• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How anyone can compare 19th century traffic conditions, horse drawn or not, to the 21st century is beyond me. For one thing the population was nowhere as dense as today. Fortunate pensioners ? Me &a

I nearly placed a post, spent 5 minutes writing it, then read what I wrote, can't use that kind of bad temper and aggravation on you nice people. I'll leave it at this, I will do my best in never bei

Most likely the planners over there are the same as here. Non drivers ! Things look great on a computer screen, but in reality, the outside world is totally different. I wouldn't trust planners with t

tony1 - re#28 - quite possibly, but if so there'll be an awful lot of people (I didn't say a lot of awful people!) who will gripe from then til doomsday about the disruption of changing the wires and so-on, that it's old defunct technology and will never catch on !

As a transport fanatic, I absolutely adore trams.

However, I also love Aston Martins. The reason I haven't got one is because I can't afford one. Get the picture?

Maybe they'll bring back steam trains in regular service on the main line because someone with influence can make some side cash out of it.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Must be a case of mistaken identity. The Chilwell trams have been such a b***s up one wonders if we might soon see some white elephants using the overhead cables.

A sorry tale of bad management and Council inefficiency.

They are supposed to be coming up to Ikea...............

What area next for two years of road chaos ?

I reckon Arnold & Kimberley.

There's no stopping "Calamity Jane" once she gets excited.

Looks like I could be wrong !

Talk now of extending Beeston & Chilwell to LONG EATON.

I wonder how many secret meetings they have had.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Nottingham-s-tram-network-extended-Long-Eaton/story-26286656-detail/story.html

I nearly placed a post, spent 5 minutes writing it, then read what I wrote, can't use that kind of bad temper and aggravation on you nice people. I'll leave it at this, I will do my best in never being seen riding on one of these ugly, over engineered, unwelcome things. If the local folk of High Rd Beeston decide to block the tram road on opening day I will be there with them.

• Upvote 3

I appreciate the road chaos etc that this tram work has created but as a visitor to Nottingham now, surely when completed it will be all worth it ?

Around 15 years ago here in Perth WA they started to build a light rail system (almost the same as the Nottm trams), it has cost the earth, caused no end of similar traffic disruption and chaos, but now completed it is simply the best.

It is cheap, well for pensioners it is free between 9-00am and 3-00pm and all public holidays.

Everyone uses it, the only down side now is yes it can become crowded and busy times. but I can drive to a station park my car and be in the city in 25 mins. wit no hassles at all.

Surely with the density of traffic in the city it will be a good thing for Nottingham, after all the chaos and mismanagement is gone and forgotten.

I remember vividly my last visit last September queuing in traffic all down Mansfied road from Sherwood to Trinity square, only to find no where to park and queuing all the way back up to Woodborough road junction before i escaped the traffic chaos which is Nottingham on a Saturday afternoon.

Just my take on it.

• Upvote 2

Luddite :)

See how much chaos the railways caused when they were built(like Victoria in the late 1890s) or when somewhere like The Broad Marsh Centre was built

I suggest that when the trams have been running for about a year all the disruption will be forgot.

P.S.

How much disruption was caused when the first trams were built in Nottingham in the late 19th century?

• Upvote 1

Hardly any, no cars then.

Maybe not but there were plenty of horse-drawn vehicles. I suspect it's more that this was the first affordable transport for ordinary folk whereas these days many people seem to be able to run a car even if they're on long term state benefits. Not saying they shouldn't before I get drowned out with angry pensioners; just that we sometimes forget how fortunate we are these days.

• Upvote 1

How anyone can compare 19th century traffic conditions, horse drawn or not, to the 21st century is beyond me.

For one thing the population was nowhere as dense as today.

Fortunate pensioners ? Me & Mrs Catfan woked hard to contribute to private pensions for many years.

• Upvote 3

#41 Luddite :)

See how much chaos the railways caused when they were built(like Victoria in the late 1890s) or when somewhere like The Broad Marsh Centre was built

Exactly. This is Thurland Street in the 1890s for the Great Central. If the internet had existed then, the moaners would have had a field day.

clin.jpg

• Upvote 1

Nottingham at one time was the most densely populated town in country including London

The situation was not eased until the development of the Meadows in the 1860s

Nottingham was grossly over crowded because of the corporation's(town council's) refusal to enclose any land for expansion till 1845.

I was on a tram recently (before the swipe cards)and a conductress said she used to be a bus driver.

People with free bus passes used to have a go at her if she would not allow them on the bus before 9.30.

Sorry you are "too early".

Hence the oldies got known as "Twirlies"