Got myself some cactus today from BNQ, 3 for £3.75 ... I used to have a cactus untill my cat nocked it off my unit & the plant broke... i also had a easter cactus, untill my cat eat it & the same with an alo vera... (cheers cats!) So i treated myself to a few more. Anyone know owt about cactus? if these flower.. get bigger or what type they are? i think their due to be repotted soon, so gonna get on that in a few days, planning to have one in my dinning room & two in my bathroom, its a suntrap in there & thought it may be the ideal spot for them..

tumblr_m3atu3CWRE1qgo2e2o1_1280.jpg

There's a Prickly Pear growing wild around here, I keep running over it with the rough mower forgetting about it. Missus keeps saying dig it up and burn it, as in some places it can take over fields.

I don't think our climate is right to allow that, I keep meaning to take a section off of it and put it in a pot of sandy soil.

Most cactus are edible once past the spines.....LOL

... Ever tried to eat a cactus? read on the net that their much like a cucumber. I guess anything is ebibal, even poisenous things surely can have the poisen cooked out

• 2 weeks later...

Both the pads and the fruit of the prickly pear cactus are edible. The pads, called nopales or nopalitos, can be found canned in hispanic markets and in well-stocked grocery stores, or fresh at a good farmer's market. They're crunchy and slightly sticky (similar to okra), and taste fresh and green - like green beans, asparagus, and green pepper. They're great on pizza. More here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Prepare-Prickly-Pear/