that hot water bottle, maybe hes abit chilly!