Well done it takes some doing i know i havent smoked for nearly 20 yrs now

Well done dgbrit, it's only us reformed smokers who understand how hard it is to stop................well done!!

2 whole years today i quit smoking

792 days

31,685 cigs not smoked

Well done that man. !clapping!

I packed it in 2005 because I had to have major back surgery and the doc told me he wouldn't do it unless I packed in the ciggies.

I never went back to them. Koff koff !!!

Baz :ninja:

Fortunately for me my grandad smoked about 60 a day (he also lived to be 86 by the way!) I hated the smell of cigarette smoke (and even more the smell that got ingrained in clothes and furniture) and just never wanted anything to do with it. From what everybody now says, I get the impression I didn't miss anything. Take my hat off to dgbrit - lot harder to give it up than not to start in the first place.

Well done DGB and good luck to those who are trying to stop.

Thank god I never ever started.

I too hate the smell and the leftovers, it is a filthy habit to those who don't partake.

And I hate those smokers who think the have the god given right to smoke in public areas where NO SMOKING signs are clearly displayed.

1974 was when I kicked the habit. I don't think smokers notice that foul smell they have in their clothes, cars etc... That smell makes me want to puke.

Speaking as an ex-smoker (packed it in about 5 years ago), even when I was smoking there were a couple of things connected with it which I could never understand...

People who smoked in their cars would have an ash-tray piled high with ash and nub-ends which they never seemed to empty, so it overflowed all over the car interior (and the smell in a confined space was incredible)

And people who drive along flicking ash out of the window - or the ones who throw nub-ends out without bothering to see where they land

Very well done to anyone here that has managed to give up the weed, it always sounds so difficult. I've never tried one - never even held one - it's just something that never interested me.

What really turns me over a bit are those scenes outside shopping centres, pubs etc. of waste bins with little piles of cigarette ends placed around the top of them and piles of them scattered all around the ground nearby.

Nicotine is a powerful narcotic Stu. Something we all know but until you've been addicted you have no idea just how difficult it is to train yourself to believe that there is a life without it.

That's one of the reasons I never went there Compo. Couldn't really see the point in adopting a hugely addictive, unhealthy and expensive habit. (I've got a few other ones instead!) At the age when most people were trying their first fags I was more interested in running for Notts AC, and playing football and cricket. These pastimes seemed a bit incongruous with smoking.

It wasnt expensive when we started tho.....now the whole of society is made to look upon smokers as Lepers.....be completely dif'rent if they applied the same rules to booze....and ive never known anyone go and beat up someone else in the street cos he had one cigarette too many.

That's a fair point Kev. However to balance it out, I used to work at one time in a small studio with five other people, four of whom who smoked constantly. To say it was uncomfortable was the understatement of the century. I believe a few people may have died through passive smoking? Anyway, that's a debate I don't really want to get into, I just want the right to breathe freely.

I have smoked since my early teens it is indeed very addictive, I agree with its ban in public places but it rarely annoys me when people read out the riot act on the subject, It is my choice to smoke and never stopped me from competing in at least 30 half marathons during my forties. I packed up for a full year after a mild heart attack but never lost the craving.

This argument about smoking has been going on for a lot of years and I suppose both sides have a point. A person who smokes should have the right and freedom to smoke when they want to. The only problem is that when they smoke in a public area then people, like Stu, have to also breathe in the smoke and go home stinking like an ash tray. Smokers don't smell their clothes and hair like a non-smoker does. Roy Castle is a famous none-smoker who died through inhaling cigarette smoke in the clubs. Since the ban pubs and clubs have designated smoking areas where people form a little 'private club' as they huddle together smoking their fags. Even when it's below freezing outside they'll stand there shivering, with their teeth chattering and have their fix. And, as mgread stated, it costs £8 per packet for the pleasure.

Strange how we are all nostalgic about the old pubs coffee bars and clubs also the upstairs bus decks which were all places where you would become impregnated with tobacco smoke. It has become unfashionable to smoke with some people openly hostile to those that do. Most smokers I know don't smoke even in their own homes or those of their friends it is now an unwritten rule that you go outside, the old addage of smelling like an old ashtray does not apply if no one smokes in a confined space. The hotel we stayed in Antuiga did not provide ashtrays for the guests just a couple of sand holders in the gardens and on the edge of the beach which I noted most smokers used and there were a great many smokers. If we go out for a drink we don't smoke, the one we have when we get home is all the more enjoyable. Just a matter of getting the habit under control and I will not be bullied into stopping.

Strange how we are all nostalgic about the old pubs coffee bars and clubs also the upstairs bus decks which were all places where you would become impregnated with tobacco smoke.

I'm not nostalgic about some of the pubs that were so full of smoke you could hardly breathe in there. Some were a lot worse than others We were brought up with it as 'normal' - I much prefer it now. I'd be happy for smokers to have their own rooms wherever possible, I wouldn't go in there any more.

I would have done anything at the time to avoid going upstairs on a bus when it was full of smoke. Very uncomfortable.