Photos to cheer us up

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a bit of a clearout at home & found a CD I had created in 2003 full of photo's that I had taken with my first digital camera, an Olympus E860, 1.3 MP ! Some of these photo's I had forgotte

Two years ago we were celebrating my husband's birthday here, on Harbour Island in the Bahamas. The week-long stay was arranged with his brother, sister and their spouses. Unbeknown to everyone, excep

We don't have up to date mobiles to take instant photo's with, so you can imagine the chances of finding the camera, setting it up, getting as close as possible to the patio window and getting this li

She's gorgeous, Carni. I know a couple of three legged cats and one dog. Real characters all of them!

Cats do show love and affection, even when they aren't hungry. Mine never cease to amaze me and when I've been down to cat rescue, I'm covered in cat hair. They dash from all corners to come and say hello, demand cuddles and climb up my trouser legs! Love em all to bits!

• Like 2

Strange name for a woman !

• Like 2

WB has always been upmarket !

• 4 weeks later...

I chose this photo as one to cheer me up because of a couple of reasons,one, I had just finished making this submersible pump floating pontoon at East Leake quarry where I enjoyed working and two, I no longer have to work outside in freezing conditions and get covered in mud

Roger_East_Leake.jpg

Enjoyed every minute of it though

Rog

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

It pumped just water out of the large silt settling lagoon (the one in the picture)  down to the freshwater lagoon (about half mile away) which was used in the sand and gravel washing plant, the silt lagoon was dug out and the material processed down at the plant, it was about thirty meters deep in the center and was about 400 mtrs by 300mts on the surface, in time the silt levels were get too high to return freshwater so the silty water was pumped from the plant into into the next excavation of about the same size, when the silt in the original lagoon had settled and hardened (after about 5-7 years) it was capped off using the top soils that were originally stockpiled from the area,after that it could be used for agriculture again but not root crops for five years.

Rog

Good pic. Rog........glad you enjoyed that sort of work.......nearly got envious.......lol.........i preferred being in a warm shop,.............collar and tie.....''good morning Madam''....'tub butter?'....certainly......Wonderloaf,......6 Pyclets...........Qtr of Brooke Bond divi''  and a pound of Peas with a soaker.............thats 8/6...thankyou...........have a nice day and tell your Maureen i'll be round about.....7............

Hard work,but somebody had to do it..............lol

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Can't beat working in a quarry,too cold in winter,too hot in summer and bloody awful in spring and autumn but as I said loved every minute

Rog

• Like 1

Thurlby quarry had just about worked out when I first went over there and we were just pulling the pumps out and salvaging what we could which was not very much, ( the quarry industry tends to get more life out of plant than they were designed for) the new site opened up just round the corner at Norton Disney,that is now worked out and the company have started excavating the airfield itself,I think the Norton site had a life of about 18-19 years and at current production levels it looks like the airfield could have a life of about the same, I think the Newark canoe club use Thurlby lake for their activities and Roe have bought the other end, not sure what for though

Rog

Nice photo Rog, brings back memories of my younger days at ICI Tunstead just outside of Buxton. I had it pretty good compared to that open site, working on the cement plant where at least you could get some shelter and even in the harshest winter you could always warm up by stranding under the horizontal kiln. Out side yes but with two jets burning 16 gallons of preheated heavy oil every minute of the day even Peak District snow never got to the ground.

I enjoyed the work but ICI though great employers they wanted people like Blackpool rock with ICI running through them, even the hard hats were controlled, blue for sparkies, green for chemists, white for production workers, white with welding goggles plant fitters and mates red for gaffers and so on, still it was an interesting way to pass 14 months for someone who likes heavy plant.

As I said NBL I loved every minute of quarry work (43 years) it was only on rare occasions you got to work inside (site workshop) and they were never heated usually made of aluminium sheet freezing in winter and unbearable in summer, at least to work on mobile plant there was always plenty of room underneath them to work unlike under a car, if you were working on the static plant or conveyor systems they were all outside it was luxury if the main plant had some sort of cladding which is very rare and everything is constantly wet because of the washing system, wouldn't have done it if I dint like it though,great times

Rog

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I was looking through my photos tuther day and found the one that is now my Avatar. When I looked at it  I thought something looked familiar. Take a look,  me and my best buddie shared anything in those days, from a park drive to a summer frock. 1964, both sweet sixteen.

IMG_20171004_180720_2.jpg

Susan.jpg

Sorry if this takes up to much space, but when I saw it, it brought back so many memories.

PS. If I look a bit sad, it's because it is Sues turn to wear it and I didn't want to part with it.

I must learn how to size my photos, i think they are a bit small.   CliffTon.....where are you.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, carni said:

I must learn how to size my photos, i think they are a bit small.   CliffTon.....where are you.

Either they are small or my eye sight has gone downhill fast in the last few days.  I assume they are normal b/w print size to start with, and then you scan them. 

Then what do you do ?

Cracking pair of 'Birds'............Park Drive smokers as well...........what more could a lad want.........and get 'shared'.............:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Your photos aren't on here Carni, they are embedded here, virtually what you see is a link, all the data is on the site where your photos are uploaded to.

• Like 1