Photos to cheer us up

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a bit of a clearout at home & found a CD I had created in 2003 full of photo's that I had taken with my first digital camera, an Olympus E860, 1.3 MP ! Some of these photo's I had forgotte

Two years ago we were celebrating my husband's birthday here, on Harbour Island in the Bahamas. The week-long stay was arranged with his brother, sister and their spouses. Unbeknown to everyone, excep

We don't have up to date mobiles to take instant photo's with, so you can imagine the chances of finding the camera, setting it up, getting as close as possible to the patio window and getting this li

Zebra at Nechisar National Park, Arba Minch, Southern Ethiopia, 1st November 2010.  Great palce to celebrate my 60th birthday.... This lot just ambled past as though we weren't even there!

22940456785_0833026b98_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Kids - you have to love 'em don't you! This liitle boy followed me all around a Hamar market in Ethiopia - all he wanted was to hold my hand and smile at me.

22752487900_24fdf23578_z.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The giant deck chairs must be everywhere, I clambered into one in Aberystwyth recently, and had a heck of a job getting back out.

• Like 3

If he continued to be that innocent and friendly to all the strange men he came across, he may have had some very unhappy experiences...  Where was his mother, or the person supposed to be looking after him,  I wonder...

Duchary Rock Fort:

This Iron Age fort in Strath Brora was built as a defensive measure around 2800 years ago. It is situated at an altitude of about 800ft on top of a hill which has cliffs on the north and south side and slopes to the east and west. In order to defend the hill it was necessary to build thick stone walls on the east and west sides.  All that remains today are hard-to-see earthworks inside the area and the remnants of the collapsed walls. An entrance can be seen in the western wall. Archaeologists have determined that the walls were originally 12ft thick.

The hill with the east wall on top:

43242210254_5341bd03b0_b.jpg

The line of the west wall

43055652675_c00188e617_b.jpg

Upright stones marking the entrance

43242230274_19268db6c7_b.jpg

A section of wall still partially intact

30092359078_fe220101c2_b.jpg

This is a view of the  valley bottom below the fort, showing signs of ancient farming activity, almost certainly providing food for the fort occupants.  It is likely that this area was in use for food production from the Bronze Age (around 3,000BC) right through to the Highland Clearances of the early 1800s, when people were forced off the land by the landlords in order to put sheep on the land instead of subsistence farmers.

43242274784_56b94cc4fd_b.jpg

Finally, A large glacial "Erratic" boulder across the glen. [If I recall correctly, Hemlockstone in Notts is also a glacial erratic boulder, deposited by a retreating glacier at the beginning of one of the interstadial periods between glaciations.]

43055809495_50eb01b8a9_b.jpg

• Like 4
On 8/11/2018 at 9:06 PM, Brew said:

Wayup Compo. Margie reckons you're strange!

Margie's right, Brew; they don't come much stranger than me! The child was a Hamer boy. Here's an image of the Hamar women.  They have their backs whipped by the men during "Coming of Age" ceremonies.  the Hamar trie lives in teh Omo Valley in Southern Ethiopia. He would probably be better off with a strange man!

PgBJGozPhvGb80ML1wUsXLAwgCN9J6oRaqcXYoQg

XhLrtcc_Q3KtOITLpkjb0ZYwlCRhda8qfgeNXF1I

This thread is supposed to be photos that cheer us up!   I too, am horrified at the barbarity of that tradition... Sad to  think that the sweet little boy that Compo befriended might also have inflicted such  pain on another human being, when he grew up..

• Like 1

Sorry catfan,,back off topic,,had to mention those awful photo's of whip marks,,once took a Guard into Yarmouth,,he was an Arab from Kenya,,we shared a room at a B/B.......Mubarak was his name lovely bloke,,i noticed his back was covered in similar marks..........being who i am asked him about them........he was flogged by some locals in Mombasa just for being a Muslim,,............some nasty people we share this wonderful world with,,....he lived in Peterborough and told me he thought England was Heaven on Earth''' bless him passed away a few years ago.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Sorry catfan,,back off topic,,had to mention those awful photo's of whip marks,,once took a Guard into Yarmouth,,he was an Arab from Kenya,,we shared a room at a B/B.......Mubarak was his name lovely bloke,,i noticed his back was covered in similar marks..........being who i am asked him about them........he was flogged by some locals in Mombasa just for being a Muslim,,............some nasty people we share this wonderful world with,,....he lived in Peterborough and told me he thought England was Heaven on Earth''' bless him passed away a few years ago.

Man's inhumanity of course Ben, sad to say.

• Like 1
On 8/22/2018 at 3:29 PM, Brew said:

Good grief! there are some things you wish you just hadn't seen, that must have been agonising.

Believe it or not.....the women encourage and goad the men to do this. The tradition is that the more scars the woman has the more attractive she is to the men and thus the better the man she can get.

On 8/22/2018 at 9:03 PM, IAN123. said:

Sediment seperation is fantastic Catfan!

must be around Hunstanton area? 

• Like 1

Compo's  finest home made "Platform End Bitter"; built with nothing but Scottish malt, home grown hops, yeast and well water.  Drunk out of a King George VI stamped pint glass.

44352215132_0000694517_c.jpg

• Like 6