Somewhere out there - probably in the libraries or online - there is a fine little walking leaflet named 'The Southwell Town Trail'. I've done this historic little walk of just over two miles a couple of times when I had a pleasant afternoon to spare.

Well recommended.

The Southwell Town Trail

saracens-head-hotel-nottinghamshire_030320091628163438.jpg

Definitely "Memory Lane" for me Stu. I was educated at the (now demolished) Southwell Minster Grammar School on Church Street, then some years later (1987-91) came back to Southwell, working for Rainbows Nightfreight whose premises are behind the old workhouse on the Burgage. At that time I lived in a flat above the Co-op shop on King Street; that too has now gone, replaced by the new library. One of my regular visitors of an evening was a local bobby, good friend of mine and a passionate motorcyclist; he used to pop up to my flat and drink his cuppa whilst sitting looking out of the bay window which gave him an excellent view of the street below. Much better than being down on the street, he used to say, as the local miscreants couldn't see him!

Strange co-incidence that the two places at which I spent most time (apart from the Admiral Rodney!) are probably the only two buildings in Southwell to have been demolished in the last decade or so; mind you neither had any architectural merit.

I like all that area Scriv. I think your home village of Thurgarton and Bleasby, Hoveringham, Halloughton, Fiskterton, Morton and all are really lovely places. Spent a little bit of time working at Brackenhurst college in the past too.

I always think that Southwell is the most attractive of Nottinghamshire towns and am regularly to be found there. I was in the library there just last week reading up a bit of local history. Sure you will remember the Newcastle Arms just past the Burgage? It's a fine real ale Everards pub now named 'The Final Whistle with a really nice railway theme.

Nothing not to like about that part of the county I reckon.

BritishAmericanCarShows2552.jpgSome Photo's of Southwell including the Workhouse and the Classic Car Sale"s, July 2011.

RGR, many thanks for your attractive photographs of Southwell; especially the one of the Workhouse - splendid shot you achieved.

Time and time again, I tell myself I must make a visit to the Workhouse and take in its history - thanks for reminding me.

Jackson - The Workhouse is well worth a visit. Mary and I took my aunt (91 years old at the time) several years ago and really enjoyed it. Mary was surprised that it was still in use until (I think) the mid '70s! It is an interesting introspective on the British social system prior to the systems in place today!

Always liked Southwell. Probably because my parents used to take the bus over there on the weekend evenings and leave me outside the Saracen's Head while they went in for a drink. :)

Great pics, thanks RGR.

A couple of years ago I took a visitor from Canada there and the Workhouse was her favourite visit during a stay in the UK which spanned Bath, Stonehenge/Salisbury, London, Edinburgh, the Peak District and York amongst other tourist honey pots.

I visited the Southwell Workhouse a few weeks ago for the third time. Each time I've gone I've learned new and interesting things. I took a good few pics and plan to do a little write-up of it sometime soon.

A couple of interesting things I found out were that the Workhouse at Southwell was the template (in its main elements) for every other workhouse in the country. There was also another workhouse I was told (on the Nottingham Road). I'd like to locate that building.

Re Limey's comment about it still being in use in the mid-seventies, one of the rooms is kitted out as a dormitory full of 60s/70s paraphernalia including a large poster of Jimi Hendrix on the wall (below). Apparently, the likes of single mothers were given accommodation there at that time with the advantage for them that it elevated their position on the council housing list due to the inadequate living conditions.

southwell-workhouse-21-4-12-0361.jpg?w=502&h=377