If anyone has photos of their interests/hobbies it would be nice to see them.

One of my interests is travel and as a 'starter-for-ten' may I offer this photo of a lovely Ari girl. We were visiting their village in the Omo valley, South Ethiopia and watching the blacksmith work in his 'Iron Age' workshop when I heard a humming from behind me. I turned and this girl was smiling from ear to ear. She followed us around the village smiling all the way. I took this photo and when I got home I sent a copy to her family via a guide in Addis Ababa. They were overjoyed that a tourist had taken the trouble to do this because photos are not something they normally have easy access to.

Ari7.JPG?gl=GB

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This on reminds me of one of the large pictures that was on the wall of the Balti House (Curry & Grill) Heathcote Street.

A few local photos now: Starting with Noss Head near Wick and just south of John O'Groats. One of the many inlets near Sinclair Castle: Ditto A quiet cove

Local Wildlife in Southern Patagonia: Guanacos grazing: Silver Fox: Condor: Waiters on strike: The union rep: Rhea: Sooty Browed Albatross in flight: Tomorrow: In a volcanic fiel

The Ari village potter doesn't need a wheel to get a perfectly circular plate:

Ari4.JPG?gl=GB

Below: The potter's daughter and her attempt to make a 'Jabena' (Coffee pot).

Ari5.JPG?gl=GB

Below: It should have looked like this:

IMG_3543.JPG?gl=GB

• Upvote 1

A few more pictures fro my last Ethipopian trip - the Omo Valley:

200.JPG

Above: A Bena boy

Below: Coming of age in Hamer country. This young man is about to perform the Bull Jumping ceremony; if successful he will graduate to adulthood, go on a walkabout for several months, foraging for his food and then return to take a wife (or three).

Copy%2520of%2520Hamer10.JPG

Below: A Dik-Dik, the world's smallest antelope. No bigger than a hare, this tiny animal is rarely seen out of bush cover.

Dik-dik2.JPG

Below: As a prelude to the bull jumping, the young unattached girls are whipped by the men at a whipping ceremony. They are considered more attractive the more scars they have from the whips. This particular girl was stopped by a matriarch before she took a life-threatening beating. It's hard to believe that they keep coming back for more ....but they do!

Hamer6%2520-%2520Copy.JPG

Below: Coming of age in Hamer country. This young man is about to perform the Bull Jumping ceremony; if successful he will graduate to adulthood, go on a walkabout for several months, foraging for his food and then return to take a wife (or three).

Compo, what happens if he fails to jump the bull? Singing soprano and enforced celibacy for the rest of his life?

Compo

Thanks for including these.

How do the react to people from our part of the world?

Do they speak any english

When was your visit?

Jackson (Ms): There's loads more from a number of countries; can share them if you like. Perhaps just a few at a time?

Mick2me: I lived in Ethiopia between 1984-86. At that time there was a civil war raging in the north and central parts of the country; it was impossible to travel to the Omo for two reasons:

1. It was a dumping ground for the Government forces' prisoner's of war. Govt. troops took them to the Omo area and threw them off the lorry to make their own way back 1,000Kms to their villages in the north. The northern tribesmen were farmers and knew nothing of foraging for food. Needlesss to say, with starvation and the hostile local tribes, few survived the ordeal.

2. Touched upon in the local tribes were also at war with each other and would stand no interference from either other regional Ethiopian tribes or Farenj (foreigners) so a trip was out of the question.

My last trip was for my 60th birthday in November 2010. We enjoyed a relaxed safari for two in a 4x4 with driver and guide. Saw wildlife, tribes, mountains and some rare species, notably the Simien Wolf on the most threatened species list. Southern Ethiopia is real darkest Africa - alas, it is changing fast as the Chinese build their mineral roads into the Southern tribal areas. The local tribes have quickly cottoned on to tourist cash and will do many things for money that they can use to purchase luxuries such as western style tee shirts, guns and ammunition. I love this place and want to go back again before I snuff it :o)

Favourite film................dances with wolves...............although the coreography wasn't up to much....... kickme

Compo, if you find time I would appreciate a photograph of 'the Simien Wolf' if you have; I have utmost respect for the wolf, am fascinated by this creature.

:)

Compo, if you find time I would appreciate a photograph of 'the Simien Wolf' if you have; I have utmost respect for the wolf, am fascinated by this creature.

:)

Jackson (Ms): I will post some more pictures but you must remember that I only have a snapshot camera and the quality will not be up to the standard of Beefy, Mudgie, et al :o)

Compo, what happens if he fails to jump the bull? Singing soprano and enforced celibacy for the rest of his life?

He gets another shot at it. These fellows practice for ages before the ceremony so I don't suppose they ever fail. [Double quoting not my doing!]

Thanks Compo, it was just that your post (#9) conjured thoughts of a naked man leapfrogging a bull and failing to clear the sharp horns! On the horns of a dilemma perhaps?

A few more from Ethiopia 2010:

Termites.....

310.JPG?gl=GB

Simien Wolf on the Sanetti Plateau 14,000ft altitude.

Simien%2520wolf%2520at%25204%252C000m.JPG?gl=GB

Another but a bt closer (Sorry no proper lens):

Simienn%2520wolf.JPG?gl=GB

Zebra walking right past us - we were on foot at the time.

Zebra3.JPG?gl=GB

Big boy:

Big%2520boy.JPG?gl=GB

Fish Eagles on Lake chamo:

Fish%2520eagles%2520%25282%2529.JPG?gl=GB

Weaver Bird nests:

Weaver%2520bird%2520nests.JPG?gl=GB

A herd of wild donkeys:

Wild%2520donkeys.JPG?gl=GB

Baby Zebra:

Baby.JPG?gl=GB

Marabou Stork:

383.JPG?gl=GB

A large Nyala antelope in the Bale mountains:

429.JPG?gl=GB

Almost "The African Queen":

Almost%2520there.JPG?gl=GB

Hamer mother:

Hamer9.JPG?gl=GB

Rupells Superb Starling:

Starling.JPG?gl=GB

Tilapia is now available at supermarket fish stalls. This is Tilapia cooked to perfection in the area where it lives:

Tilapia%2520fish.JPG?gl=GB

Stork feeding:

hungry.JPG?gl=GB

Hamer boy:

Hamer5%2520-%2520Copy.JPG?gl=GB

Camels and a couple of Oromo people in the bush:

347.JPG?gl=GB

Hammerkop bird:

Hammerkop%2520bird.JPG?gl=GB

Sacred Ibis:

Sacred%2520Ibis%2520%25282%2529.JPG?gl=GB

Breakfast in Dinsho. Dinsho is the only village for many miles in this part of the Bale Mountain range. There is an ecolodge just up the road that caters for backpackers. Basic accommodation with only a fire for cooking on - bring your own food. It is quite chilly this high in the mountains (c11,000ft) and even colder at the plateau above (c14,000ft), where ice forms on the water most evenings.

Breakfast%2520in%2520Dinsho.JPG?gl=GB

Finally for today, a flock of Vultures feeding on the carcases of two cattle thrown from a truck as it plunged down off the road killing the driver too. The truck is just out of shot as a point of respect - he was still in his cab. Two men armed with AK47 rifles were sitting vigil guarding him from the vultures whilst awaiting the police to arrive from the town some 50Kms away.

Vultures.JPG?gl=GB

I thought these had been moved over from another thread but I was mistaken. This of course means that I lied about that being all for today in the previous post:

Stilt boys In the Omo Valley:

Bena6.JPG?gl=GB

Mursi women. these must be the most SCARY women in the world - including NORA BATTY!

Mursi1.JPG?gl=GB

Mursi Village:

Mursi3.JPG?gl=GB

Mursi teenage boys:

Mursi7.JPG?gl=GB

Roadside fruit sellers:

Roadside%2520fruit%2520sales.JPG?gl=GB

This little Oromo boy followed me around for ages (with his will defying his trousers):

Small%2520boy.JPG?gl=GB

Have I taken over this thread?! Are there no others with pictures and anecdotes about their interests and hobbies?

hellothere

I think we've all been too engrossed by your great photos to think about putting any of ours on. The photo of the Mursi women (more scary than Nora Batty) reminded me of my kids when they couldn't get what they wanted...lol