• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couple of Pit banners,seen at Caphouse colliery     Rog

Annesley Pit taken from the Frogs Head 

I lived at 51 Byron Street, Red.  Just out of shot on your Annesley pit photo.  There was no flag on the upcast headgear when I worked, sorry - Wokt there.

I doubt there would have been any beam engines at any NCB site in the 80's, they were pretty good at scrapping things without any historical thoughts..

There were well over 3000 Meco-Moore slicer loaders manufactured from the 1930's until the 1950's, not one has survived the scrap merchants. They were the very first mechanised power loaders. (Coal cutting machines pre trepanners and shearers)

I think the one at Papplewick was an ex colliery beam engine, but came from a colliery that was pre NCB.

Steam was on it's way out in the 1960's, winding engines were not beam engines though, they were single cylinder single acting atmospheric steam engines, winding engines were usually, twin double acting cylinder steam engines based on Watts design whereas most beam engines were Newcommen (sp) engines.

He may be thinking steam winders, but most of those ended up as scrap metal.

I think you are getting terminology confused. A "beam" engine describes a type of engine in which the beam is a major component - and many steam engines are also beam engines - typically used for pumping operations, so they are also "pumping" engines!

Most "winding" engines are not of the beam type - typically they use a sliding "crosshead" and a connecting rod directly to the drum. However, there are beam winding engines where the cylinder rod operates on one end of the beam via a parallel linkage, and the other end of the beam has a connecting rod to the drum.

Saw Ron today and asked him again about the beam engines. Ron was one of the men that were responsible for closing the shafts in fact he was one of four men who were the last to ride up from Underwood closing the louvers as they came. It was when they closed Pye Hill that they found the old beam pump although the steam power plant had long gone the beam, all the pipework, the leather bag at the bottom and the concrete basin at the top where they pumped out to were still there, he says they were donated to Butterley midland railway centre as a display item. Also told me that somewhere in Riddings woods there is another shaft with the beam pump still there.

I believe the old beam engine is still at Elsecar, although the shaft has long been filled.

He also knew a lot about the family that owned most of the local mines before British coal name of Oates! one bit of interest is that they had two identical clocks made, one is on Underwood church to commemorate those that died in WW1 the other was at Pye Hill and when it closed went to the market place at Stoke On Trent. He also said that the stretch of canal between Jacksdale and Langley Mill long ago filled in was done so by the local mines when they no longer required the use of it, Where as locals have long been told it was filled in by the local farmers.

It is a shame that people who have witnessed such as the ending of local industries do not post here.

And thats what I say

It is a shame that people who have witnessed such as the ending of local industries do not post here.

And thats what I say

I'm getting close to the 500 membership mark on the Coal and Colliery forum Mick, and it's starting to get busier too. There's also a few groups on FB on various collieries.

• 2 weeks later...

We save all this info on specialized sites Mick, check my Mining forum at http://coalmine.proboards.com/

There's a mine of information there, and also recall my website that's still down, also has a lot of Notts and Derbyshire mining history on it.

I have to get busy soon and get an alternate site set up and transfer the new improved site uploaded. Tons of photos and new history to upload.

In Eastwood, on Plumptre Way there is a house with a home made sign, showing the directions of what I think are old mines, anyone seen it? I will try and post a link to google street view. There is also a similar sign outside a house in Cossal, on the Glebe.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.012911,-1.304042&spn=0.000006,0.004823&hnear=NG8+2GE,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.012933,-1.304215&panoid=U2Euoevfofl2jtm4GEGCDA&cbp=12,257.44,,2,1.2

• Upvote 1

Eastwood had a lot of collieries around it during the 1800's to early 1900s, it's also on the edge of the coalfield, the outcrop of many seams from the Top Hard seam to the Deep Hard seam.

• 3 years later...

One of the instructors at Moorgreen Training Centre said he could tell you what seam a lump of coal came from by it's look, feel & smell. Even I could tell the difference between Hucknall's Deep Soft & Black Shale coal by just looking at it. Both seams returns had a completely different smell, Black Shale had an acrid sulphury smell & Deep Soft a err soft mellow smell. Very weird smell where the two returns merged at the top of the Black Shale return drift into the Deep Soft pit bottom main return road to the upcast shaft..

very interesting carni,I have visited the park a few times and the views are fantastic. I fined the location of the entrance

a strange one to choose (spring Lane) and wonder why the old pit entrance wasn't used. Not a problem for me and my

Brother we get though a man made gap in the hedge at the bottom of his road ( carni will know where that is) just like a

couple of kids.

• 2 years later...