There was an Anderson shelter in my Grandparents(mother's side)garden in Middleton Street Radford it was "filled in" some time in the mid 1950s

My Grandparent's house was right next to Raleigh.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think I know the place you mean, and it's not far so I had a poke around; its hard to say what is there. The area has been heavily 'modified' for flood prevention, so its difficult to tell what mig

Not really................she gave me the 'Brush Off'..................I couldn't begin to explain how painful that was................

Just remembered another, bet it's still there! this was underground on the land that far as I know (was in the 1990's) is used as "Showmans Winter Quarters" where the goose fair people and others parked up on Western Boulevard on the right just before the bridge over railwayat Basford, think it had stairs at both ends, you could get into it but full of soil etc, recall it had quarry tile floor, quite big, in same yard were 2 or 3 surface brick ones used as store rooms by Madonna Press printers, these are still there, can be seen (with tyres on the roof) here http://maps.google.c...dom&t=h&z=18

zoom in! the underground one is to the left in trees between first house and entrance to the yard

i remember that one too, ash.

another of my teenage haunts, if we were over there and it started raining we used it for shelter. i seem to remember there were stairs at one end but a ladder at the other that went up to a hatch.

Station Road Girls School had air raid shelters , sadly they are now gone and the schoool is now a buiness centre

Think most schools had some sort of shelters? above ground built for the war, and I think a lot of firms converted basements for staff, other firms basements cellars etc were converted for public use (not many mentioned here) but I guess unless of an age to remember them personally, or having worked at these firms in later years, or known for some disaster they have faded away?

Mentioned before somewhere on Nottstalgia The Gun Factory had (at least) 2 long above ground shelters, a lone raider, fighter//bomber? dropped a small? bomb which landed between the 2 of them after machine gunning factory roof, my dad was in one of the shelters, both were splattered with mud etc, nothing else, no idea of year but early in war before he was moved to Newport Wales (where I have a half sister! but that's a different story,lol)

timbirkin, across the road from 2/4 Holme Road in West Bridgeford in the 50s was a large concrete bunker. Mostly buried and earth banked around the sides almost to the roof level. Used to play on the roof but could not get inside as it was blocked off.

Google aerial view shows some landscaping around the site but unable to say whether it had been demolished/removed from the pictures. Google street view gives the impression something may still be under there. Wish I was there so I could dig around!!!

I recall a few Air Raid / Anderson? shelters being dotted around the back gardens of a few of the houses on the Aspley Estate when I was a girl. I was quite envious of these houses, that had the advantage of what resembled a small bungalow in their back gardens! :)

I also recall that a few houses displayed a brass plaque at their front which read: 'Stirrup Pump'. In my innocence I thought this was the name of the house, until one day mentioning the plaques to my mum, she explained what they were for:

'Stirrup Pump': a small, portable pump with a stirrup-shaped foot rest, used for extinguishing small fires.

timbirkin, across the road from 2/4 Holme Road in West Bridgeford in the 50s was a large concrete bunker. Mostly buried and earth banked around the sides almost to the roof level. Used to play on the roof but could not get inside as it was blocked off.

Google aerial view shows some landscaping around the site but unable to say whether it had been demolished/removed from the pictures. Google street view gives the impression something may still be under there. Wish I was there so I could dig around!!!

I think I know the place you mean, and it's not far so I had a poke around; its hard to say what is there. The area has been heavily 'modified' for flood prevention, so its difficult to tell what might be left-over shelters and what is flood embankment.

One clue which you won't see on Google is on the top of the mound, where you find this

pipetop.jpg

A conventional man-hole grate, and next to it some kind of pipe/valve (see the close up).

Looking round the side and back (which you can't see from the road) if anything is/was there it's now heavily overgrown with bushes and trees

sides.jpg

• Upvote 1

This construction is in the field next to the junction of Mapperley Plain and Nottingham Road which leads down into Woodborough. I've never been exactly sure what it is/was.

woodborough.png

There is one of those 'pill boxes' Concrete not brick, in the field by Balloon Woods traffic lights, Used to be one up chilwell that we used to play in as kids.

407362_10150557939608641_770388640_8873267_1727914895_n.jpg

was, maybe still there, a pillbox on right hand side Mansfleld Rd just before Ravenshead, was sort of in a ditch up against an embankment, like the one at Mapperley/Bank Hill I wonder where the assume Home Guard who manned it came from, miles from anywhere.

Not pill boxes or air raid shelters but at "north end" of Mablethorpe beach in 1950's there were 2 or 3 large concrete block houses that no doubt held heavy guns pointing out to sea, by that time though leaning at crazy angles as sinking into the sand

Thats in Carlton, sorry forgot to mention where it was

Kat, Do you mean in the grounds of what was the brewery on Marhill Road?

I cant place this Girls School?

was, maybe still there, a pillbox on right hand side Mansfleld Rd just before Ravenshead, was sort of in a ditch up against an embankment, like the one at Mapperley/Bank Hill I wonder where the assume Home Guard who manned it came from, miles from anywhere.

Not pill boxes or air raid shelters but at "north end" of Mablethorpe beach in 1950's there were 2 or 3 large concrete block houses that no doubt held heavy guns pointing out to sea, by that time though leaning at crazy angles as sinking into the sand

Ashley, remember the old sea fort off the coast up that way back in the 50s. Used to stay in the big caravan park north of Mablethorpe and walk direct across the dunes to the beach. Could see the fort out to sea from that point? Incidentally, trust your wife has got over that illness that you told us about?

No sorry I don't recall seeing any sea fort, are you talking of Golden Sands and /or North End Caravan site where at the latter the road did a sharp left hand in land and there was a bus terminus? This would have been 1954 onwards, do remember seeing and once walking to (miles up the beach) an old "bombing target" past Donna Nook, was a big rusting girder affair that to my 8 yr old eyes reminded me of a giant big merry go round shape, and I mean big! guess that could have been something else in war years but not out to sea, at least not at low tide.

Re the wife, thanks for asking, getting better slowly but hopefully surely,

MICK CARLTON GIRLS SCHOOL WAS STRAIGHT OPPOSIT THE FIRE STATION , I REMEMBER THEM AIR RAID SHELTERS TOO KAT WHEN WE WERE THERE ALWAYS LOADS OF OLD DESKS CHAIRS ECT IN THEM WE WERNT SURPOSED TO GO IN THEM BUT WE ALL DID ESSPECIALY THE GIRLS WHO SMOKED WOULD SNEEK IN THERE FOR A CRAFTY FAG OR ON COLD DAYS IT WAS WARMER THAN OUT SIDE SHEDS SO YOU WOULD ALWAYS GET A LOT OF GIRLS IN THEM THEN BUT YOU HAD TO BE QUIET AS THEY WERE NEAR HEAD MISSTRESES OFFICE.THERE WAS A FEILD WE USED FOR SPORT ON TOP OFF THEM SO FROM ABOVE IT WOULD NOT LOOK AS THOUGH THEY WERE THERE. YOU GOT ONTO THE FIELD VIA ABOUT 8 OR 10 STEPS AT ONE END WAS TWO PREFAB CLASS ROOMS ONE WAS THE ART CLASS AND ONE A COOKERY CLASS,THESE I THINK WERE CONSTRUCTED AFTERTHE WAR WHEN PUPIL NUMBERS WENT UPTHERE WERE TWO OTHER COOKERY ROOMS ON THE FIRE STATION SIDE OF THE BUILDING.

ASH SORRY TO HERE IZZY HAS BEEN ILL BUT GLAD TO HERE SHE IS ON THE MEND GIVE HER OUR LOVE AND HOPE SHE IS BETTER SOON BABS

There used to be what I think was a fort in the Humber Estuary off Cleethorpes - could that be the one?

There used to be what I think was a fort in the Humber Estuary off Cleethorpes - could that be the one?

i was up there a couple of years ago, visiting the sealife centre called "the deep" its about six stories high, at the top you can clearly a pair of forts that guarded the entrance to the humber, one each side.

they reminded me of something from the war of the worlds as the description "massive metal things on legs" is exactly what they look like!

The deep is a great place to visit. Been there once but would like to revisit when next in the area.

I went out with a Cleethorpes Crab Cleaner once........................it's not a joke, just a reminiscence

Paulus: Did she use a magnifying glass and small comb?

isitsafe