Aviation day out, (AKA Ian and Rog terrorise Lincolnshire!)

Had a brilliant day out to Lincolnshire on Wednesday with Rog (Plantfit) the weather didn't look too promising to start with, but as we climed "The Mound" at Coningsby the sun came out to play , along with a load of Typhoons, including the brand new 100th anniversary of RAF Larkhall paint scheme on it's first flight.

Off over to RAF Waddindton veiwing area for the end of their "Fun Day" just in time to catch all the secret squirrel stuff (Sentinel, E-3 Sentry, Shadow, Aurora, etc,) and we got a fantastic double fly through of a Tornado.

Only downside on the day was the "Bluebell" wasn't doing food as the chef was off ill. We went to the chippy in Coningsby instead and had a good laugh with the girls in there

As usual , great aviation, great day, great company, great banter

Thanks Rog

Secret Squirrel Shadow

6999392366_3829c9494a_b.jpg

7145478307_dfdc24713b_b.jpg

6999390640_06ccfe86cb_b.jpg

6999389380_3709b3d718_b.jpg

7145468055_7568938812_b.jpg

A load more here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beefsteak44/sets/72157629608166540/

• Upvote 3

Here's one for the plane spotters: The other day a four engined plane (Propellers) did circuits and bumps over Wick airfield. It had a long slender tail extension reminiscent of the Nimrod. What type of aircraft might it have been? Lockheed P3 Orion may be a candidate but are there any serving in UK?

It would be the RCAF 'Aurora' . She is the latest edition of the Orion. There is a picture of her in my set at the bottom of the first post, but to save you waiting , it's here.

7145463155_6f1c2041bc_b.jpg

Unfortunately it was from some distance through a gap in the fence , as she was parked up "Away from the madding crowd" so to speak.

that looks like the one Beefsteak.

Now for another question:

is there a group of three WWII single engines aircraft doing a circuit of the country this bank holiday weekend? Three just passed overhead; two silver and one green. The green one had a big red sun on the side. Japanese WWII fighter perhaps?

Sounds like they are Harvard's, WW11 training aircraft, the one that looks like a Japanese fighter is a Harvard painted to look similar to a Mitsubishi Zero and I believe it belongs to Gary Newman (pop artist) of "our friends electric and Cars fame" to name a few, I have a photo of one of the green ones I'll find it out and post it in a bit

Rog

Here you are Compo

Harvard.jpg

Harvard as promised, these were used as trainers because the cockpit layout is similar to the Spitfire and Hurricane

Rog

• Upvote 1

I forgot to mention I entered a photography contest whilst there and won my category (Helecopters) and also first place overall.

My prize is a guided tour for two around RAF Scampton, home of the Red Arrows.

Can't wait !

My entry:-

The Royal Navy Black Cats Team

7003170458_8095a8355b_b.jpg

That looks like him Plantfit. The middle one of the formation was green with a red sun in the same positions as the star in your photo. They were flying in a line abreast at about 200ft. They came from the direction of Wick Airport (Still officially a military aerodrome although not used by RAF at present). They may have touched down to refuel. they were flying west towards Cape Wrath.

• 4 weeks later...

Beefsteak, I found a site on the Internet that I thought may interest you. It's possible you may already know of the site but if you haven't I'm sure that you'll enjoy it. The site is called 'Stick And Rudder' and the article I looked at was 'Gary Watson's Photos' but there's lots more to look at.

• 2 months later...

Terrific KTJ, the aircraft must be from the Confederate air museum in Messa AZ, often saw vintage planes flying over our house when we lived in Messa.

Made a couple of trips to the museum,I was surprised at the stuff they had.

Thanks' for the video.