Photos to cheer us up

Well, it's May 1st - and still no benches - but look at the color of the sky, and you can just make out a boat in the lake! Temperature is in the upper 70's (mid 20's to you lot), so things are looking up. Rumor has it the benches "may" be installed next weekend - stay tuned!

May2013_zps376cc95a.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a bit of a clearout at home & found a CD I had created in 2003 full of photo's that I had taken with my first digital camera, an Olympus E860, 1.3 MP ! Some of these photo's I had forgotte

Two years ago we were celebrating my husband's birthday here, on Harbour Island in the Bahamas. The week-long stay was arranged with his brother, sister and their spouses. Unbeknown to everyone, excep

We don't have up to date mobiles to take instant photo's with, so you can imagine the chances of finding the camera, setting it up, getting as close as possible to the patio window and getting this li

Lake View Park Oshawa over looking "Lake Ontario". Summer is on the way.OshawaOnt038.jpg

How come you keep taking my wifes sister with you on all your pics, Now you got one of my dogs.

• 4 weeks later...

June 1st - we finally have benches and a few brave folk hanging out on the beach. Despite the way it looks, there was a cold wind today although it was mid 70's in the village!

1cfc7ca2-1de7-42e6-937b-863012dfb0b7_zps

PSSSST !!! (They take them away in winter to stop the natives using them for firewood !)

Our natives would have taken them already, as well as the trees and anything else that would burn! slywink

• Upvote 1

It's amazing how long one tree actually lasts !

Our neighbours had one chopped down two years ago I only had half of it, and I've still got enough left from it for at least two more winters

(Actually they had two chopped down but I shared the timber around the neighbours that still had open fires)

It's amazing how long one tree actually lasts !

Our neighbours had one chopped down two years ago I only had half of it, and I've still got enough left from it for at least two more winters

(Actually they had two chopped down but I shared the timber around the neighbours that still had open fires)

Weeellll - it depends on what size of tree you start with - and of course, it lasts even longer if you don't have an open fire !

I reckon I have at least three winters worth of wood stacked outside and all from windfalls during last winter's gales.

A couple more for Compos pond:-

5lb 4oz Mirror Carp

8934423790_c92c10b91e_o.jpg
6lb 7oz Mirror Carp
8933807985_6b5b5767ea_o.jpg

Stick them in the post Beefsteak and I'll give them a good home :)

Carp are on the same level as the other introduced pests, rabbits, foxes and cane toads here in Australia.

They are destroying the waterways but provide good fertiliser: harvested by the truckload after electro fishing then processed and sold as Charlie Carp!

http://www.charliecarp.com/environment.htm

• Upvote 1

I was talking to another 'Ozzie' member about this problem a couple of years back, in the "Fishing " thread that was started. I don't understand how they can cause a problem over there yet not here, regardless of the fact that they grow to some humongous sizes here now. There has just been a 100 pounder caught in Northern France, and there are several over 60lb here in the UK, even some of 'my' waters hold many over the 40lb mark ,and I have never come across any problems caused by these fish.

Tell you what, we could send you a few "Eastern European Pykies" .They eat them and are forever nicking our 'specimen fish', three were stolen out of my local lake over winter, all around the 20lb mark. How do I know? I hear you ask, well these are that thick , they sat on the bank and scrapped the scales off of them, left the scales (Evidence) behind. then proceeded to do the same to an unfortunate Swan that had got too close.

Beefsteak, you can keep your Eastern European Pykies. We have enough African, Indian, Sri Lankan, Malaysian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Afghanistan, Iranian, Iraqi and any other nationality that feels that Australia owes them a new life arriving in this country each day.

Carp are a big, big problem though and is slowly destroying the natural fish habitats. As you know, they are bottom feeders and stir up the mud and weeds to such an extent that the water is no longer clear, there is no under water vegetation and the other species of fish. like trout, move on or just die.

Use to enjoy catching the odd pike when I was a youngster. Always 1 or 2 in the ponds near the RoT weir.

• Upvote 1

Seriously, Carp and Trout aren't kept in the same waters, Carp are more or less in ponds and lakes with Trout being more of a river fish, although there are 'Trout Lakes' these aren't stocked with Carp and vice versa, Rivers aren't stocked with Carp nowadays, but you still find them in the bigger rivers, and boy do you know if you've got a 'river Carp' on as opposed to a lake one.
Those of mine are all lake ones and took around 5 minutes to get in. If they'd come out the Trent at that weight they would have been half that size and I'd probably still be fighting them half an hour later ! If they had come out the river and been the same dimensions as those they would probably have been around 10 lb
I have a photo I took in around 1985 of my dad with a 10 pounder he had out of the Trent just above the Sluices (His biggest ever fish) It looks smaller than the smallest of those above.

• 5 weeks later...

A bit late this month as we were out of town but this was taken on July 3rd. People are setting up to view the Pentwater fireworks which are always on the night of the 3rd. They have a 10 hour wait (sunset is 9:30pm), and when I took the picture (at noon) it was raining!

1307Jul2013_zpse4f5b75e.jpg