Christmas Traditions

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Caz and Ann Tutanic

The above pics are part of our Christmas decorations this year. I went into the bar there for a coffee this morning and thought I’d bumped into one of them , I apologized to them then realised what th

Me grandma loved loose sherry,, it came out of a barrel at the Offey about 5/- per bottle,, but when flushed she loved Emva cream 10/6,, late fifties,, Emva was from. Cyprus,,the british version

Posted Images

Me grandma loved loose sherry,, it came out of a barrel at the Offey about 5/- per bottle,, but when flushed she loved Emva cream 10/6,, late fifties,,

Emva was from. Cyprus,,the british version was Vp,,,also about 10 bob,,

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I don’t think there was any specification for the size of a sherry schooner in those days. It wasn’t a enormous glass, probably less than two standard glasses. Not enough to get silly on!

Oh contrary mon amy! I tired a schooner of Australian sherry in Yates's many moons ago, I don't remember much past the halfway mark and had a headache that lasted three days!

• Like 1

Well of course that was Yates’s and you never knew what their brews consisted of! I’ve searched around and unlike Australia, where a schooner is a specific measurement, I’m unable to find a definitive ‘weights and measures’ definition of a British schooner. I only ever went in Yates’s once; there had just been a fight and the whole place had the aura of a Wild West saloon! 

The off licence at the bottom of our road sold loose sherry. As a child, I was always looking through the window, trying to spot the sherry wandering about 'loose' and asking how it was possible to have loose sherry!  I suppose it was hearing people talking about dogs being loose and wandering about. Still makes me smile when I hear the expression.

Croft Original, another Christmas memory, $40 a bottle here.

I remember Harvey's Bristol Cream and Bristol Milk sherries from Christmases past, apart from funerals it was the only time sherry was drunk in our family

Phil, maybe it's time for your claim to fame. Invent a new sherry based drink ! The young uns love weird concoctions. I'll start you off if you like, sherry and red bull. Don't know what you would call it though.

7 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

In the 70s, I remember a chain of pubs/restaurants named Schooner Inns. A bit of Googling reveals they seem to have been operated by Watneys, but are now long-vanished.

Wasn’t there a Schooner Inn in a railway station over Widmerpool way?  I remember going there for a meal with a boyfriend, so it would have been early 70s.  Maybe it’s still there ...... 

6 hours ago, philmayfield said:

How about ‘Bullshit’? :biggrin:

There you go, your on your way to fame. What's next?

15 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Me grandma loved loose sherry,, it came out of a barrel at the Offey about 5/- per bottle,, but when flushed she loved Emva cream 10/6,, late fifties,,

Emva was from. Cyprus,,the british version was Vp,,,also about 10 bob,,

Mum and auntie insist on seeing the new year in with a glass of sherry has to be Bristol Cream, they have a small glass each then it's put away. I buy a new bottle every year. After a number of years it has occurred to me that maybe it lasts more than a year!! 

Ben maybe you can answer that one, not that I am implying you are a secret sherry drinker.

Once you open a bottle of wine, you expose it to air, then it starts oxidizing. Another thing also starts happening, as you take more wine out of the bottle, the alcohol will evaporate into that space, so the wine will get weaker in alcohol content over time and with each opening of the bottle.

Ordinary wine, it's best consumed within a few days of opening, Sherries and ports no more than a few weeks.

Vintners who use the casks, give about a month after starting the cask.

I've tried whisky from an "opened"  bottle that had been left over year and it was only good for pouring down the drain.

• Like 1