Re the flood defences, they stop at that railway bridge in the distance! just to the right of the pylon, that bridge is the normal size of the trent! also seen are cowlick woods the tower block near the windmill and above the smallest light coloured bush the top of eastcroft chimneyPicture068.jpg

Floods could be as bad as 2000 in Nottingham as River Trent keeps rising

The floods in Kegworth on the Soar are nothing unusual...In the fifties our bungalow by the river was built on six foot concrete stilts.The floods came nearly every year.New banks have been built but they won't hold it back in bad years.On the Station Road from Kegworth bridge to the station there was a catwalk which we used above the flood level...it's gone now...and I don't think it wise to remove it.

It was an adventure to us kids...especially when the floods froze,and I bet the fields were renewed with nutrients afterwards.

Hope you get through all that, Ashley. Good luck

Apparently the roads in Gunthorpe have now been closed by the police.

Incidentally, a pretty good way I find to know what's going off on the roads generally is Twitter (I know, I know!) The likes of Trent Barton do a fantastic job of keeping people updated on the latest problem on Notts roads

Floods could be as bad as 2000 in Nottingham as River Trent keeps rising

The floods in Kegworth on the Soar are nothing unusual...In the fifties our bungalow by the river was built on six foot concrete stilts.The floods came nearly every year.New banks have been built but they won't hold it back in bad years.On the Station Road from Kegworth bridge to the station there was a catwalk which we used above the flood level...it's gone now...and I don't think it wise to remove it.

It was an adventure to us kids...especially when the floods froze,and I bet the fields were renewed with nutrients afterwards.

Yes, I remember the catwalk. I don't think it's all that long ago since it was finally dismantled, but it had been in a pretty ropey condition for many years. Also, I seem to remember it only had a handrail on one side, just a four foot drop on the other - so our much loved friends in the Health and Safety brigade wouldn't approve! There is, of course, another factor about its demise - latterly it went from Kegworth to....errm...the bridge over where the station used to be - which might not have been much use to most people ! In fact, I wonder if the railway used to contribute to its upkeep at one time?

I used that catwalk for ten years...and do you know...I never fell off once. :rolleyes:

PS...half single train fare from Nottm.Midland to Keg'orth in the early fifties was ten pence halfpenny...return was 10d...go figure??

Ashley,

I remember the Trent flooding a couple of times back in the 50s and water halfway up the road between the river and the railway bridge, the fields below the cliffs between RoT and Stoke Bardolph under water with no weir to be seen and, the football ground below the rec area at the top of Wharf Lane deep in water. And that was before any flood management devices were considered.

Think you have hit the nail on the head re your post about the lack of ground to absorb rainfall due to man made cover such as roads, buildings, paved areas etc. By the way, what are they building on the muddy area between the road and the river, more sites?

Ask some of the old timers in the Manvers for their memories.

Best of luck mate and stay safe.

PS...half single train fare from Nottm.Midland to Keg'orth in the early fifties was ten pence halfpenny...return was 10d...go figure??

Yes there were a lot of anomalies like that (and still are if you know where to look for them). I had a friend who worked as a booking clerk at the old Long Eaton station (not Sawley Junction). People would come in and ask for a single to Ilkeston. He would say, "Have a day return - it's cheaper." They would reply, "But I don't want a return - I'm coming back on the bus." "No, I know - but a return costs LESS than a single - throw the return half away if you like." "Oh I couldn't do that. I don't want to get into trouble..."

So he stopped arguing and tried another tack. "Single to Langley Mill please." So he slaps a day return down "Two and fourpence please." Man walks away without looking at ticket - returns a couple of weeks later and says, "You fiddled me the other week. I asked for a single and you sold me a return. Today I want a single - do you hear - a S I N G L E?" "OK - sorry about that. Here's your single - that'll be two and eightpence." "WHAAAAATTTT?"

I have another pic to post but as I'm on my phone at the momentill share it with you tomorrow. colwick park is prettu bad, that little foot path/bridge next to the bridge you drive over from mile end road entrance, well the river has risen so high its now virtually covering the bridge! and for all those who know, usually that's quite a drop from the bridge to the water, risen quite a few feet eh!

I took some photos at about 3.00pm yesterday, the water had risen a bit from the morning as, the water had just about reached the bench, but in the afternoon it was passed it.

DSCF0367.jpg

The markings on the wall show how far it has to get to the 2000 flood level.

DSCF0370.jpg

DSCF0375.jpg

DSCF0374.jpg

DSCF0372.jpg

DSCF0366.jpg

DSCF0371.jpg