That Wolf is marked exactly like one of our dogs.

She is a dog we took in as a pup.

She was a strange dog who would yodel but not bark at first?

Living with a Jack Russell she soon picked it up.

About a year later we were in the Isle of Wight on holiday when a couple stopped

us and told us they used to have one, and wished the could find another?

We were amazed to find she is a Basenji (Pharoah hound) which originates from Africa.

In that wolf I can now see the origin of our 'San(di)' thanks

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This on reminds me of one of the large pictures that was on the wall of the Balti House (Curry & Grill) Heathcote Street.

A few local photos now: Starting with Noss Head near Wick and just south of John O'Groats. One of the many inlets near Sinclair Castle: Ditto A quiet cove

Local Wildlife in Southern Patagonia: Guanacos grazing: Silver Fox: Condor: Waiters on strike: The union rep: Rhea: Sooty Browed Albatross in flight: Tomorrow: In a volcanic fiel

Compo, fantastic photos and experiences.

I meant for you to have a thread specifically for your Africa images.

What about other countries though? Can I put photos on here from Argentina, Falklands, Chile, India, Sri Lanka and Portugal? Sorry but many of my other photos were lost to my divorce along with the house and bank deposits.

thumbsdown

The Simien wolf was once common throughout both sub-Sahara and Saharan Africa. It has declined to the point of extinction and a s far as I am aware the Bale Mountain packs are the final population. Love to see a picture of your wolf-dog.

Go for it Compo. Looking forward to your photos from the other countries as I am sure many others are. hellothere

That sounds a bit final Ms Jackson. I hope you are not going to desert me when I put more boring stuff in the thread <g>

Trevor: I will have to do some scanning but I will post more stuff soon.

Bishoftu crater lake. A dormant volcano in the Great Rift Valley:

Bishoftu%2520volcanic%2520crater%2520lake.JPG?gl=GB

Jinka main Street. Jinka is the largest town in the South West of Ethiopia:

Jinka%2520high%2520street.JPG?gl=GB

Wattled Crane? Beefsteak - am I correct?

Wattled%2520crane.JPG?gl=GB

A lion footprint in the Harena Forest: Scary because I was on a track through vine covered forest when I spotted it - and it was fresh:

455.JPG?gl=GB

Giant Lobelia at 14,000ft altitude, <4°North of the equator:

468.JPG?gl=GB

Making coffee, Ethiopian style. The girl is pounding the beans to fill the Jabena (the dark pottery object with handle on the table) for coffee. The beans were roasted on the charcoal fire (The kettle is sitting on it):

473.JPG?gl=GB

Fishing boat on Lake Chamo:

Fishin%2520boat%2520%2526%2520catch.JPG?gl=GB

Another Hamer teenager who has been through the whipping ceremony:

Hamer8%2520-%2520Copy.JPG?gl=GB

A boiling volcanic spring. The local tribe do all their washing and cooking in this flowing spring. The water is literally boiling when it leaves the ground:

Hot%2520springs2.JPG?gl=GB

Saw the lion's footprint here!

Harenna%2520forest3.JPG?gl=GB

Bale mountains:

Harenna%2520forest2.JPG?gl=GB

Boiling springs again. The boiling stream runs in to Lake Abiyata, a soda lake whose beaches abound with pumice bouilders. One can pick up a boulder the size of a football and throw it miles and miles into the water.....and it FLOATS!

Hot%2520springs3.JPG?gl=GB

Acacia woodland:

Off%2520road.JPG?gl=GB

Belicans on Lake Awassa:

Pelicans%2520at%2520fishmarket.JPG?gl=GB

I think that's more than enough Ethiopia so I'll close this chapter with a snapshot of an Australopithecus girl. 3.3 million years old fossils were found in Ethiopia and this is the reconstruction based on those fossils. The script on the left had side of the interpretation panel is Amharic. There are 136 characters in the Amharic alphabet!

Selam.JPG?gl=GB

Thanks for watching - See you in Sri Lanka!

• Upvote 1

Belicans or pelicans? "What a wonderful bird is the pelican. His beak can hold more than his belly can. He can hold in his beak enough for a week, but I don't know how the hell 'e can." (Quote from me dad).

Belican Stephen - deliberate reference to the same rhyme

thumbsup

I was always amazed at the Pelicans when I lived in Wollongong, many years back, driving south over the Windang Bridge, you would see Pelicans perched on the light poles on the bridge, they seem to be there for hours watching the cars go by under them.

Those and the cormorants could also be seen in Wollongong Harbour.

And anyone who has ever been to the Sydney Opera house and stopped by and had a lunch at the cafeteria, sat outside will testify the Sea Gulls would land on your table and steal your chips!!

I used to have a tame Dominican Gull in Port Stanley. It would wait for me to come home from work and beg for lamb bones, which it would take from my hand and swallow whole, somehow!

Where do you live now Ayupmiducks?

I live in south central Missouri way out in the country.

I have to get the humming bird feeder set up, then I'll take some pictures of those. They have no fear, I've been having a pee, and they come to have a look withing grabbing distance!! Mind you, they can move fast and have fast reactions too.

I experienced their speed in the Asa Wright Forest in Trinidad - you're dead right, they move like lightning!

I have some photos of them outside our house when we lived in California, I'll post a couple tomorrow. If their feeder was empty, they would come to the kitchen window and tap on the glass!!! Very intelligent birds.

It's off to Sri Lanka for the next chapter. I have chosen this destination because I already have photos on teh pooter and no need to do a lot of scanning first. Sri Lanka sits at the bottom of the Indian sub-continent and is often referred to as the Jewel of the Indian Ocean.

Of Elephants and Temples:

Riding an elephant is a weird experience. As the shoulders of the beast go up and down as it walks, the riders have to move with them:

024.JPG?gl=GB

A bonus is that you get to wash the elephant after the ride:

048.JPG?gl=GB

However, if the elephant wants a snack you're stuck with it!

022.JPG?gl=GB

The Magnificent Sigiriya Rock Fortress. On top of this mountain was a complete palace. Now only ruins but just look at the work that must have gone into building it in the next few pictures:

097.JPG?gl=GB

View from the side of the mount:

104.JPG?gl=GB

Cave paintings:

102.JPG?gl=GB

The final ascent to the palace is via a huge stone staircase and then narrow iron steps:

108.JPG?gl=GB

The palace:

114.JPG?gl=GB

It's almost the Macchu Pichu of the East:

122.JPG?gl=GB

Further instalments soon.......

The golden Buddha at Dambula temple:

089.JPG?gl=GB

Carved from solid stone:

075.JPG?gl=GB

More carvings:

079.JPG?gl=GB

Monkey stealing the temple Lotus flower offerings:

092.JPG?gl=GB

This cheeky monkey decided to demonstrate the art of peeing on a photographer!

069.JPG?gl=GB

And finally for this little group of pics; a comical sign spotted in a park:

100.JPG?gl=GB

Cant say you never did anything with your life Compo

Very nice record of it too wish i thought about taking a camera along on my adventures nothing like your's though

A few Sri Lankan herbs and spices:

Pepper:

127.JPG?gl=GB

Cocoa:

128.JPG?gl=GB

Vanilla:

129.JPG?gl=GB

Coffee:

130.JPG?gl=GB

Jackfruit:

132.JPG?gl=GB

Coconuts drying in the sun: