Photos to cheer us up

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a bit of a clearout at home & found a CD I had created in 2003 full of photo's that I had taken with my first digital camera, an Olympus E860, 1.3 MP ! Some of these photo's I had forgotte

Two years ago we were celebrating my husband's birthday here, on Harbour Island in the Bahamas. The week-long stay was arranged with his brother, sister and their spouses. Unbeknown to everyone, excep

We don't have up to date mobiles to take instant photo's with, so you can imagine the chances of finding the camera, setting it up, getting as close as possible to the patio window and getting this li

Posh garden Nonna, where do you plant the pink stones and how often do they need watering ?  :tease:

POSH; you must be joking. We had to put the cactus somewhere.Its the only bit we 've got.

On 6/2/2019 at 2:43 AM, IAN123. said:

Capturing the Raleigh workers at knocking off time.

-1960's.gettyimages-501214579-612x612.jpgcould'nt wait for the hooter me..on a Friday i'd go the pretty way home via the Stag and the Robert Peel...often woke up in Rise Park outside Charlie 2

Happy days.

What a wonderfully evocative picture! The man wearing the blazer..the badge ring's a small distant bell,

The 'Youngster' on the right reminds of the bosses son from 'Carry on at your convenience' ;)

• 2 weeks later...

All my daughters work Compo

It looks different now as all the herbs and other plants have grown, especially the cactus. I had to chop 16 " leaves " off it as it was beginning to droop with the weight but we've repotted some and given others away.Theres one "leaf" that is huge and I'm not sure whether to chop that or leave it.

• Like 1

IMG-3429.jpg

Shall I chop it or leave it til we can climb to the top.

17 hours ago, Beekay said:

Would that be the Prickly pear then Paul ?

18 hours ago, Compo said:

Opuntias have edible fruit, Nonna.

Opuntia Stricta, (Prickly Pears) were imported into Australia in  the 19th Century and quickly took over some 15,000 square miles of good farming land (Nottinghamshire is about 850 sq miles) and made it unproductive.

They imported a biological control Cactoblastis Cactorum a moth in 1925 and it was very effective in controlling a very invasive visitor. It was a lot more  successful than the bl**dy Cane Toad which was imported in an attempt to stem the cane beetle and has now become a pest in its own right.

• Like 2
On 7/2/2019 at 8:28 PM, Compo said:

Opuntias have edible fruit, Nonna.

Yes that's what we're hoping for but don't think it's hot enough even at the recent temperatures . Sicily is the place to take them straight from the tree. Never mind though they sell them in the markets.

I've seen them fruiting in Cyprus, Nonna, so you should be able to get them to fruit in Iatly. However, I'm not sure at what altitude you live - you could be too high up for it to be hot enough for long enough?

1 hour ago, Compo said:

I've seen them fruiting in Cyprus, Nonna, so you should be able to get them to fruit in Iatly. However, I'm not sure at what altitude you live - you could be too high up for it to be hot enough for long enough?

Only seen them fruiting in Sicily and eaten them for breakfast straight from fridge. Here its very humid , but dont know the ideal for growing them. Ours was given to us by a friend that had it on her balcony, it was very withered and we didnt expect it to survive but we can actually see it growing day by day. A new shoot takes only days to mature. Lets hope it does fruit. Dont know whether its big enough or mature enough though.

• Like 1

I saw first time, obviously dont quote when theres a photo. Cant be sure whether you're referring to me or not. Its obvious when quoting with a photo that it takes too much space and as far as I remember I have not done so but quoting a few lines... so many do it. I apologise and I consider my hand slapped. I realised that Ive quoted a few in the last few days. This is often done in case loads of other posts appear in the meantimie and it gets lost and no one knows what the post is about.

• Like 1

The time to NOT use the Quote button is if you are referring to the immediately preceding post.

If you are referring to a post (with a photo) from several days or weeks ago you obviously have to quote it, otherwise no-one knows what you are talking about.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for pointing out the correct procedure , I hadnt realised I'd done it quite so often . Habit I suppose.

• Upvote 1

Does quoting the relevant bit of a previous post (not the immediate preceding one) count as wasting band space too?  If I want to reply to a section of an older post I always quote a selection and not the full post. Ban me if you want but I think a small selection of quote from an old post is not only relelvant but also very helpful and leads to a more fluent conversation.

• Like 2

Yes I've done that too but especially if the post is a long one , to delete the remainder is a bit of a drag so its obviously quicker to quote the whole thing. But Promise I won't do it again.:rulez:

nonna you don't need to click quote and them mess around deleting sections you don't want. All I do is right click and highlight the bit I want to quote, release the button and above the text   'search/copy'  appears and below it a box with    'Quote selection'.

I did a screen shot but the forum will not allow pictures from my hard drive...

I put it on imgur but I'm too stupid to get it to appear here, it really is a frustrating faff around posting pics to the forum without selling your soul to the devil.

• Like 1