Photos to cheer us up

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a bit of a clearout at home & found a CD I had created in 2003 full of photo's that I had taken with my first digital camera, an Olympus E860, 1.3 MP ! Some of these photo's I had forgotte

Two years ago we were celebrating my husband's birthday here, on Harbour Island in the Bahamas. The week-long stay was arranged with his brother, sister and their spouses. Unbeknown to everyone, excep

We don't have up to date mobiles to take instant photo's with, so you can imagine the chances of finding the camera, setting it up, getting as close as possible to the patio window and getting this li

2 hours ago, plantfit said:

It wouldn't have anything to do with the positioning of that bucket would it Brew  slywink

Rog

No but it did concern the rear ends

18 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

The Southwell Workhorse is a fantastic experience, and well worth a visit.

Workhorse or Workhouse ??

Watch it ! LOL  :yahoo:

Could've been.

38 minutes ago, Brew said:

Ah,would it be the wee fella's luv spuds

Rog

2 hours ago, plantfit said:

Ends, plural so no, two pictures =two ends

Ask at the next meet...  till then my lips are sealed...

• Like 1
On 4/10/2019 at 1:10 PM, Beekay said:

Rog., This is where the horse drawn boat base is (left), you can see a trip boat at top of picture. I believe they go upstream as far as the Chain Bridge Hotel. Then take the tow rope to the other end for the return journey.

Llangllen-Canal.jpg

They do indeed.. and if you happen to be under a bridge at the same time as the lady leading the horse pulling the boat, she yells at you to get out of her way because she can't stop!

• Like 1

Here's one of the aqueduct at Pontyc.. err.. Pontycysussll.. err.. the end of the Llangollen Canal...  Taken a couple of years ago. :)

34183516182_6d039b9d85_b.jpg

• Like 1

Pontcysyllte. Bit of useless information-- the stretch from Horseshoe falls was never meant for boat traffic. It was for keeping the canal topped up from the river Dee. If memory serves me correctly to the tune of six million gallons a day. The canal should have gone on from Trevor basin to Ellesmere, ( you can see where it ends).

• Like 2

Love that. Jacket, Tie and sweater was regulation wear, even just for nippung down to the pub, and for quite a lot of manual workers as well as 'white collar' workers.

Back to the Llangollen canal. Me and my mate Kev went to Horseshgoe Falls and were pretty disappointed.  More of a curved weir than falls.  There's a pumping staion there now.. electric powered and presumable for topping up the canal.

]34338116425_761b385e5b_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Llangolllen Railway is good for a trip Col. The scenery up to Horseshoe pass is quite spectacular.

• Like 1

Stayed in Llangollen a couple of times, and did the train ride. Superb on a clear day.

• Like 1

DJ, the weir was constructed for that very purpose, to draw off water to feed the canal, 6,000,000 galls a day. First time we walked up there from Llangollen wharf, we were bitterly disappointed. Went one year when the Dee was in flood, WOW !! We found a lamb, two cats tangled in the branches of riverside trees, showing the level of flood water. The chain bridge at the hotel was in danger of being washed away. B.

10 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Love that. Jacket, Tie and sweater was regulation wear, even just for nippung down to the pub, and for quite a lot of manual workers as well as 'white collar' workers.

Back to the Llangollen canal. Me and my mate Kev went to Horseshgoe Falls and were pretty disappointed.  More of a curved weir than falls.  There's a pumping staion there now.. electric powered and presumable for topping up the canal.

]34338116425_761b385e5b_c.jpg

On 4/10/2019 at 12:38 PM, MelissaJKelly said:

Beekay - what year was the picture from Douglas Primary School?

Was you at Douglas too, Melissa? My son was there in the mid 1970s. Long before your time though. :)

• Like 1

Two would-be puffin spotters standing on the wrong side of the gorge last Friday at sunrise: :)

-xC8aWMPMHSF_tvvw67HMOjWe1uXN53loYM7dLso

......and what you see when you stand on the correct side of the gorge:

YNf4w9ttjpV4Nyh5zH3dmkWreZRGExGwbzH5boIs

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That PIC of me and me dad was taken on a pub darts trip to somewhere in Skegness. Don't really remember much about it except that the group were all old farts. Now I'm an old fart me self !!

• Like 2

scan-barrie.png

Me, when I had hair and looked intelligent. At NCB., medical services, E-Ray dept., Cinderhill rd., Bulwell. circa 1982 (ish).