Brindsley was classed as an Eastwood colliery, your almost at the outcrop of several seams around that area. Not heard of Plumtre or Clinton, if Clinton only employes around a dozen, that may be the reason I've not unearthed any info on them.

Brindsley has had the headstocks rebuilt and returned to the original site and placed over the shaft caps in a park dedicated to coal mining in the area.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couple of Pit banners,seen at Caphouse colliery     Rog

Annesley Pit taken from the Frogs Head 

I lived at 51 Byron Street, Red.  Just out of shot on your Annesley pit photo.  There was no flag on the upcast headgear when I worked, sorry - Wokt there.

Plumptre colliery was about half a mile south of Brinsley just north west of Eastwood hall

Clinton colliery was just east of the Cromford Canal & had a tramway to the canal at Limekiln lock there was a warf there called Clinton warf.

My map is dated 1881 scale 25.344 inches to the mile.

Plumptre colliery is mentioned many times in "The history of the Nottingham Miners" volume 1 by A.R. Griffin published in 1955.

Plumtre colliery closed in 1912 during the 1912 Strike/lockout

Bubblewrap: It might be interesting to get a 6" map at the archives and see what like on there.

Bubblewrap: It might be interesting to get a 6" map at the archives and see what like on there.

The map I am referring to is 25 inches to the mile.

I also have some of Nottingham Ten & a half FEET to the mile these maps were surveyed 1880/1/2

• Upvote 1

I've mentioned it before on this site I think about a local ex miner who worked at Radford pit all his life and he has written a book, well compiled several A4 sheets all about Radford pit, it's called "The Bread and Herring pit" I believe he came from the Bilborough area and was encouraged to write down his memories of his working life by his son or son in law.

unfortunately I can't find my copy but I got it from the Nottingham information place under the council building, It's well worth reading if you can get a copy

Rog

• Upvote 1

Not sure if you've noticed it, but there is a thread on the subject in which BulwellBrian (who doesn't visit here much these days) says it closed in 1928

http://nottstalgia.c...=newcastle&st=0

Sorry I have not been arround, I have been ill. After Newcastle colliery closed its site was used as a landsale wharf presumably for coal to Nottingham. The coal was brought in by rail from Babbington. It was supposed to be NCB internal wagons but many BR wagons were also "borrowed".

Hucknall No 1 (Top Pit)

After the colliery ceased winding coal the downcast shaft remained connected to Hucknall No 2 and was used for materials for the High Main seam and also as the Area training centre. The upcast shaft was deepened to the Deep Soft seam and linked to Babbington colliery workings to provide additional ventilation it was then known as Babbington No 7 shaft. Babbington Soft workings extended well beyond this shaft to the north. The shaft also pumped mine water. I am not sure when it ceased to be used but it could have remained in used until Babbington closed.

A colliery I forgot about ........Trowell.

Trowell colliery is shown on an Ordnance map 112 dated 1950 but is shown as closed in i962.

The site of Trowell is/was just south of Trowell services on the M1 where it crosses the railway (Trowell branch, Radford Junction-Trowell)

I used to walk by Pye Hill pit on my way to work back in the seventies, the mens cantine was visible from the road between Jacksdale and Selston, apparently it joined up underground with Moorgreen. You wouldn't know anything had ever existed there now. Also back then Golden Valley was still old miners cottages and the bar at the Newlands Inn (now a burned out shell) was covered in pictures of the old Drift mines and miners. Years later when Golden Valley had become Des Res they had a reunion night at the Newlands and a lot of the old characters came back, some of the turns they did like "My Grandfathers Cock" were wonderful as was the night. I have watched the local community change over the decades since those early years and I still say that closing the mining industry was one thing but not replacing it with anything else was Tragic!.

Bubblwewrap: I have Os 1inch sheet No.121 1954. Is Trowel pit at Grid ref: SK 491 391?

Me fost wife were frum Selson. Her father had a strong 'old' erewash accent but her mother had the newer version. eg He said 'fost' and she would say Faerst. Both families were from Selston. Ay wokt dahn Underwud when I were at Annesley. He always called the third person "Oh" not sure how to spell it but that's how it sounded. He said it was a form of old Saxon language; whether it was or not I don't know. "Oh's ter mae" would be "He (or she) said to me."

Quite right the lingo is slightly different from central Nottingham, "tha Knows" and "Fair enjoyed me sen" Alfreton becomes "Often" Big mining area at one time the only other major employer being Butterley Engineering at Ripley and the Forges and Wagon works at Codnor Park, all gone now! You can still see the remnants of the railways that used to feed in and out of those places when out walking in the country.

I used to have a copy of the accent used just over the county line in Derbyshire, don't know what happened to it, I was sure I'd saved it, could be on an old hard drive though, must look for it as it differs greatly from the Nottm accent

I think I posted this once before, but shows two workings, one I suspect as the first Wollaton Colliery, the workings to the East are the Wollaton Colliery that the NCB worked.

NWMapofWollatonsworkingsDeepHard-1.jpg

I think I posted this once before, but shows two workings, one I suspect as the first Wollaton Colliery, the workings to the East are the Wollaton Colliery that the NCB worked.

NWMapofWollatonsworkingsDeepHard-1.jpg

I have a book tiled "early Coal-Mining Around Nottingham 1500-1650 By Richard.S.Smith.ISBN 1 85041 023 2 and covers mainly coal mining around Wollaton.

That's a photo from the Shane Phillips collection, Shane sent me dozens of Notts pits. They will all get added to my website.

The top left of that abandonment map is where the Top Hard seam outcrops, in fact I think the M1 actually went through the seam when they were building the road.

Most of the early workings, "Bell Pits" were what was known as Wollaton Colliery and paid for Wollaton Hall to be built by the Middletons.

I play golf with a couple of local ex miners both in their seventies Ron Naylor and Bob Brentnall. Ron was on shaft and tunneling at one time working out of Bestwood but visiting a lot of the local pits, he finished at Annesley when it closed around 95. I never realized how many beam engines were involved and what happened to them when the mines closed. he tells me one went to Papplewick pumping station.

Beam engines??? They went out in the 1800's. As for steam, I don't think there were any steam engines used in any operation at any colliery in the 1980's. Bestwood had a steam engine at the end of the industry, but it wasn't classed as a working colliery. But beam engines??? You've lost me there, they were used for pumping way back, with long cast iron rods down the shaft lifting water via pumps connected at various positions within the shaft.

But they went out as antiquities when electricity was introduced into mining in the late 1800's early 1900's when powerful electric pumps became available.