Nah then ...let's ae a look at some Turtles and other wild things:

Now you can see why I want a better camera. Leopard in a tree:

259.JPG?gl=GB

Can you see it in this one?

255.JPG?gl=GB

Rat snake has caught a large lizard. The lizard then shed its tail but the snake wasn't fooled for long. It chased and caught the lizard again:

278.JPG?gl=GB

Hermit the carab:

269.JPG?gl=GB

Gecko:

144.JPG?gl=GB

Turtle (I forget what kind):

311.JPG?gl=GB

Monitor lizard:

247.JPG?gl=GB

Peacock displaying. He was jumping up and down too:

244.JPG?gl=GB

Croc on a rock:

243.JPG?gl=GB

This crow fed out of my hand after only two days:

290.JPG?gl=GB

One more session for this place to follow....

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This on reminds me of one of the large pictures that was on the wall of the Balti House (Curry & Grill) Heathcote Street.

A few local photos now: Starting with Noss Head near Wick and just south of John O'Groats. One of the many inlets near Sinclair Castle: Ditto A quiet cove

Local Wildlife in Southern Patagonia: Guanacos grazing: Silver Fox: Condor: Waiters on strike: The union rep: Rhea: Sooty Browed Albatross in flight: Tomorrow: In a volcanic fiel

Last batch before posting trainspotting photos:

Julie choosing her 60th borthday present at a family owned jewel mine/cutters/shop:

147.JPG?gl=GB

In the jeweller's workshop

149.JPG?gl=GB

The jewel cutter's art:

150.JPG?gl=GB

In the mangrove swamp at Unawatuna:

281.JPG?gl=GB

Pineapple:

319.JPG?gl=GB

Visit to a plantation primary school. We had a small donation for a school and this was the school we selected to receive it. We had hired a driver for a day and his children went to this school; the head master selected the class for us. The kids all stood up when we entered the room and chanted "Good morning sir, Good morning miss" in unison. They were perfectly behaved children and a credit to their school and parents:

321.JPG?gl=GB

Tropical rain at a tea plantation bungalow. (The 'bungalow' is the owner's house):

322.JPG?gl=GB

Guest house in the mountains at Ella. Run by an Australian couple, one is expected to dine with the family. Great place, great cook:

225.JPG?gl=GB

Around the valley:

219.JPG?gl=GB

Tangalle:

276.JPG?gl=GB

BUGG*R! I had to delete the picture because I got the error message "You have posted more pictures then you are allowed" and I forgot to remove the text.

Crab hole in the Mangrove swamp at Unawatuna (for Mick2me) Mr Crab was in bed asleep:

282.JPG?gl=GB

Now a few for the trainspotting fraternity NOT. M ost of the following were taken from inside the 1st Class observation car:

Tea plantation workers leaving the train for the daily grind:

204.JPG?gl=GB

A tea estate:

199.JPG?gl=GB

Steam technology still in situ at many stations:

196.JPG?gl=GB

Oops!

193.JPG?gl=GB

A wayside station in the mountains:

178.JPG?gl=GB

The ubiquitous tuk-tuk:

172.JPG?gl=GB

Inside the observation car. The small girl in the centre was soon to end up with concussion:

170.JPG?gl=GB

No. It was a classic case of "Do not lean out of the window". There was a doctor on the train who cared for her throughout the remainder of the journey (4hrs) to the nearest town with a hospital. She was a nice girl but egged on by other kids, shouting and cheering when we entered one of the 40 or so tunnels on the line; she leaned out and came back in with a thump. All the children went silent after that. The girl was extremely fortunate not to fracture her skull - it must have been a glancing blow. Her face swelled and bruised all the way down one side. She was conscious when we got off at Ella, but was bleary eyed and dazed with concussion - they still had half an hour to travel to the hospital town.

Compo, I've taken a look at all of your photos and enjoyed every one. :)

But my favourites are:

1) the crow - a super intelligent bird

2) Tangalle - at the edge of land and sea, away from the big, wide world, yet a chance to look back . . .

:)

There are still some from Argentina, Chile, Trinidad and India, plus of course, Scotland. I'll have to root them out and scan most of them but some are slides. My slide copier doesn't give very good results but at least you will get the gist of places. I'm afraid all of my travels pre 1988 were lost to my divorce - along with practically everything else!

Especially for Ms Jackson. Tangalle beaches:

265.JPG?gl=GB

267.JPG?gl=GB

276.JPG?gl=GB

275.JPG?gl=GB

280.JPG?gl=GB

And finally, watching a turtle feedinig on the "Turtle grass in front of a beach restaurant at Unawatuna. You'll have to look closely to see the turtle because the picture was taken with a snapshot camera:

324.JPG?gl=GB

• Upvote 1

SWMBO waiting for the train to Ella, it was on-time:

155.JPG?gl=GB

With apologies for teh poor quality of this photo:

161.JPG?gl=GB

Peradenya Junction, Kandy, Central Sri Lanka:

164.JPG?gl=GB

I think that's enough Sri Lanka. Next time Somewhere in South America........

Chile:

Flying from UK to Chile one crosses the High Andes mountain range:

scan0053.jpg?gl=GB

Santiago lies just beyond the Andes and this picture shows a meltwater drain for the snow off the Andes in the background. Oddly, you can see snow on the mountains but in the city it is always baking hot. This meltwater is used for the city supply and also the vineyards in the valleys.

scan0002.jpg?gl=GB

Santiago has many fine buildings:

scan0003.jpg?gl=GB

And manikins are popular:

scan0005.jpg?gl=GBscan0010.jpg?gl=GB

Viña Del Mar is a popular seaside town:

scan0011.jpg?gl=GB

The Moai statue was brought to Viña from Easter Island:

scan0006.jpg?gl=GB

• Upvote 1

This on reminds me of one of the large pictures that was on the wall of the Balti House (Curry & Grill) Heathcote Street.

276.JPG?gl=GB

• Upvote 2

At the southern tip of South America lies The Magellan Straits and the regional capital, Punta Arenas; at a population of 110,000 it is the most southerly city in the world. It is not possible to drive north from Punta and if you want to go anywhere north of nearby Puerta Natales you have to cross the border into Argentina and use the dirt tracks north, re-crossing the Andes several hundred miles to the north.

Today's starter is a view of Punta Arenas and the Magellan Straits taken from the ski-slopes to the north of the city:

scan0014.jpg?gl=GB

Punta has a frontier atmoshphere:

scan0015.jpg?gl=GB

However, there are better quality homes too:

scan0016.jpg?gl=GB

If they want to use some English it might help if they learnt to spell :biggrin:

scan0017.jpg?gl=GB

Traditional dancing in Punta Arenas:

scan0018.jpg?gl=GB

Poor dead teddy bear on the beach:

scan0019.jpg?gl=GB

Local Wildlife in Southern Patagonia:

Guanacos grazing:

scan0035.jpg?gl=GB

Silver Fox:

scan0034.jpg?gl=GB

Condor:

scan0033.jpg?gl=GB

Waiters on strike:

scan0038.jpg?gl=GB

The union rep:

scan0039.jpg?gl=GB

Rhea:

scan0042.jpg?gl=GB

Sooty Browed Albatross in flight:

scan0036.jpg?gl=GB

Tomorrow: In a volcanic field and possibly some glaciers..........

• Upvote 1

Chile is a land of contrasts. From the driest place on earth - the Atacama desert in the north, to the south pole, it measures over 3,000 miles in length but is never more than a few tens of miles wide. The Andes mountain range runs the length of the land mass and is an active volcano zone. Today we look at some of the more dramatic landscapes of the south:

Looking down into the mouth of the Pali-aike (Pally-eye-key) volcano:

scan0047.jpg?gl=GB

Looking through a volcano lava tube:

scan0045.jpg?gl=GB

A lava field; solidified vitreous lava:

scan0046.jpg?gl=GB

Ladies slipper orchids growing on the edge of the lava field:

scan0043.jpg?gl=GB

Milodon (the larger of the two creatures); the remains of this creature were found in the adjacent cave:

scan0032.jpg?gl=GB

Perito Moreno glacier - the world's only inland glacier that is still expanding:

scan0030.jpg?gl=GB

At around 150ft high the face of the glacier dominates the lago:

scan0026.jpg?gl=GB

A chunk of ice the size of a house calving from the glacier:

scan0027.jpg?gl=GB

Mountain glacier above Lago Grey:

scan0025.jpg?gl=GB

Compo & SWMBO at Lago Grey:

scan0024.jpg?gl=GB

• Upvote 1

Boat on Lago Grey:

scan0023.jpg?gl=GB

Torres Del Paine (Pie-nee):

scan0022.jpg?gl=GB

Glacier Serrano:

scan0021.jpg?gl=GB

Abandoned ships on the Magellan Straits:

scan0041.jpg?gl=GB

Streets in Valparaiso, central coast of Chile, and major port, are steep and narrow. Note the ship's figurehead on a house:

scan0051.jpg?gl=GB

There were many sealions in the harbour but military presence forbade photos. Instead I took a general view of the city. Note the near-vertical Ascensor (Cable car lift) to the right of centre. There are many of these in Valparaiso:

scan0049.jpg?gl=GB

They still have trolley buses too:

scan0050.jpg?gl=GB

The Pacific Ocean in Viña Del Mar, near Valparaiso:

scan0052.jpg?gl=GB#

Back in Santiago, the underground train driver waved a cheerful farewell on my last day in Chile:

scan0054.jpg?gl=GB

• Upvote 1

you sure done some fantastic traveling compo but the though of snakes would put me of a lot of them .

Snakes are not a problem. They avoid human contact wherever possible. I came close to adders on a couple of occasions in the Scottish mountains though. Once when I was scaling a small overhanging cliff I pulled myself up and came face to face with an adder just inches from my nose. I rather hastily lowered myself back to the ledge below and selected another route up! The second occasion I was about to sit on a rock when Julie said "STOP! look behind you before you sit down". I looked and there was an adder lying on the rock, sunbathing!

My other close encounter was in India. We were staying in a chalet on stilts in a floodplain. I was feeling exuberant one evening and I jumped down the steps in two bounds. As I hit the ground a Cobra reared up right in front of me with its hood open. I froze but fortunately for me the snake turned about and slithered away. It has to be said that it was entirely my fault and I couldn't complain if I had been bitten - I had been warned about the presence of Cobras in the area.