What I remember about my ex's

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started regularly meeting a girl in the 49 coffee bar. Her mother met us in there one afternoon and invited me to their house just off Arkwright st. When we were nearly there the conversation turned

Many acquaintances but only two serious girlfriends, the ex, was a tall willowy blonde but after three years I realised we weren't going anywhere and anyway she didn't like climbing.   The n

One night, whilst out with the ex and her mother, the ex said "would you like to see me in something long and flowing?" I replied, "yes the Trent". The mil then spoke up saying " that's horrible, if y

Many acquaintances but only two serious girlfriends, the ex, was a tall willowy blonde but after three years I realised we weren't going anywhere and anyway she didn't like climbing.

The next one I eventually married and she was a real keeper unusually for a human beautiful outside and lovely inside.

• Like 7

Re.  MILs.  My mother in law was a fine woman.  I don't mean she was perfect, but she was fair and had a good sense of humor, although it did take a minute or two for the penny to drop sometimes.  ;). In many ways her daughter was the 'new improved version,'. To me anyway.

Simple answer to your question, Jill.  "Has the world gone totally crackers?"  YES!

Sent from my new address on the moon.  :biggrin:

• Like 3

I started regularly meeting a girl in the 49 coffee bar. Her mother met us in there one afternoon and invited me to their house just off Arkwright st. When we were nearly there the conversation turned to a day when the mother had argued with the father and stabbed him with a pair scissors. 

The girl was a nice lass really, affable, cheeky, confident but given to biting when in a clinch. Biting and stabbing not being my fetish I moved on.

Another regular date invited me to her house when her mother was out at bingo, her father came home late from work spitting nails, but not at me: he worked at a pit and someone had managed to drop 400 yards of heavy cable down a shaft and they'd spent all day recovering it. During the evening the girl showed me a box containing a jewellery case. She said it was from her boyfriend who was in the forces stationed in Hong Kong. Later as she stood in front of the mirror brushing her hair I noticed a definite bulge on her abdomen, just below the skirt belt and it definitely was nothing to do with me! Bye.

Another was (dare I speak the name) an ex Manning girl. We regularly went to the cinemas and I once went on holiday with her and her parents. She wasn't all that academically brill but I was a stop gap, she was ambitious, she was going to be a high flier and going places. And she soon did when I was discarded for someone older, brighter with a posh accent and much richer.

It was then I called a moratorium on dating girls and fell in love with motorbikes and cars.

A few years later, out of the blue when I wasn't looking, this beautiful, intelligent and practical young woman  just dropped into my life. That was nearly 50 years ago and we're still together. I think this one's a keeper. She's from Aspleh.

I feel fortunate and blessed in this aspect of life.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Sounds like you are lucky to be alive to tell the tale W.W.  Glad you survived.

Re. former post and penny dropping slowly with MIL.   GF and I were fortunate in being able to use the car when we wanted to.  We often used to take a drive in the evening usually by the river at Stoke Bardolph.  We would get back around ten and MIL would always make tea.  Then she would ask.  Where did you drive to?  Answer, Araahnd Stoke....  What did you do?...  Sit and look at the river....  Oh nice!!!   I've often wondered if she ever pursued the idea of two hours sitting looking at the river at Stoke.  smile2

• Like 3

Never had any serious boyfriends moved around in a group as most students did,  couldn't find anyone I wanted to take home.  Then I went to Nottingham uni to finish my degree went to goose fair and was  stopped by a very good looking guy who said, just leave your mates and come for a drink. The answer was a no but not very convincing, we all ended up together and went to the pub been together ever since.  Long way to go for a husband but worth it.

• Like 4

Met my present SWMBO on a blind date 32 years ago, I didn't want to go but was cajoled & bullied into going by a mutual female friend.  We went to Ilkeston bowling alley where she beat me hands down. As I dropped her off outside her house I said "do I get a kiss goodnight then?" & that was that, as they say, been with her ever since, she can shout though, lol..

• Like 1

Stoke Bardolph!  Such memories.  Just up the road a bit from where the sewer outfall went in.  You could sit and watch the foam drift by .  :biggrin:. Sounds like a favorite place for future Nottstalgians.

Edited to add.   If I'd known you were there Ben I'da come and banged on the winda :biggrin: and shone me flashlight in. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Most of my ex girlfriends worked in shops, namely Marsdens,Farrands,Thrifty,Vernons,Savemore,Pork farms,Van allan,Dolcis,Lyons tea shop,VG stores,Melias,Maypole,Shentnalls,Coop,Gem,Elmo,Fine fare,Alders,Saxone,Chambers,What everyone wants,lords,

Can't remember where the others worked, lol,Griffin and Spalding,Debenhams,Mace,Vivo,Spar,Dewhursts,Baxters,

Ben, i worked in Griffin and Spalding 1972/3 did our paths cross, i wonder.

• Like 1

I'm surprised the local Plod didn't come and move us along, NBL.  Veritable parking lot down there at night it was.  You had to get there early or you wouldn't get a space.  They weren't in the Ferry Boat inn either.  :Shock:

• Like 1

This thread is making me smile. All you chaps looking back 50+ years and remembering the search for a quiet farm gateway and steaming up the windows in your cars.  Expect if you drove along that lane tonight there wouldn’t be a space to park up, nothing’s changed !!

• Like 2

I was all for getting there early and staying late as well. Back then if you remember the local plod i.e. one only lived in a police house in Burton Joyce and his only transport was a cycle and he had to go over the hill to cover Lambley so he had enough on his plate.

Lizzie are you sure its not your memories making yousmile2

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

A thought did cross my mind Lizzie, there is one thing that's changed, the copper on the bike has gone that area would now be patrolled by police cars and if I remember correctly there was very little space to get of the road unless you went cross country toward Stoke lock.