Christmas Traditions

What Christmas tradition do you still carry on today from your childhood?

When my kids were little we always let them open their stocking ,which contained apple,chocolate coins,nick nacks etc,but they werent allowed to open the presents in their pillowcases until everyone was downstairs so we could all do it together, that was something we always did as children at home in The Meadows,& we always left out sherry & mince pies for Santa & his reindeers,even up until I left Nottingham for Oz in the 80's!

post-25-1133609056_thumb.png

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Caz and Ann Tutanic

The above pics are part of our Christmas decorations this year. I went into the bar there for a coffee this morning and thought I’d bumped into one of them , I apologized to them then realised what th

Me grandma loved loose sherry,, it came out of a barrel at the Offey about 5/- per bottle,, but when flushed she loved Emva cream 10/6,, late fifties,, Emva was from. Cyprus,,the british version

Posted Images

Pork Pie for breakfast! If I don't have pork pie for breakfast then it aint Christmas.

I haven't the foggiest idea why but we always had this at home.

This year for the first time ever, we are going to one of my sons for dinner, this is a novelty as they all come here.

When the kids were little, having four was great. I used to torment them on Christmas morning and set rules for them before they could even go anywhere near pressies. If they didn't have breakfast before selection boxes were in evidence it would be a Cadbury breakfast and dinner ruined so I became the wicked witch of the North, not to mention South, East and West.

Looking forward to it with relish, my wedding aniversary is on Christmas Eve so I enjoy it twofold.

A hellothere

Ann you aren't on your own,my mum always used to have Pork pie between 2 slices of white sliced bread on Christmas morning........yuk!! but she loved it,& as a small child I also remember she used to do the same with sage & Onion stuffing......double yuk!!

Cannot fault her, you haven't lived until you have been to the car boot sale on the 52 heading towards Skeggness and tried one of the hot pork cobs with apple sauce and stuffing. I love meat but I have to tell the woman in the clubhouse to stop piling it up, for £1.50 it is the best value for money ever!! Unless of course you are a veggie or a pig...

A ;)

One of the best things I have ever eaten is the sausage & mushroom rolls from the Cattle market on a saturday morning,we always go there for a bit of nostalgia when we are visiting the UK & they take some beating.Can't remember how much they cost but I don't care they are worth every penny

hungry

I know what you mean, if you enjoy something then you don't care how much it costs.

Have you ever been to Bobbers Mill Cafe? It is at the back of Bobbers Mill near the Nag's Head pub. It is a transport type cafe but they sell something called 'saus with'. As the name suggests it is a sausage thing with added ingredients, the sandwiches are made with Browns bread and that full of this stuff it is unbelievable. One half of the sandwich and you cannot move. A wonderful peppery after taste and the fresh crusty bread....

A !yowza! hungry

Yeah that place is an icon Ann. When my son was a young apprentice electrician, he & has boss couldn't start the day without a fry up from there

• 9 years later...

There's is a Christmas tradition observed by many people in Britain and America, and one that was observed by me last night in Nottingham at 5:15 pm at the Broadway Cinema. As with the last few years there the film being shown, by popular request, was It's a Wonderful Life. Mrs, Miss and Mr Chulla went there three years ago, but this time I was alone. Alone that is except for the nearly-full main auditorium of people who appreciate that this is one of the finest films ever made, and certainly the most popular. Most I suspect were there like me having seen it before but wanted to spend Christmas Eve in the right mood the start the festivities.

Young and old filled the seats, and as soon as the film's studio identity of a swinging bell came on screen we all knew what was coming, with Dimitri Tiomkin's music accompanying the opening credits. And when the first words were uttered - "I owe everything to George Bailey" we were in there, back where we had been before, back in that wonderful world of cinema where for a couple of hours you step off the street into another world.

I have seen the film seven or eight times and never tire of any part of it. I know where the sentimental bits come in, I am prepared for them but a tear still rolls down my cheek; I can't stop it. There is not a dull spot in its over-two-hours length, and there is nothing to be criticised. As the end-credits rolled the audience spontaneously applauded; their Christmas was off to a good start.

As Clarence the guardian angel says in the picture - "(we) have been given the greatest gift" (life), and that "each (person's) life touches so many others". Life really is wonderful. Unfortunately, too many people in this world do not realise it. Perhaps they should be made to watch It's a Wonderful Life. To those of you reading this and who have never seen it, next Christmas go the Broadway and enjoy the experience.

• Upvote 3
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Berni Inns used to sell sherry by the clipper (standard size) or the schooner (generous size). Perhaps a dock is an indication of the size of the glass (pint?).

New Year Greetings to all Nottstalgians

12 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Always had a ‘schooner’ myself.

You must have been a serious drinker Phil. A schooner of Sherry was 6-8 fl oz

A schooner in South Australia is 10 fl oz or 285 ml and is a common measure of beer