Where would you move to given the choice?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The wife and I are having a sea change....have bought a place with two and a half acres overlooking the Tamar valley and river down in Tasmania, sold the house here in Melbourne and we move, lock, sto

1960's Nottingham Rog

#107,would just ORM all day

It's not a matter of choice, for me. It's a matter of health. If I had good health .... IF ONLY !

Me too...........

• Upvote 1

Not as exciting as USA or Portugal or Caribbean, but travelling to Derby with the wife and finding different routes to get there came across a small village just outside of Ilkeston, Called Stanley, typical english village, pub, church, shop, about 40 houses and two farms. were we younger working age would love to move there.

• Upvote 1

Anywhere where I've got my special friends with me. Home is where the heart is.

Wherever you are, when the gate is shut and the door locked , it's sanctuary. My little haven ........ Or heaven.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Blondie, ask Compo if he's looking for a lodger. :biggrin:

I would like to live on the Isle of Skye where my ancestors come from......

• Upvote 1

The wife and I are having a sea change....have bought a place with two and a half acres overlooking the Tamar valley and river down in Tasmania, sold the house here in Melbourne and we move, lock, stock and smoking barrels, in 3 weeks.

• Upvote 6

Sounds lovely. It sounds quite a change for you - from city to countryside. Hope all the packing and preparations will go well for you both.

• Upvote 1

Thanks MargieH....Exactly the opposite....both the wife and I were bought up in the country and we have spent most of our lives where we have had paddocks instead of neighbours.

It will be like going back to our roots, so to speak. Actually, it has so much in common with were I was raised in ROT, similar sized land area, backing onto to cliffs overlooking a river, peace and quiet.

Packing and removal is one headache we will not have - just a bloody great expense. Removalists will pack everything for us and it will be shipped over to Tasmania by the ferry and then onto the new home.

The preparation of everything else, particularly utilities, conveyancing and every other thing associated with moving is compounded by the distance and Tasmania being only accessible by air or sea.

Still, on the night of the 16th of August, we set sail for a new life.....still trying to convince someone that a horse or two would be great. A big NO at the moment though.

• Upvote 1

Trevor, sounds fair dinkum, I hope all goes smoothly for the move and that you and Mrs T are very happy there. When I read your post I thought that you were moving to Cornwall!

• Upvote 1

I wish you all the best in your new home in Tasmania, Trevor. I see you will set sail on the 16th August, which is my birthday, so when my family raise a toast for my birthday I will raise a toast to you and your wife at the start of your new life in Tasmania.

Trevor, I lived in Zeehan for the first couple of months after migrating to Oz in 79. Climate got to me, way too wet, so left for the mainland in November of that year.

Wished digital cameras had been around back then, would have had a ball taking thousands of photos from around that area, Queenstown, Renison Bell, Rosebery etc.

• 6 months later...

We once seriously considered moving to Shetland. I could have found work and housing was less expensive. We love Shetland. However our son was half way through secondary school and we decided it was not a good idea to uproot him then. Our plans were shelved then he went to Aberdeen University! Ironic! Other circumstances have kept us here and actually it has been for the best.

• 3 months later...

My thoughts too.

I know I had originally said Cornwall, and whilst I still love the place it's proved too expensive for us, so our house came off the market and we resigned our selves to staying here a while longer.

I was chatting with my neurologist and telling her I was off to Tenerife for a break shortly, she has suggested it would be better for my condition to move somewhere warm. I jokingly mentioned it to SWMBO and she immediately got the ball rolling, no kidding, straight home and on the internet !

We have agreed on the Costa Del Azahar, (The Orange Blossom Coast, and it truly is!) It's between the Costa Blanca (Too many 'Urbanizations' (British housing estates for want of a better description!) for my liking) and The Costa Dorada to the north, as SWMBO has relatives in Gandia and I have friends near Torrevieja. (Remember Radio Trent DJ Chris the mouth' Ashley? that's him and his wife Margaret)

SWMBO found a beautiful property near a town called Oliva between Gandia and Denia, just in the Costa Del Azahar, 3 beds, massive covered out door living space, pool, BBQ area, established citrus orchard, a big piece of land too, 1 KM to the blue flag beach,1KM to the town, the list goes on, and all for €80,000. Well to say we fell in love with it is a minor statement, but after careful consideration of the kids education we have put the permanent move onto the back burner for now and instead are looking at getting a cheap 'bolt hole' so we can fly out for the school holidays and drive over for 5/6 weeks in the summer.

I was messing around looking for fishing spots in the area and found the Xúquer river system, which starts high in the mountains near Albacete and winds it's way through several "Embalse" (Reservoirs) over 250 KMs to the sea at a place called Cullera.

Whilst doing this 'research' I came upon a town called Polinya de Xúquer about 12 kms in land from the beaches of Cullera. I found a couple of flats in the town and we shot over for a 'day trip' (I know!) to have a look, whilst the properties weren't to our liking (Too many stairs and no lifts!) we fell in love with the town itself, so it's now a matter of keeping our eyes and ears open when we go back out in a few weeks time, see what we can see and afford!.