Christmas Traditions

@ Mary 1947.....None of the pubs around me opened Christmas Day, not even for an hour, during my late teens I worked part time as a barman at the Sir Richard Arkwright, and as a kid, my Dad would have been down at his local at lunchtime had they been open. I think what you mean is pub licensing allowed the Land Lord to do as he pleased within the normal opening hours. I can recall taking long walks after dinner, and Nottingham was a ghost town back in the 50's and early 60's on Christmas Day.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Caz and Ann Tutanic

The above pics are part of our Christmas decorations this year. I went into the bar there for a coffee this morning and thought I’d bumped into one of them , I apologized to them then realised what th

Me grandma loved loose sherry,, it came out of a barrel at the Offey about 5/- per bottle,, but when flushed she loved Emva cream 10/6,, late fifties,, Emva was from. Cyprus,,the british version

Posted Images

I'm pretty sure the pubs on Clifton opened for a few hours around 12-3 on Christmas Day.

My grandparents always came to our house on 25th, and it was a ritual that my grandad would go down to the Winning Post pub for a drink before we had our dinner.

Like I stated, I think it was left to the Land Lord.

When I were a kid, my parents gave me an empty shoe box and my dad swore blind that it was an "Action Man Deserter Kit".

• Like 1

My uncle was the landlord of The Horse and Groom at Linby for many years and he always opened on Christmas Day lunchtime.  Mum would get the turkey in the oven and we’d all go over to see him for an hour or so.  
Our local micropub, Doctors Orders, opens 12 til 3 on Christmas Day, we’ve popped in if we’re local but it gets pretty rammed with regulars, non-regulars, dogs and kids.  I prefer a quiet family Christmas Day myself.  

Lizzie  what year was your uncle landlord of The Horse And Groom at Linby?

@mary1947I’m guessing a bit but I reckon he was in Linby from mid 1950s til 1982, when he retired at 60.  The pub was in our family for around 100 years as Uncle Charlie took it over from my Great Uncle George Jennison, whose father kept the pub before him.  

Lizzie Been in the Horse and Groom many, many times it is an excellent pub, the bar is like going back a bit in time, but not in an old fashion way. The thing is that the Horse and Groom is a real pub, it used to have a nice restaurant  around the back and a quite pleasant garden, with things to do for children. It has never lost it's character.  If any members like to hear carols at Christmas Time then Linby Village around 13th/14th of December the church members sing caroles around the tree, then into the Horse and Groom for a drilnk afterwards. Well worth a visit. 

ps must have met some member of you  family as we would go into the Horse

and Groom  in the late 70s/80s/

Before Uncle Charlie left the pub they bought a house on Moor Lane and drank in the Griffin, as far as I know he never set foot in the Horse and Groom again.  Yes @Oztalgianit was a Home Ales pub. 
@mary1947 in Charlie and Rene’s day they never did meals, only Ham /Cheese and Onion cobs.  He improved the pub, out of necessity, by building a conservatory out the back to enclose what were previously outside loos.  There was a barn at the rear of the property which they converted into a ‘function room’ and no doubt that was where meals were served when a new landlord took over.  

Before he took over the Linby pub he had The Duke of Wellington’ in Shirland.  I stayed over there a few times with them. Whilst in Shirland he came over to Linby to do the barrels and cellar work for George Jennison, who was definitely past it and not capable, and that’s how he ended up in Linby.  He ran a very good establishment.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Griffins Head Pappelwick if you have a young famliy then             Nov 5th this year  they will have a large bonfireand  and fire-works  but I think you have to pay. 

I can’t claim membership of the MG owners club even though I had a 1947 MG TC back in 1964. Over the past 60 years I’ve been a member of:

The Morgan Sportscar Club

The Mercedes Owners Club

The Porsche Owners Club

The Lotus Owners Club.

I only drive boring cars now!

Going back to our younger days we had a MG 2 seater sports car when it was built I am sure thet forgot to put any suspension in. It was a real bone shaker.

I could put up with no suspension but then I was told what the letters MG stood for!!!!!!!!!

MORRIS GARAGE's  sorry but it's true.

On 10/2/2022 at 11:04 AM, Ayupmeducks said:

Like I stated, I think it was left to the Land Lord.

I sure if you were a tennent then the brewery told you when to open if you owned the pub you pleased yor self. As one member stated earlier most pubs would open Christmas day dinner 

12-2 00pm but would not open Christmas day night,  

When you think of all the large brewers that used to be around where have they all gone?

Home Ales  

Kimberly   now houseing

Mansfied  marksman larger better than home ales larger/

Michtlei & Butler 

Shipstones who had beautiful dray horses

Tennents

Hardy Hanson 

Going back to Nottm pubs at one time we had over 50 pubs.

Unfortunately, those local breweries got bought by bigger brewers, such as Scottish & Newcastle and Greenalls, who closed down local production. In turn, they got bought by even bigger companies like Heineken and Interbrew, which was then acquired by Anheuser-Busch.

If you want local beers, there are now plenty of micro breweries, like Blue Monkey, Castle Rock, Navigation, and Magpie amongst others. And one has even brought Shippos back.

I think craft beer should be brewed in an old barn using spring water and wooden vats. Blue Monkey is brewed in an industrial building in Giltbrook behind IKEA using tap water. It just takes the charm away when you know it’s made in a chemical factory in stainless steel apparatus. The last ‘proper’ brewery I went round was Batemans at Wainfleet but that’s probably a chemical factory now. The owner of Blue Monkey is an old friend and he knows my feelings on the subject! Is there a decent traditional bitter to be had in Notts anymore?

14 hours ago, mary1947 said:

When you think of all the large brewers that used to be around

My favourite tipples were I know they are not very discerning but I was only young

Home Brewery - 5 Star

Kimberly/Hardy Hansons - The odd pint of mild but only in certain pubs

Mansfield - Their bitter was usually good

Mitchell and Butlers - Brew XI

Shipstones - Never liked Shippo's beers and did my best to avoid them

Tennents - Not to my taste

Holes Newark Ales - A nice Bitter

Warwicks Newark - Bitter

Stones Sheffield - Bitter

Ind Coop - Double Diamond

Courage - Light and Bitter

Ansells - Bitter

Whitbread - Tankard

Bass Worthington - Worthington E or White Shield IPA when you could get it

• Like 1
9 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I think craft beer should be brewed in an old barn using spring water and wooden vats. 

Just been looking at some of the "craft" beers from the UK that are imported into Australia. For goodness sake Rhubarb Sour Ale, Pink Grapefruit IPA, Elderflower, Raspberry Tart Sour Ale, Passion Fruit IPA, Lemon Cheeskake Sour Ale. I could go on. Does anyone make beer that smells and tastes like beer anymore. Any suggestions for a traditional beer that may be exported.

"Threakstons 'Old Peculiar', when working in Kent coal fields, and good old Harvey's brewery when at home in Sussex (near Lewes).

Oz, itsjust the same with crisps. All those different flavours. Can you still get potato flavoured crisps?