Photos to cheer us up

Had a few pints in the Eric when I stayed in the Midland hotel for a birthday treat a few years ago.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a bit of a clearout at home & found a CD I had created in 2003 full of photo's that I had taken with my first digital camera, an Olympus E860, 1.3 MP ! Some of these photo's I had forgotte

Two years ago we were celebrating my husband's birthday here, on Harbour Island in the Bahamas. The week-long stay was arranged with his brother, sister and their spouses. Unbeknown to everyone, excep

We don't have up to date mobiles to take instant photo's with, so you can imagine the chances of finding the camera, setting it up, getting as close as possible to the patio window and getting this li

14 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I couldn't stand Ernie Wise

Double acts like theirs were an art form. Each half "bounced" off the other, which made the act gel together. Ernie Wise was necessary to give Eric the leads into his funny lines. 

I took my children to meet Eric Morecambe at Wollaton Hall when they were quite small.  He was such an engaging fellow that they still remember the day with great fondness.  they stood holding hands (Boy & girl) and to break the ice he said "I see you are holding hands - are you married?"  They laughed and didn't stop until their allotted time was up.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

As I get older the more I seem to become a shadow of my former self:

40378666900_f8daa638f4_c.jpg

• Like 2

Not the Serengetti but a photo of the centre of Caithness in the far north of Scotland. 400m years ago, this area was part of a large, shallow tropical sea, known as "Lake Orcadie":

42139543622_44e9af5352_h.jpg

• Like 2

Here's a couple for Trogg: 1. Central Caithness; showing Achscorriclate (derelict for many years) and the Caithness Alps and 2. The area of moorland behind Dunbeath in the south of the county.  The golden hue in the first photo is caused by the setting sun behind me:

27314748047_4883279b22_h.jpg

41465084784_466259720d_h.jpg

• Like 4

"Of course I'll pose for youro photo" said the frog in my garden pond, "How's this for a big smile?"

28530686288_ffe996fffd_b.jpg

• Like 2

An evening walk up the Wick River whilst there was a power cut the other day (The first photo was taken in a heat haze over the Flow Country, looking out towards the Ben Griams over the bogs the following day).  There are captions describing what you are seeing on each photo.  Click on the photo to see the full image and caption:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskBM8Zdf

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This past month has seen wonderful weather here in Caithness. I can honestly say that it has been the bast five weeks since I arrived here in 1993.  Clear blue skies punctuated by temperatures in the mid-20s has made for a lovely period of gardening weather. This morning I was cleaning out the pond filter when I noticed damselflies skitting about the pond.  I didn't catch any actually laying eggs, although I have seen them laying when my camera weas not to hand.

The large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula)

42643557251_f256a3fb79_b.jpg

• Like 1

A wild and lonely place.  Morven and Small Mount with the ruins of  "Wag" in the centre of the photo.  Taken last Friday afternoon some 7 miles from the nearest road:

27860644327_6f3cbc0399_h.jpg

Morven seen though the window of Wag:

42729744701_3cb8a9da7f_h.jpg

Aultibea - a derelict farmhouse on the moors:

42679906862_1b7052fe72_h.jpg

• Like 7
6 hours ago, catfan said:

Stunning pictures Compo, lovely place BUT no 'Spoons !

Went to 'Spoons in Wick on the way home. Had a meal and a pint of IPA.

thumbsup

• Like 1
4 hours ago, loppylugs said:

That place don't need a 'battle cruiser' Mick.  Especially full of Chavs.  Nice and peaceful in Compo's neck of the woods.

That track is closed to the public but I dropped a couple of names and told the estate factor (Manager) that I had worked for SAC (A vet services disease surveillance company that the estate uses).  It got me access and a key to the main gate.  It really IS peaceful - saw not a soul all day.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I can’t remember being prompted by the “Mirror” headline into taking this “My Home” photo but after stirring the ‘little grey cells’  the sequence was remembered! First, extend the tripod-remove camera from  e r case-attach flash unit to camera (pre hot shoe!)- screw camera & flash to tripod-check view through eyelevel view finder- press button to open camera front extending bellows/lens mount-connect flash cable to synchro plug on lens mount then insert flash bulb into socket- set focus distance- set aperture- set shutter speed to 1/25th.-& ‘cock’ the shutter. The pneumatic ‘delayed action device’ was pulled out & locked, then screwed into the cable release socket giving about 10 seconds when released, for me to unstick daughter Sandra from my right leg, put her on the rug-sit myself down with the paper showing the headline “My Home” and wait for the flash to go off. “Easy”? obviously Sandra can’t sit still even 10 seconds when Dads playing with his toys!

myhome048.jpgscreen shot windows

• Like 8
  • 1 month later...

A few photos from Strath Brora taken yesterday on a walk to visit the remains of an Iron Age fort.  (Fort photos to follow):

Carol Rock:

43242313664_b9b985dc91_b.jpg

Footbridge over the Brora River at Doll:

30092456198_edcccb51f5_b.jpg

Summit Cairn on Meall Coire Aghaisgeig:

43912510592_38dd7ec5c6_b.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1