Bird ID help please

I took these a few days ago, it was up very high and the weather was appaling, I thought it was a Buzzard, I have only just uploaded to the PC and on second veiwing I'm not so sure .

7132866041_03dc2b3696_b.jpg

7132865939_2198c4d27c_b.jpg

6986779834_a36bb400e6_b.jpg

7132864983_7a675d43bd_b.jpg

7132865493_bd20394776_b.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated

Yes it is a Buzzard, but not a common or garden one. It is a Honey Buzzard, indentified by it's relatively small head, and on the second photo by it's barred tail. One or two pairs used to nest in Sherwood Forest, and may still do so.

They are an uncommon summer visitor to the UK, wintering in Africa. They feed mainly on wasp larvae.

You are very lucky to see one, and well done for getting the ID shots. The sighting will interest the local County Bird Recorder, if you can contact him.

Thank's OLDACE, I'll get in contact ASAP

I've had a few others look at them and their answers have ranged from a Hobby through Juvenile Buzzard, Peregrine , Goshawk, and a Sparrowhawk !

The Hobby and Peregrine are falcons and have pointed wings, the juvenile Buzzard does not have a barred tail. The Goshawk and Sparrowhawk do have barred tails and barring on the underparts, but the barring shown on photo's 1 and 4 are more consistant with Honey Buzzard than Gos or Sparrowhawk.

The small head, neck, and bill also indicate Honey Buzzard. Gos and Sparrowhawk have powerful necks in order to tear flesh. Your bird eats insects and their larva, so does not need a large head, neck, and bill.

A Honey Buzzard was seen eating Shag's eggs at Sumburgh Head a couple of years ago, but then we don't have wasps in Shetland, and only a few bees,and it must have been very hungry.

BTW Your county recorder should tell you his opinion of the bird if you ask him.