Photos to cheer us up

Rog, trap, wot trap???

Brew, I were just following Compo. Any road, ave yer never eard of Puffing Pilchards ? Brilliant on toast. :hungr:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a bit of a clearout at home & found a CD I had created in 2003 full of photo's that I had taken with my first digital camera, an Olympus E860, 1.3 MP ! Some of these photo's I had forgotte

Two years ago we were celebrating my husband's birthday here, on Harbour Island in the Bahamas. The week-long stay was arranged with his brother, sister and their spouses. Unbeknown to everyone, excep

We don't have up to date mobiles to take instant photo's with, so you can imagine the chances of finding the camera, setting it up, getting as close as possible to the patio window and getting this li

1 minute ago, Beekay said:

Any road, ave yer never eard of Puffing Pilchards ?

Nope, never ever thought of doing anything of the sort to a Pilchard and to be honest it sounds unhygienic to say the least and probably  illegal.   :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Puffin Pilchards......Jitney can   1/-...........circa 1960....Marsdens..........came in cases of 48,, very Popular....

• Like 2

Did you not know about the all England Pilchard Puffing team ? They have a base in posh end of East Angular.

• Like 1

Ah Puffin I've heard of Ben, Puffin   no

Any road up never mind all that nonsense how are you? you seem to have been a bit quiet of late..

2 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Did you not know about the all England Pilchard Puffing team ? They have a base in posh end of East Angular.

Really! that's quite interesting, I bet they play on a small pitch, having no legs an all ...

1 minute ago, Brew said:

Really! that's quite interesting, I bet they play on a small pitch, having no legs an all ...

They do commit quite a few fouls for a**eing around. Which could be a blow to the team .

Just now, Beekay said:

They do commit quite a few fouls for a**eing around. Which could be a blow to the team .

Why the rotten low down bums..

Just now, benjamin1945 said:

Yes,,fine thanks Brew,,,

I'm OK too Brew, thank you. ;)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Beekay said:

Hiya Nonna, !  Sounds to me like you live in an electrical store. All those appliances on the National grid. Does anybody own a generator to be used in an emergency. Mind you, you could always have your own wind farm. When I were a kid we had central heating, it was a candle in the middle of the room. If it were really cold we used to light it..!!  :yahoo:

We're not quite that ancient BK. We have running water when we empty the bottles.

3 hours ago, Brew said:

Wow that's really tiny. Do you have to boil a kettle in the dark? A villa we rent occasionally has a 25Amp trip which a I thought was small but at least we can make tea and watch TV at the same time.

Wheres the villa. You've made me think, Brew . Now I'm wondering if I'm wrong.Ive just checked the meter and it gives different loading for various hours. All I'm certain of is my large appliances can't be used at the same time  which is usually those that heat. Dish washer, oven, washer and iron.  Saturday is a day when I can use them a couple at a time. Its not the end of the world and it does make you think about having the meter tripped.It was difficult when we were first married . I carried on as if I was still in UK and thought what a stupid country etc etc. Then if by chance there is a fire we are a long way for a fire engine to come out. Don't know if that's the explanation or not but thats it.

Just checked online and UK has on average 21kw and Italy does have 3 kw., but who wants to have all the appliances going at one time. We like to have a rest.

58 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Italy does have 3 kw

You're right nonna the standard supply to an Italian home is a paltry 3kW (I just looked it up) and you must pay extra if you want to use up to 6kW. 

'Electricity costs will vary depending on the time of use and will cost more Monday to Friday, from 08:00-19:00. The cost is less at weekends'. It all sounds very complicated.

I'm guessing there are not too many electric showers over there and our double oven would be neither use nor ornament. How on earth do the restaurants manage?

Here (and I suspect most of us),  I have a supply that will allow me to run up to 23kW and newer homes are rated up to 18.

• Like 1

Normal over here is a 200 Amp service, we are charged one flat rate per Kwhr.

Our biggest load on the house is the well water pump start current.

After that, my 5HP 240 volt air compressor would be the next largest load.

I don't know the loading, but electric stoves draw a heavy load, as do water heaters and clothes driers, our clothes drier costs us nothing, Mother natures wind.

I've other high loads in the workshop, table saw, radial arm saw and a few other large wood working tools. The arc welder would be a high load.

3Kw wouldn't cut it with us, 200Amp service equates to 24Kw.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Brew said:

You're right nonna the standard supply to an Italian home is a paltry 3kW (I just looked it up) and you must pay extra if you want to use up to 6kW. 

Thanks for the extra info Brew. Restaurants have 3 phase I think. No electric showers here that I know of. I do my main wash on saturdays and the washer is usually on all day. Besides all the bed and bathroom linen, personal clothing  I also have to wash the dogs bedding twice a week so the washer is also on in the evenings as the dishwasher is. Electricity is very expensive here but if you need it, you use it. I can't see the point of skimping in this day and age. A lot of the older generation would rather put an overcoat around their shoulders than put the heating on. To give you an idea how some live I'll tell you about an ex neighbour   of ours. Mario is a bachelor who lives with his mum. He has quite a bit of land and works caring for hazelnuts and vines. Also making his own wine and moscato. A lovely chap who thought the world of us. His mum was a character , a wizened old lady with a cut sack for an apron. She had loads of beautiful plants and flowers outside all set in old food tins. Every morning she'd come out with a pot of water that she dipped her hand into and sprinkled it over her babies. The plants flourished. Me I tended to mine but they weren't half as beautiful as hers. Getting back to the story, one day we were going to Cuneo so we asked Mario if he wanted to come with us. He agreed and off we went. He was "gobsmacked" to see all these shops one after the other. He eventually bought a pair of shoes. We got back home and he asked if he could leave the shoes in the car until mamma was busy. We thought it strange but we agreed. Later he fetched them explaining that he had to smuggle them into the house so that his mother wouldn't see them.

I had recently decorated a room with wall paper and he showed me he 'd bought wall paper goodness knows how many years before . He hadn't used it because he didn't know how to, so I said I'd do it for him. Well ....I started putting this paper on the walls while his mother stood wide eyed watching me. First piece on and she thought it was sheer luxury, by the time I'd finished she thought she was living in a palace. I felt so happy that I'd given her a bit "luxury " because I don't think she'd ever left the house from the day she got married. She was left a widow very young.

Another funny thing too. We were traveling by car to Nottingham and were using the tunnel. Mario was really concerned for us as we explained how the tunnel worked. Now the questions he asked were , "doesn't the train get wet, can you see the fish through the windows. What happens when the tide goes in / out"  unbelievable the naivety but he's not stupid. He's spent his entire life working in a furniture factory and tending all his land. He's never had time to see the world or even villages and towns nearby but ask him about vines and hazelnuts and anything else that grows and you can't get him to stop. Another thing has come to mind, one day he brought me a big load of plums and he asked what I did with them. I told him I.'d make some jam and bottle the rest. He was intrigued. I offered to do these things for him but he was to help by washing them. " But  do you taste the soap" he asked. Anyway all was done and in "payment" he gave us bottles and bottles of Moscato and Barbera.

I've gone on a bit haven't I but this story is true to so many of the farmers around here, Mario is only a couple of years older than me (76)

Could tell a lot more about miserly antics but better close now before I get told off for domineering the site.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Normal over here is a 200 Amp service, we are charged one flat rate per Kwhr.

Our biggest load on the house is the well water pump start current.

After that, my 5HP 240 volt air compressor would be the next largest load.

I don't know the loading, but electric stoves draw a heavy load, as do water heaters and clothes driers, our clothes drier costs us nothing, Mother natures wind.

I've other high loads in the workshop, table saw, radial arm saw and a few other large wood working tools. The arc welder would be a high load.

3Kw wouldn't cut it with us, 200Amp service equates to 24Kw.

As we have no larger equipment than a washer or immersion heater it doesn't worry us. The larger outdoor items aren't used in continuation, like swimming pool filter ( 8 hrs per day) and well water pump. We don't need electric stoves in winter as we have the pellet stove which heats house and water, so it's only in the summer that we need the immersion heater and it's put on low because we need cool showers. My husband isn't into major workshop activities but give him a frying pan and a few ingredients and " viola! " we also have a cheap clothes drier although we don't get a lot of wind only sun, in winter a clothes horse is enough to get the washing dry.

• Like 1

Our cook stove is propane, and heating is a woodstove.

On your story of Mario, when I migrated to Australia in 1979, I worked at a tin mine, biggest one in the southern hemisphere, I lived in a very small town a few miles south of the mine. This was "Bush" miles from any large towns!!

I was in one of the pubs one evening, and this old feller at side of me said "are you a pommie" I said yes, he then said "You've come all the way from England to here" he was dumbstruck, and kept repeating it.

A mate of mine put me in the picture, the elderly feller and his Brother worked a local farm, and he'd been no further than 15 miles out of town all his life, so just couldn't grasp the "jet set" lifestyle.

Although I still live in a very rural area, my friends have worked and lived in different areas of the states, some have roots that go back to the first local settlers 200 years back, yes, the only people who lived around here back then were nomadic Native Americans. This area was settled around 1820 onwards.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1