• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How anyone can compare 19th century traffic conditions, horse drawn or not, to the 21st century is beyond me. For one thing the population was nowhere as dense as today. Fortunate pensioners ? Me &a

I nearly placed a post, spent 5 minutes writing it, then read what I wrote, can't use that kind of bad temper and aggravation on you nice people. I'll leave it at this, I will do my best in never bei

Most likely the planners over there are the same as here. Non drivers ! Things look great on a computer screen, but in reality, the outside world is totally different. I wouldn't trust planners with t

Now theres talk of extending the tram across the road from Bardills into Toton Yard to serve the HS2 station then winding its way round the back of Asda to reach the Green at Long Eaton.

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, catfan said:

The trams are off the rails. The city council are off the rails. When is this tram nonsense going to be sorted? When are we going to have an efficient reliable system? 

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

My daughter who lives in Toton has used it to get to Beeston, which is ok. However, when going to the QMC or into Nottingham, then it's quicker to drive. 

I don't know what passes for intelligence on the part of planners these days.  I can't say much about the trams as I have not been in Nottingham since they started running.  Seems to me like the old trolley buses were a good idea before they took them out.

About a mile from where I live our road intersects with a major highway.  Very busy in these days with big trucks etc. It can be miserable to try to turn onto it.  When it clears in one direction traffic is coming in the other.  One of these days somebody is going to get killed there.

The locals have suggested the state install a traffic light.  Oh no!   The powers that be want to put in a traffic island at enormous expense.  This in spite of the fact that traffic islands are rare in the US.  Folks don't know how to handle them and don't want it.

There are traffic lights at a couple of other intersections on this road and there seems to be few problems with them.  Everybody gets a chance to get out.

Whatever happened to common sense?

Most likely the planners over there are the same as here. Non drivers ! Things look great on a computer screen, but in reality, the outside world is totally different. I wouldn't trust planners with the task of assembling the two parts of a match box.

• Upvote 2

I'm going to tread on some toes here. When it was announced that  Nottingham was going to re-introduce trams, I was one of those that thought, oh no, not them again, blocking the roads. HOW WRONG I WAS. They are wonderful. Their timing is so accurate that you can set your watch by them; because the traffic lights give way to them. The sooner they extend the system the better - particularly if they can reduce the bottleneck at the Nuthall island.

If Nottingham has got it wrong, then so has Manchester and other cities, not only in Britain but in other countries. All forms of mechanical transport break down now and then. The trains do and so do aircraft, making travelling a damn sight more awkward than a broken-down tram.  They are here, they are not going away

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, Chulla said:

The trains do and so do aircraft, making travelling a damn sight more awkward than a broken-down tram. 

Not every other day tho !

The planners have made a right blunder with the new island at the Hucknall Rd / Valley Rd junction. There's more lanes, but most folks just seem to take the direct route and jump lanes. The lanes are so wide and sweeping that drivers take the island at a faster pace than is safe. Within the first few weeks of completion, some dummy demolished a bollard and a sign  post.  Plus of course, there's the idiots who don't indicate. Another waste of money, as there was nothing wrong with the old island. No flowers yet  on the new one either ! 

• Upvote 2

Loppylugs, you should come to Northern Arizona and see how many traffic islands we've got. Scads of them and everyone soon got used to them,  and know they keep the traffic flowing much better than traffic lights. 

#68 chulla.....agree chulla.....no jams no parking,QMC visits a doddle.....silent smooth...nice chat on way.....often miss me stop thru gabbing.....

• Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

#68 chulla.....agree chulla.....no jams no parking,QMC visits a doddle.....silent smooth...nice chat on way.....often miss me stop thru gabbing.....

Just frequent breakdowns !   smile2

Mick......once our Beer was 'Frothy'.....but now its froffy Coffee........fings aint what they used to be...........:rolleyes:

71.  I never had trouble with them around Nottingham, Katie.  Drove 'em every day on the ring road and other places. Folks new about which lane to be in and giving way to traffic already in the circle.  That was around 1966 though.  Less traffic overall.  Folks seemed more courteous. I was only in Az once on holiday in the 80s.  Can't say I remember any back then.  There were quite a lot in Edmonton, but they are gradually being removed and seemed to be big problem for a lot of drivers.