Christmas Traditions

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Caz and Ann Tutanic

The above pics are part of our Christmas decorations this year. I went into the bar there for a coffee this morning and thought I’d bumped into one of them , I apologized to them then realised what th

Me grandma loved loose sherry,, it came out of a barrel at the Offey about 5/- per bottle,, but when flushed she loved Emva cream 10/6,, late fifties,, Emva was from. Cyprus,,the british version

Posted Images

Was that a dig at me miss?

Another one I remember from working at Tilmanstone colliery was, 'Shepherd Neame' ales.

@ Phil, and it lives up to it's name, first and last tried that brew around 1974 when I loved to North Yorkshire..

Must admit he best Larger I have every had was when we went over to Germany long time ago now but i think it was offmaster (not sure how its spelt in German) but its the one with the bear on. When in the brewery I brought 2 drinking glasses to bring home. All the way from Germany driving though the night so we could get the night ferry arriving back  to Nottm safe and sound with my beautifull glasses, stepped out of the car, glasses were on my knee, on there not !!! there they were, in piece's on the floor.

• Upvote 1

Thanks big ears

The Hofmeister that used to be sold in the UK wasn’t a proper lager. It was made by Scottish & Newcastle and was barely alcoholic (3.2%).

Since 2016, it’s been brewed in Germany according to the Reinheitsgebot purity law, and is a reasonable 5%.

6 hours ago, Rob.L said:

Since 2016, it’s been brewed in Germany according to the Reinheitsgebot purity law, and is a reasonable 5%.

Is the purity law the reason that German beers are so good? Many of the so-called "imported" beers you can buy here are actually made here under licence and the breweries con everyone by advertising the name and charge inflated prices for them in ever decreasing pack sizes. 

One of the best selling beers here in OZ is Corona, a Mexican import apart from water, barley, malt and hops it also contains ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) as an antioxidant and propylene glycol alginate as a stabiliser. A commonly used food additive with E number E405

On 10/10/2022 at 2:35 PM, mary1947 said:

Must admit he best Larger I have every had was when we went over to Germany long time ago now but i think it was offmaster (not sure how its spelt in German) but its the one with the bear on. When in the brewery I brought 2 drinking glasses to bring home. All the way from Germany driving though the night so we could get the night ferry arriving back  to Nottm safe and sound with my beautifull glasses, stepped out of the car, glasses were on my knee, on there not !!! there they were, in piece's on the floor.

A bit how it happened to me years ago. We packed up in boxes and were very careful to protect all our crystal and glassware wedding presents . We sent them to Italy and hoped everything arrived safely. It did; not one glass or piece was broken or even cracked. After a year here we decided to return to Nottingham so everything packed up again. Even then nothing broken . But putting them all into a display unit I broke so many and was so upset. Returning once again to Italy nothing else was broken and even returning to Nottingham and again in Italy. Even now I don’t have any more broken glasses. Was it a warning

• 1 month later...

Just been reading this article from last August in The Gridiron it is about the 10 best craft beer pubs in Nottingham

10 of the best pubs and bars in Nottingham | Bars, pubs and clubs | The Guardian.

When they talk about "elderflower tinged Pale Ale", "fruity pastry sours" and "spontaneously fermented sour beers" WTF are they on about.

What in heavens name is a "blueberry and lemon sour radler" when it is at home. There is even a 12% chilli stout from a local brewery. I wonder if that has the same effect as a Shippos

Has anyone on here tasted these strange concoctions?. If so, what did you think?

During the first lockdown, I ordered a mixed case of beers from a local brewery. Included was a “Cherry Stout”, which they describe as “Natural dark cherry fruit flavour added to our rich smokey stout, packed full of roasted malt flavour with added sweet fruity dark cherry creamy flavour.

I tried it once and it was horrible. Not what I want beer/stout to taste like.

I’m guilty I’m a craft beer convert, my favourites being anything grapefruit & mango & love the vegan cloudy unfiltered brews, over the last 3 weekends I have drank in 9 of the 10 pubs mentioned in the Guardian article, I don’t use the Malt Cross, it’s not the pub, it’s the other pubs on St.James Street that attract the dregs of Nottingham, the new bar Bustler on Sneinton Market should be on that list excellent mouthwatering  selections.

Fg5iPnpWIAQwloh?format=jpg&name=large

We have a priory near us and the monks make beer, it’s like a stout and excellent so my hubbie says

5 hours ago, philmayfield said:

You’ll be referring to Tynt Meadow from Mt. St. Bernard’s I presume. That’s a 7% strong ale. You can get well trap-pissed on that! :biggrin:

Yeah, he doesn’t have it very often and then probably only a couple. Very quick on your comment Jill.

I can remember someone who always used to drink a pint of bitter and mild.