Christmas Traditions

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Caz and Ann Tutanic

The above pics are part of our Christmas decorations this year. I went into the bar there for a coffee this morning and thought I’d bumped into one of them , I apologized to them then realised what th

Me grandma loved loose sherry,, it came out of a barrel at the Offey about 5/- per bottle,, but when flushed she loved Emva cream 10/6,, late fifties,, Emva was from. Cyprus,,the british version

Posted Images

If you ever went in a pub at Christmas time and you were a lady/women mr dad would always want to buy you a short but the favorit of his was (would you like a drink of custard} he allways want to buy this drink if you did not want a short.

CUSTARD  ????? WHY!!!!   it was  ADVOCATE   it was always served in little candel shaped glass. 

• Like 1

After the last 2 years with the bug ,  I would really like an old fashioned Christmas. I  would like all the famlly to sit down to dinner to=gether. so lets have my grandma n grandad, my mum and dad. me and master then borthers sisters wifes children, grand children, 

you can dream but you can't turn the clock back.

• Upvote 1

We’re part of the way there, Mary, as there will be most of our family (probably 14 of us) gathering at my eldest son’s house on the Tuesday Bank Holiday.  Looking forward to it and I’m not cooking!  I organise a few games, though - that’s always my job…

• Like 1
10 hours ago, MRS B said:

Might have been a certain person from Forest Fields

I lived in Forest Fields MrsB., when I got married back in 1965. Now I've been married 57 years, I really must go and fetch her out of that flat !  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

My paternal grandmother, Kate, was partial to Mackeson's. She also liked port. The problem was that she had no capacity whatsoever for alcohol. Ironic, really, since her father who was a very talented lace designer and maker, seemed to have an unlimited capacity for the stuff.

After one small drink, Kate's nose would turn bright red and my father was prompted to start singing Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer . Kate only imbibed at Christmas, so the song was seasonal but irritated her so much that dad was still on the receiving end of a thick ear into his forties!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, MelissaJKelly said:

I love a Snowball - can't wait for all the festive drinks!

Melissa you will have to wait for it snowing before you can make your snowball?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Alpha said:

Mild, bitter or mixed, perhaps a thickly Guiness. Going further back how about a Mackeson Stout, or going up market with an IPA, real cool dude!

Yes Alpha. In the pubs of my youth it was a Black Velvet, a stout and cider, not the Stout and Champagne and certainly none of that pouring over a spoon like an Irish coffee, just straight out of the pumps into the glass.

The pouring over the spoon for Irish Coffees used to be a favourite of the good old Berni Inns

• Like 1

Yes Oz,

the last pint I had from the barrel, not pumped, was at the Crown in Old Dalby about 1960.

We sat in the sitting room mas you would find in a cottage, and I recall the barrels were along the wall.

The beer, however, was not to my taste and somewhat flat and watery.

22 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

I remember Advercaat think it was a Dutch liqueur the wife says it warms the cockles of your heart.

I can hear the jingle on the telly now,  Warninck's Advocaat!

• Like 1

This my husband and I decided to have Christmas lunch at my daughters. It’s snowballed a bit and now there’s 26 of us with “ put us down too and we’ll confirm” . We seem to have lost the Christmas lunches with the Italian family. Most of the close family live in apartments so limited for space. It was either us or my youngest sister in law but when she lost her husband it stopped and we’ve nearly all gone our own ways so now really looking forward to it.

The above pics are part of our Christmas decorations this year. I went into the bar there for a coffee this morning and thought I’d bumped into one of them , I apologized to them then realised what they were (I knew there were there but thought it was someone standing behind me) Beside representing Christmas they are representing some of the cultures in this area. I feel sure my niece has done them, give her a bit of sacking , straw and string and she comes up with something unique.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1