Where would you move to given the choice?

We have decided that we are going to move on.

My other half wants to move to pastures new. Distance is not an issue.

We are traveling down south soon to view properties.

One possibility is the west country, however the property prices are steep.

I do note that west on the M4 into South Wales the property prices drop drastically.

But would not have any idea what its like to live in that area.

Would prefer to be within striking distance of the coast and nice countryside.

Country or city.

Where would you move to in the UK if you could?

Alternatively somewhere abroad.

Please give us some ideas?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The wife and I are having a sea change....have bought a place with two and a half acres overlooking the Tamar valley and river down in Tasmania, sold the house here in Melbourne and we move, lock, sto

1960's Nottingham Rog

#107,would just ORM all day

Moving north, gets colder?

I will check it on Zoopla

Oh and I forgot to ask, why would you move to your chosen spot?

I'm more than happy where I am, can get a little hair raising during tornado season, but we are lucky we don't get many around here.

Still got to be (Going to be) Cornwall for me.

One problem here though, we have all these telly programmes bulling Cornwall up , that property prices have stayed high down there, a couple of years ago I could have got a house the same as mine for the same price, now I'd be lucky to get a shed for what mine would fetch.

The North Devon summerset house prices are high whilst just over the bridge into wales they drop drastically.

A Zoopla radius search does not account for the water, and brings back numerous cheap houses in wales.

Is it such a bad place to live that the houses commend such low prices.

Look at this little fixer upper...5 bedroom terraced home for sale

Depends what you want when you get there. I know and visit friends who live in Llandudno, North Wales, and I really like the place, quiet and civilsed with no apparent chav culture. But some people might find it too boring and dull. It's not a place to go if you spend your life in clubs and fast-moving nightlife. And prices are reasonable.

I lived just a short walk from the sea when I lived in Wollongong, NSW Aust. I much preferred living inland. I went looking at property in northern Montana many years back, beautiful up in the mountains...BUT OOOOOOOOOO so bloody cold in winter.

Nice in Wyoming too, but again, verrrrrryyyyy cowd in winter. Got fed up with "Kalifornia" Politics and just the two seasons.

South Wales is rough (Meant in the nicest possible way) due to the mining and Iron and Steel industries, it's all hard work and produces "Hard" men !! I like it though, I used to do a lot of work down there when the pits were opperational (Even had a pint with Tom Jones and his Dad once on an overnighter!)

North Wales is great , the population is mostly coastal, the places not to live (IMHO) in North Wales are the Conahs Quay, Mostyn, Flint and Holywell areas along the Dee estuary, as they are full of Scouse escapees, they all talk like Scousers too, and they think the world owes them a living. They're all in the Iron and Steal industries too. The women do the ironing , the men do the Stealing !

Central Wales is very beautiful, sparcely populated and full of fantastic wildlife, (Flora, Aves and Fauna) but the house prices do tend to reflect this. (Mind you saying that, I've just been looking at prices over on the west coast of Wales and found a 5 bedroom house up for £110,000 !! . We're going to have a run out tomorrow now !! Not that we want one of course !

If I could afford to live anywhere in England it would be a small village in Derbyshire - a cottage within walking (staggering) distance of a really good pub!

Over here - I really like southern Virginia - decent climate, great scenery, low taxes and VERY affordable housing!

110,000 pounds Ian??? That would buy you a mansion on acreage over here!! Not sure what land costs around here now, must ask the missus, but used to be around $1000 an acre not that long back, or less than 500 quid an acre if you want UK currency.

Round here a 3 bedroom semi with a little bit of land (Like mine) are going for around £120,000 . (30 grand down on 5 years ago !)

I must admit, I did like The Cheshire area when driving through to Manchester airport.

Crackin' cheese Grommit :)

I must let you do my Forex for me in future John :)

Some of the cheapest land in the country around here Mick, if land has a live spring or a water course flowing through it, it's obviously going to fetch a premium.

I'll ask the missus tonight what the current average land price per acre is, she's the expert being a licensed Real Estate Broker with her own agency.

From what she told me a few weeks back, land prices haven't dropped that much around here at all during the recession.

LOL - yes, Youlgrave fits the bill very nicely, but I need to win the lottery first!

Over here there are a lot of places where property is relatively inexpensive - at one time we looked at Manistee, on the west side of Michigan and a 2500sq ft home across the road from a private beach was selling for under $200,000. At the moment, it is still hard to beat Florida for good prices and amenities but you have to shop very carefully!