Photos to cheer us up

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a bit of a clearout at home & found a CD I had created in 2003 full of photo's that I had taken with my first digital camera, an Olympus E860, 1.3 MP ! Some of these photo's I had forgotte

Two years ago we were celebrating my husband's birthday here, on Harbour Island in the Bahamas. The week-long stay was arranged with his brother, sister and their spouses. Unbeknown to everyone, excep

We don't have up to date mobiles to take instant photo's with, so you can imagine the chances of finding the camera, setting it up, getting as close as possible to the patio window and getting this li

Me heading downstream at Llangollen Wharf on the Llangollen canal. When we reached Trevor basin, we met up with a horse drawn boat heading the same way. I mentioned to the crew that we ought to get a move on so as not to impede the horse. In the space of about 3 hours, every time we looked round, the horse was right behind us ! Not only that but the horse boat had an Alsatian dog crewmember that always swam behind the boat. The only time he got out was at a lock then he walked around the lock, wait for the boat to come through then jump back in again !!

Llangllen-Canal.jpg

• Like 3

Melissa, in reply to your question, I think ( but may be wrong) it was around 1951/2. I would have to find the picture again for confirmation. Beekay.

Walked along there many times Beekay,seen the horse as well,he's stabled in the town and walks through there every morning and evening

Rog

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Good heavens! That looks bigger than Foxton.

It can take hours to climb Phil. If your thinking about it, go for it. We've not been for a while as 'er indoors is a bit ropey on her pins, ( she did the ropes and locks because she refused to steer). B.

4 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Walked along there many times Beekay,seen the horse as well,he's stabled in the town and walks through there every morning and evening

Rog

I'm not referring to the horse drawn trip boats Rog. They run from the wharf to horseshoe falls. The one that followed us was a private boat and was carrying bags of coal etc. Beekay

The only ‘proper’ locks we’ve ever tackled were along the Trent between Cromwell and Colwick. They were always controlled by a lock keeper. Lock keeping along the Trent is now done by volunteers, but out of hours or if they’re not staffed it’s diy. They are all electric though, so it’s just a matter of pressing buttons. Cromwell, being the gateway to the tidal stretch, is always manned and consultation with the lock keeper is necessary to go with the tides and ensure you don’t get stuck on the sandbanks. The rise and fall in the locks is quite considerable and can be a bit scary for a first time user!

Rog., This is where the horse drawn boat base is (left), you can see a trip boat at top of picture. I believe they go upstream as far as the Chain Bridge Hotel. Then take the tow rope to the other end for the return journey.

Llangllen-Canal.jpg

• Like 2

Cromwell lock tragedy 28 September 1975 when 10 volunteer para engineers lost their lives

Cromwell_lock_001.jpg

Cromwell_lock_002.jpg

Certainly NOT a photo to cheer anyone up,but seeing as Cromwell lock was mentioned

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"131 Independent Parachute Squadron,Royal Engineers (Volunteers) lost their lives at Cromwell wier on Excercise Trent Chase"

They were in a big dinghy and it went over the wier when the trent was in flood, sad loss of life

Rog

Plenty of chit chat regarding what cameras folks use, lenses etc, and it reminded me of when I was a member of the Plessey Railway Society many years ago. We held a photographic competition, and I won a first and third placing. The guy who came second and his dad were extremely avid photographers, and were convinced they were going to win. 

After the ensuing excitement had abated, the father came to me, and asked what camera I had, and which brand of film I used. I told him that I only had an old Canon Sureshot, and used Sainsburys own brand film. He proceeded to rattle on about Pentax Zeiss this that and the other, and that he kept Fuji film in the fridge !

My first of the two pictures was taken from the window of the 4.10 Glasgow- Fort William, directly into the sunlight. When I told him that I'd just leaned out of the window and clicked, he gasped.

My second picture was that of a class 45 in the mist on a foggy morning . He rattled on about exposure, time lapses, tripods at all, and I told him I just leant on the fence at Furnace Rd at Trowell, and just clicked. His face was about to explode when I said that photography was so simple, just point and click ! It can't be that difficult can it. He went apoplectic and stormed off. 

Theres so much snobbery regarding photography I reckon.

• Like 2

I must get my old film camera's out and have a go with them,it's been years since I used them, nothing special,a Zenit and a Practica,can you still get films for them

Rog

Similar scenario RR to that during Forests glory years. Trips to Wembley always brought out the newbies, hangers on, and glory chasers, as their scarves were in pristine condition, new shirts with the creases still in then, and new  flags.

I always use to tease folks with 'Were you at Hereford, Wrexham, Leyton Orient, Halifax, Southend, Tranmere, Oldham, Bury, Celtic, Oxford, etc ? ' No bleddy way, of course they weren't. Most couldn't tell which were north or south anyway !

I always remember this bloke fishing on the Embankment steps, the almost had scaffold built around him to hold all his gear, me & my younger brother turned up with 2 split cane cork handled rods & wicker basket, no licence, within minutes we where both pulling monster fish out, think we made this bloke ill he had to pack up & go home.   

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Ha, and I bet he now suffers from arthritis from hours of lugging gear around, and sitting for hours on end in the cold and damp. 

It makes me chuckle when I see fishermen rigged out in combat gear and camouflage. They're only after a fish for Gods sake, not wading through swamps with the Chindits behind Jap lines, or with  the SAS in the Libyian desert. 

• Like 3

In my fishing days Fly i saw the extremes of dress,, i just went casual,,you know, without cufflinks lol,

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I bet you had your bleddy tie on though Ben. Whenever you felt reckless, did you undo your top button, and roll your sleeves up ? 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, plantfit said:

I must get my old film camera's out and have a go with them,it's been years since I used them, nothing special,a Zenit and a Practica,can you still get films for them

Rog

I've got film that's been in my freezer for years. Just bring it out and leave it for a couple of hours before use.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, radfordred said:

I always remember this bloke fishing on the Embankment steps, the almost had scaffold built around him to hold all his gear, me & my younger brother turned up with 2 split cane cork handled rods & wicker basket, no licence, within minutes we where both pulling monster fish out, think we made this bloke ill he had to pack up & go home.   

Last fished regular about 10 yrs ago.....lived very close to 'Forge Mill'  Bestwood village,,,Rod set up all the time in me Garage,,,so i went casual ,just when it took my fancy........have great memories of some real characters that fished there...........One that sticks out was a chap called Ivan who lived in the village,,,think he was pushing 80 and an EX Bevan boy,,,,he would turn up early summer evenings,,wearing a suit and his best shoes,,,Rod in hand bits of Bait and tackle in his pockets,,,always sat in same place on an old Log or something.....and always caught a couple of 'big uns'.......he was always full of 'wise cracks' and always took the 'wee wee' out of them that sat there all day,,with everything but the Kitchen sink.

Me and him became good pals,,but one night i thought i heard someone calling my name,,Ivan hadn't arrived yet and thought he wouldn't bother because we'd had a lot of rain and it was very 'Muddy'..........anyway about ten minutes after the faint shouting  Ivan appeared,,covered in mud all over his suit with shoes in a right state,,, he said to me........''didn't you  @::f%!" (*&$£F~?/"!£$%^7-+=)hear me ?

He eventually settled down....caught two big Fish.....then left,,saying he'd go for a Pint in the local clubby if he wern't barred..........magic character,,went to his funeral in the village about a year later.......miss him...........

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2